When did you start taking your preemie out?

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.
shel81495

Re : When did you start taking your preemie out?

Postby shel81495 » Tue Apr 19, 637672 11:43 am

Other then Dr appointments I have taken Josh to my sisters twice, and to my moms a few times. He has been in 2 stores since being discharged but like Alex that was for emergencies and I was passing it from the Dr appointment! LOL We had a power failure right after he came home so we had to go to a friends house for awhile and he has been to Church 3 times but everyone their knows the 'rules'. He was dedicated to the Lord this past sunday and it was a very special day, our pastor had held him for the first time and it was such a joy! We haven't had ANY problems with sickness and Josh was very small and discharged before his due date.

alexp

Postby alexp » Mon Mar 28, 637672 6:15 pm

Honestly? I'm embarrassed to admit it, but mine were almost one before they'd gone anywhere other than the doctor's office. Well, we went to Target once, but it was an emergency (out of tp, LOL). And I walked really really fast through the store.

I also managed to alienate almost all of our friends and family during this time. Some of them have forgiven me [;)].

Parker had a frightening bout with RSV when he was 9 months old, so I think that had me really spooked about germs, especially since he was 36 weeker and the girls only 32.

deerhart

Postby deerhart » Mon Mar 28, 637672 3:29 pm

Alex wasn't a preemie but due to his low birth weight the doc advised us to wait 4 months until we really took him anywhere and if we did take him to somewhere like the mall/store to keep him covered and to use the buggy/pram feature of our stroller to keep people as far away from his head as possible.

I think we ventured out a little early, about 3 months of age (july of that year) to a family reunion, but he had gained so much weight by that time as well.

brooklynsmom

Postby brooklynsmom » Mon Mar 28, 637672 2:56 pm

We kept Brooklyn pretty much at home besides Dr.'s appointments until after RSV season was over and she had hit her due date. This was easier for us, since it was only a few months! We had our first mall debut at 3 months, but I was still very cautious about who touched her, and I kept her covered up. When friends or family came over, I didn't let anyone touch her unless they had washed and sanitized their hands. I have a few friends who are teachers, and if they came right from school I had them change their clothes. Maybe that was a little over the top, but there are SO many germs in a school I didn't want to take a chance!

fiona
Forum Moderator

Postby fiona » Fri Mar 18, 637672 8:27 am

We kept Jay in until his due date. He was born in winter, which made us more cautious, and we didn't have visitors to the house until his due date either. After that, I think I just kept him out of malls, supermarkets and the like for a couple more months (memory is getting hazy), but too him out for walks well wrapped up, when we stayed outside. By about 5 months I started taking him to mom and baby group without incident- I made a big effort to be watchful without being over-protective, which wasn't always easy.

heather j
Forum Moderator

Postby heather j » Fri Mar 18, 637672 7:45 am

My son wasn't technically a preemie, though he was early and small. We kept him away from people for several weeks. I think the most important step is to know where you're going and who will be there (family gatherings and sicknesses). We had to stress over and over that even a cough and sneezes needed to be communicated to us because he was small and we didn't want to chance it. Also, we made everyone who touched him use sanitizer. I also kept him in his seat/stroller and covered at all times. You also have to be ready to tell people (especially strangers, sometimes family) that you don't want him touched or don't want other kids putting thier toys, etc. up to him. Nicolas has tons of cousins and this was a big issue for us; they all wanted to "share" and touch. Best wishes to you!

lucy

Postby lucy » Fri Mar 18, 637672 7:31 am

Wanted to add we also wash our hands a ton and carry hand santizer and germ x wipes or wet ones antibacterial wipes with us wherever we go. We also got Pertussis boosters and made his grandparents get them as well so they can come over assuming they are not at all sick.

lucy

Postby lucy » Fri Mar 18, 637672 7:25 am

Sarina techinically isnt a preemie but like you we havent allowed any visitors over and the only place we take her is to the peds for her appts and even there I keep her covered up and make the Dr and nurse wash their hands and wear gloves.

darcynulph

Postby darcynulph » Fri Mar 18, 637672 7:24 am

Madeline was born April 19th, discharged on June 4th and only went to Doctors appointments until September. She started at a in home day care in October and didn't go out in public from October until April (RSV season). We are talking about doing the same thing this year.

emersons mom

Postby emersons mom » Fri Mar 18, 637672 5:58 am

When I take him anywhere, his doctor, my doctor, market,post office, he is in the carseat with the sun shade over him and a blanket completely covering him .....i wash the blanket everyday and the ped said just to be careful and make anyone that touches him wash their hands....he hit 10 pounds..... and just this last weekend we had a bbq (60 family and friends) to celebrate his birth and kept him in a mosquito netted tent and anyone that went in the tent had to antiseptic gel their hands...most were not keen on my paranoia...so only the grammas and 2 friends went in to hold him...most others could see him through the netting. We have had only a few family members over and they had to wash their hands before they touched or held him.......i am sure they all think I am overly protective but if he gets sick i will never forgive myself.

Return to “Parents of Preemies”