Who's NOT getting Synagis for the second year?

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.
amiejo

Re : Who's NOT getting Synagis for the second year?

Postby amiejo » Wed Nov 08, 2006 09:01 am

Ty isn't getting it this year. We worry because he had croup 3 times last year that ended up with a hospital stay for respiratory emergancies. Even with that, the doctor doesn't think he needs it this year. He did give up a nebulizer (sp?) for the season and gets his flu shot next week. He is at the 5% for his age. He is doing well right now but seems to have a constant cold!

jenndola
Forum Moderator

Postby jenndola » Wed Nov 08, 2006 01:37 am

Gabe won't be getting it this year. Our ped hasn't even brought it up, and I'm not too worried about it. He's almost a normal kid at this point, even if his weight is a bit on the low side of the percentage points. Hey, I'm happy he's even on the charts for his chronological age!

I think a big consideration, sadly enough, is if your insurance would even cover it. Most insurances won't cover it once your preemie is past 12 months unless he or she has a continuing health problem, such as chronic lung disease. You can't really blame the insurance companies--they're in line with the recommendations from the American Academy of Pediatrics, which can be found here: http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/c ... 102/5/1211

alexp

Postby alexp » Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:23 pm

Mine are well past that stage now, but we did not do synagis for their second year. They were 32 weekers and weighed 3'1 and 3'11 at birth. They were in about the 50%tile at 15 months, which is how old they would have been at the start of the second synagis season. They had no heart or respiratory problems - if they had, we might have considered it more strongly. They were also breastfeeding throughout that second year (not an option for everyone, but that was a big reason I continued it through the second winter - I wanted that extra immune boost).

They did very well - even with my oldest starting preschool that fall and bringing home lots of new germs. But again, they were at a larger height and weight, they were not micropreemies, and they had no heart or respiratory issues or other ongoing health issues.

darcynulph

Postby darcynulph » Tue Nov 07, 2006 09:39 pm

My 30 weeker that was 2 pounds 3.5 ounces is now 18/mo and is not getting it either. They told me to be happy that she is so healthy. I have one dose in my frig that I will have them give her (the pharmacy over shipped it last year and my insurance paid for it-my dd's weight would go up and down so we have a surplus) We have gone back into self induced quarantine for the winter. I agree on the hand sanitizer and wet ones, but I also use Clorox wipes and Lysol spray, we never go into fast food places or to public play areas.

kara
Forum Moderator

Postby kara » Tue Nov 07, 2006 07:50 pm

My 31 weeker (29 week IUGR) will be 1 year old on Saturday. She was 2.12lbs, and is barely 3% for her age. She is not getting Synagis this year as pedi doesn't think she needs it...even though she still has PDA. I think the biggest factor in this decision is that she does not go to daycare. If she were in daycare she would probably get it. Keep the hand sanitizer and wet ones in heavy supply!

paige_va

Who's NOT getting Synagis for the second year?

Postby paige_va » Tue Nov 07, 2006 07:29 pm

Now, I have to admit, I was shocked to learn at her 15 month appointment that my 34 week 3.5 pounder was now in the 90% for height and the 75% for weight for her actual age, and I know that she's come a long way in the last year, but I'm nevertheless still a little concerned that she won't be getting Synagis this year. Her doctor said that she was no longer a candidate and that she would only need the flu shot this season. On the one hand I'm thrilled that her doctor doesn't believe that she needs the Synagis. On the other, I've heard horror stories about what RSV can do to preemies, even in the second year. What have your doctors told you???

Return to “Parents of Preemies”