No end in sight

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.
kelly1972

Re : No end in sight

Postby kelly1972 » Mon Nov 13, 2006 09:07 am

Sonnet,

Just thought I would ask how Jack was doing. I hope he is well on his way to coming home any day now. Let us know how he is doing if you are able. Take care.

bonnie
Forum Moderator

Postby bonnie » Wed Nov 08, 2006 00:17 am

I remember one day in the NICU w/ my ds being told that he'd be home by the weekend. He was our first "NICU" baby (and clearly, nowhere near the struggles your Jack has experienced). He had battled sepsis and couldn't be fed for quite some time. When Friday came and the nurse said he'd be there through the weekend --at least--, I burst into tears. I just didn't understand how they could change their minds on me like that. After calming down, and listening to the dr, I realized that he would, eventually, make his way to our home. I didn't want to bring him home, only to have to bring him back.

He did make it home. And now, 4 1/2 years later, he's my little "know it all".

Thinking of you and Jack. . .

kara
Forum Moderator

Postby kara » Tue Nov 07, 2006 07:19 pm

Our NICU never gave us a "go home" date to look forward to...for just this reason. Babies in the NICU wax and wane. They can have a great week and then setback several. We were told the afternoon before DD was to come home. Nothing like short notice...but then we never got our hopes up. I'm sorry you are going thru this. Just remember the docs and nurses are not there to try and keep him longer for no reason. They truly have his best interest in mind. And A's & B's are better tended to in the NICU. Maybe he will come home with a monitor if he meets all the other criteria. DD met all the criteria except weight. They made the exception and sent the 3.5 pounder home. She was drinking less than an ounce per feeding and was allowed to breast feed ONLY once a day, no more. There is a lot of time until the 27th, so we will keep you guys in our prayers that he catches on real soon and you can be done with the NICU!!

season
Forum Moderator

Postby season » Tue Nov 07, 2006 05:24 pm

As I recall, things like feeding really do click in. It will seem like nothing is changing adn then all of a sudden he will get it. I hope that day will be soon for you. So sorry about the waiting and dissapointment. Keep cheering that little guy on!

youtan

Postby youtan » Tue Nov 07, 2006 04:51 pm

We had similar frustrations nearing the proposed 'release' date. Its so hard, because you so must want to get him outta there, away from all that noise, but still so worried about everything. We were given various estimates as well, and when we finally got the go-ahead, we were surprised thinking it would be another week at least.

Remember, the one-day-at-a-time mantra is just as valid for this waiting period. Know that I'm praying for you guys!!!

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Tue Nov 07, 2006 02:11 pm

quote:Originally posted by djdivajennie

No matter which day he comes home... it will be Thanksgiving!

That is just *so* spot-on.

Grow, Jack -- your mama needs you to come home.

jenn
Forum Moderator

Postby jenn » Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:12 am

Hey Sonnet,
For me 'home stretch-"itis"' (the time where your sooooo close you can taste it) is the second hardest part to the birth.
And the nurses should never have built your heart up like that.
Now your dissapointed and my heart breaks.

No matter which day he comes home... it will be Thanksgiving!

Try not to let holiday pressure get to you and your family.
No matter where the day is spent.... you get to hold him close.

all my love, Jenn

sonnet15

Postby sonnet15 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:28 am

Thank you everyone...

His due date was Nov. 27, so we had been planning on him coming home around then, but then the darn doctor and nurses started mentioning how he'd only be there for possibly 3 more weeks (this was 3 weeks ago) and it seems like we're about at the same point we were then. He's at 40ccs every 3 hours, spread over an hour. He does have his bradys during feeding, although sometimes just randomly, not nearly as often as during the feedings. I'm adjusting myself to going back to not looking forward, to just looking at this particular day. It seems like that's the only way to do it and get through with at least part of your sanity. Now, I rather hope for Thanksgiving at home, but have alternate plans, just in case.
This part is almost rougher than when he was still in the isolette and was more sick, and I'm not sure why that is.

jenn
Forum Moderator

Postby jenn » Mon Nov 06, 2006 09:36 pm

I don't have a whole lot to add, other than I wanted to send out my hugs and support!!!!
I was there 5 years ago and the memories are like yesterday.
Someone else calling all shots when your the mommy is intense to no end...it's like bootcamp for the heart. Though when your final NICU day is behind you and your home - it melts away.
Your melting day is near I can feel it - cause I think that's when we get most antsie.
I will never forget.... the last day Jai was there just to gain weight... I made sure she had a full feeding before they weighed her! Just so I could get my girlie home. ;o)

In my prayers!
Jenn

caitlynsmama

Postby caitlynsmama » Mon Nov 06, 2006 05:29 pm

Caitlyn went through the same thing Sonnet. I got so frustrated and tired of asking when she was going to make it up to what they called the transitional nursery (the one before they go home) that I burst out crying in the middle of the NICU one day in front of her doctor and wouldn't you know, she was moved like in a day or so. But, she had trouble with feedings until she was around 35, to 36 weeks gestation and then everything did click. She did come home with an apnea monitor though but we were able to get rid of it within a month. She only had to be on it when she would be sleeping for a long period of time. If one of us was up and able to check on her, the doc did not need us to have her hooked up. Anyway, just wanted to give you a few comforting words from a former preemie mom that things will work out, just take it one day at a time. I know and the rest of the moms here know how hard it is. I pray for you and your family some peace and that Jack will be home with you soon.

Return to “Parents of Preemies”