When did you start taking your preemie out?

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.
gilma

Re : When did you start taking your preemie out?

Postby gilma » Sat Nov 03, 637674 1:31 am

I have to say that I'm with Meg on this one. I was reading through all of the replies thinking "Jeez! What was I doing!?!?!?!" Iris pretty much went everywhere we went from the get go. She was also the first baby in our entire family in 16 years! People were over visiting all the time from day 1. I do however live in Florida where the temp only drops below 90 once in a blue moon (ok so that's a little far fetched but you get my drift.) Anyway, I guess in a lot of ways I'm really blessed. I was nothing if not ignorant and she is happy and healthy as a horse and has been since the day she came home.

holliadrienne

Postby holliadrienne » Thu Oct 11, 637674 10:00 pm

my son was technically not a preemie but was low birth weight, when we brought him home he weighed 4lbs 4oz and even though the dr said he was perfectly fine i didn't take him out for 3-4 weeks. And last week he had a virus and had diarrhea and a fever and I was so upset, but he is fine and even with the diarrhea all that night he weighed a whopping 8lbs 5oz at the dr the next day!

many friends and family members tell me i am too neurotic and overprotective, but i really don't care...i am his mother and what i say goes! do what you feel comfortable with...

tracym

Postby tracym » Sun Sep 30, 637674 6:02 am

Taking out as in going for walks in the pram, as soon as we got home. Taking her out as in "in public" not until around her due date. I offended my dad's friends as they wanted to come and see her when she'd just come home (she was 35 weeks) and I said no, not for another few weeks. I explained that she was still a hospital patient and I had to treat her as such. When I finally did let them come a few weeks later, they brought their 9 month old granddaughter with them!!! WTF? Were they not listening to what I said? So I left Kate asleep in her cradle, and only unwrapped her so they could have a look just as they were leaving.

rachel a

Postby rachel a » Sat Aug 25, 637674 9:05 pm

We kept Dylan in until he reached 10 pounds. Extreme, some thought... but he was born in October and flu season, cold season, RSV, and all the other terrible stuff was just getting started and we didn't want to risk it. We also didn't allow family over until he was at his due date and then only immediate family. They, of course, had to wash their hands and only got to hold Dylan for a limited time.

browncow

Postby browncow » Sat Aug 25, 637674 9:24 am

I was along the lines of Hannah's Mom (as posted above): home for close to two months then at daycare five days a week once I returned to work.

Be prepared when taking a wee one out in public, everyone-friends and strangers-wants to see the tiny baby up close and personal (being surrounded in a store by people you don't know can be a bit overwhelming and unsettling). I recall a few times when folks remarked about what a "lifelike doll" I was holding and wanted to know where my child was.

meg hanrahan

Postby meg hanrahan » Fri Aug 24, 637674 10:13 pm

Boy, you ladies make me feel like a bad mother. Isabella was born in the winter (but in CA) so for the most part she was kept indoors. But I didn't limit her exposure to people as long as they washed their hands. My friends had my baby shower four weeks after her birth and all my friends held her. My parents came to help me out once she came home from the hospital, and Isabella use to sleep on my father's chest. Also we took her to church, the grocery store, post office, my doctor's, her doctor's etc. Also on nice days, I would go for walks in my neighborhood - get some sun on her face etc. (I'd walk with her in the Baby Bjorn). She was in daycare at 12 weeks because I had to go back to work. She was getting RSV shots every month until May though. And once baseball season started, she was at Pac Bell Park cheering on the Giants with me. She also flew on a plant to Hawaii at six months (I had to work there for a month). Reading what you all do makes me feel like I put my child in great harm.

josiah1112

Postby josiah1112 » Thu May 26, 637672 6:35 pm

Thanks for asking about Max,Lucy.I think Max feels a little
inconvenienced by his new sibling sometimes.Most of the time he is
just checking him out. He is like a little sponge taking everything
in.He has learned to mimick Jeffrey's cry and whenever we have to
go anywhere ie a doctor's appointment(two car seats in the back of the car) he will throw Jeffrey his toys:) I can't wait 'til
Jeffrey is older and they can play together.

lucy

Postby lucy » Thu Apr 21, 637672 7:10 pm

Gloria, def do what you feel most comfortable with, I dont know that I believe there is such a thing as being overprotective when it comes to keep babies healthy lol, my dhs grandma hasnt even meant Sarina yet and Sarinas over a month although since she and his grandpa got their Pertussis boosters we did tell her she can come by as long as she is not sick and changes her clothes right before coming over than of course we will make her wash her hands than santize as well[;)]. How are the boys doing by the way? Is Max liking having a baby brother?

josiah1112

Postby josiah1112 » Thu Apr 21, 637672 5:47 pm

Well, we are going to wait some more to take Jeffrey anywhere other
than the doctors only today did we start accepting a few screened
friends.They know NOT to bring children or a spouse:) A bit over
protective?You bet but I am also following what was recommended in a
book called Preemies.Thanks for sharing your experiences everyone!

hannahsmom

Postby hannahsmom » Wed Apr 20, 637672 1:47 pm

Hannah came home from the hospital in early December, and we didn't take her out except to the doctor for the first 2 months she was home, and then we took her to a babysitter 5 days a week after that, plus to doctor appointments, but never anywhere else until June. We wanted to make sure RSV season was over! Even in June we rarely took her anywhere. I think she was actually about a year old before she went anywhere in public [:)]

I'm just a wee bit overprotective [;)]

Return to “Parents of Preemies”