Had our little guy

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.
angelkat

Re : Had our little guy

Postby angelkat » Sun Nov 26, 2006 07:49 pm

Congrats on the birth of Jaden

Praying he's home soon!

julie f

Postby julie f » Sun Nov 26, 2006 07:44 pm

Mary,

Congratulations on the birth of your son Jaden! I'm so sorry though that he's had a rough start and wasn't able to come home with you. My prayers are with him for a very short NICU stay.

How sweet is your older son Sean, what a little man!

Keep us posted!

brooklynsmom

Postby brooklynsmom » Sun Nov 26, 2006 06:52 pm

Congratulations...keeing you in my prayers for a speedy homecoming!

alexp

Postby alexp » Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:46 pm

((((HUGS))))) Mary.

I am glad to hear that Jaden is here (and WOW at 7lbs 10 oz), but so sorry he had to go to NICU. I remember leaving my daughters behind at the hospital - it was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do.

Here's hoping that little Jaden makes a very speedy recovery! You guys will be in my thoughts and prayers. Please keep us posted when you have time -

khailibowen

Had our little guy

Postby khailibowen » Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:16 pm

On Tuesday we had our little guy Jaden Teague, born at 35.5 weeks due to chronic hypertension. I was discharged today and we had to leave him there. I am heartbroken.

The very very short of it, My bp's were slowly increasing even with bp meds 4x's a day. Dr. B was very concerned about my bp as the week before it was in the 160-170's/100+ range and we decided that weighing the risk/benefits we needed to deliver at 36 weeks. That would have put it on Thanksgiving day so we chose earlier in the week, so Tuesday morning it was. Jaden was breech so we had to have a c/s. At first we thought everything was fine, especially when our whopping 35.5 weeker came out at 7lbs 10oz and 19 inches long (and they were constantly telling me he was going to be a small baby). Unfortunately, he blood glucose was alarmingly low, way way low and his respiration was alarmingly high and he was retracting air. They had to put a tube down into his tummy to suck the air out and put him on an IV. Things when downhill from there and he was moved from the hospitals Level II nursery to the NICU (on a whole different floor) that evening he's had continued problems since that has involved minor surgery and a few other issues. He has been there since. I have been pumping like crazy as I have not been able to nurse him. Only today did I get to hold him for the very first time to feed him his ebm. I was so scared with all his tubes and leads and such, but we did it and it was so sweet. He has this one IV that they had to stick into his belly button and if it gets pulled out he will bleed profusely, so we have to be very careful. Dr. B let me stay in the hospital an extra day just so I can stay near to him and pump, I have been pumping every 2 hours round the clock. I had to say goodbye to him today, even though I will be back tomorrow of course and keep going back until he comes home, it was still a very difficult thing to do. Things were looking up yesterday and today, so we are hoping for an early week homecoming.

Sean is so excited about his baby brother. Today he went into the NICU to see him. He had to put on a mask and he was very conflicted about it, I mean we could really see in his face the conflict when we showed him the mask, I think it was all very scary to him. . It took him a day to decide to wear it, we were not going to force the mask on him of course but he really wanted to see him so bad, so we let him take his time. He was watching him through the window and talking about how he really wanted to go in and see him so daddy talked again about the mask and he decided to put it on and go inside. He was so excited. He's been talking about baby brother nonstop just about, I can't wait until we get to bring him home.

Return to “Parents of Preemies”