Former NICU moms....

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.
iansmom

Re : Former NICU moms....

Postby iansmom » Thu Dec 14, 2006 01:56 pm

What a wonderful plan! I did the same sort of thing as a Thank You for the NICU staff a couple of weeks before Ian was discharged. We had food brought in at two different times of day to accommodate staff changes. I never thought about anyone doing it for those of us "stationed" there. I agree with the beverages - great need there. I lived off of individual yogurts, cheese sticks, fruits & vegs - anything easy to pack in the breastpump bag! You & your friend are so sweet. I hope it goes well.

christine lyn

Postby christine lyn » Tue Dec 12, 2006 05:55 pm

Heather,
This is a great idea. My son was in the NICU for his first Christmas. A buffet sounds good but something that would be quick to eat or munch on. My son was in an isolette and we were not aloud to take food in neither. Coffee sounds great too. Also to have enough recliner chairs would be a big help since your there all day and need to rest yourself. Maybe some personal items like a toothbrush and small things to clean up if you live far away is a big help. Anything you do will be very much appreciated from all the families.

emersons mom

Postby emersons mom » Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:42 am

what a great idea!!! From our experience we would have welcomed something to drink...iced, hot tea, coffee, lemonade or juice....we were always thirsty but never had much of an appetite....maybe dinner rolls with deli meats, cheese so people could make sandwiches that were hand to mouth eatable on the quick, in our nicu we could not take food or drink to the isolette.

jaymee444

Postby jaymee444 » Mon Dec 11, 2006 07:03 am

clean clothes, a hot shower and a cot next to the isolette woould be good. lol
The gesture is wonderful and so very kind..I remember my nicu days all too well and ANY kind gesture makes the difference.. Bless your soul for all that you will be doing on xmas day.. Also, I think the freedom of what time to eat would do the parents well. SOmetimes its a tough day at the nicu and you can't eat at the proper meal times..

fiona
Forum Moderator

Postby fiona » Mon Dec 11, 2006 02:35 am

heather,

what a wonderful idea - I can't think of anything that better sums up the Christmas spirit. Personally, I would recommend a buffet - that way people can come and go as they please (which might work better around different babies' feeding schedules etc) and it also offers the possibility of mixing and sharing support and stories, rather than going back to an empty room.

I was just along the road from home, so I just camped out all day - I'm sure others will have more suggestions for those far away from home.

heather j
Forum Moderator

Former NICU moms....

Postby heather j » Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:41 pm

A close friend's son is turning two the day before Christmas. He has spent 15 of his 24 months in NICU due to a diaphramatic (sp?) hernia which has resulted in over 14 surgeries. They've spent the past two Christmases with the immediate family driving across the state to spend the holiday together. This meant loading up 3 other children under the age of 4 and moving Christmas there for a day. This year, he gets to be home for the first time!

Due to the experiences of spending Christmas away from home, with no eateries open, and no family around, the mother and her family (including several members of our church) are working out details to serve a Christmas meal to families stationed at the NICU at the Children's Hospital with their babies. Is there any advice any of you could offer to help make this a worthy effort for the families there? My little guy didn't spend time in NICU, but I really feel led (especially after getting to "know" many of you and only narrowly escaping the NICU myself) to help out in any way possible and plan on being there Christmas day. What would you suggest we bring? Anything you would have wanted besides food? Especially those of you away from home at the time...and in terms of food, would a buffet have been better or prepared meals you could take back to your rooms?

Thank you all in advance for anything you can think of to help us make this work! [:)]

Return to “Parents of Preemies”