How contagious in pneuomnia?

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.
browncow

Re : How contagious in pneuomnia?

Postby browncow » Mon Mar 20, 2006 09:00 am

Connor had a collapsed lung at birth, surgery within her first hour, and pneumonia and sepsis when she was two days old; hers was a type that's definitely not contagious but the result of mitigating circumstances/existing conditions.

hannahsmom

Postby hannahsmom » Sat Mar 18, 2006 09:58 pm

I always thought pnenomia wasn't contagious, but then Hannah came down with it a couple of years ago when she was in daycare. The doctor said he wouldn't be surprised if she had caught it at daycare, and he explained that there are different types of pnemonia. Best of luck with your little one. Go with your gut feelings when it comes to the health of your baby.

lucy

Postby lucy » Sat Mar 18, 2006 05:24 pm

I just wanted to wish you luck, I hope your little man stays well.

onfaith

Postby onfaith » Fri Mar 17, 2006 06:37 pm

laura - you are going to have to give me the name of the wipes you found...and I am definitely looking for the mini spray cans....yea!!!!!!

Thanks!

laura

Postby laura » Fri Mar 17, 2006 03:06 pm

quote:Originally posted by onfaith

also.............if they made mini lysol spray cans, I would have a dozen with me at all times.

[:I]They do, and I have one. Also, I saw some spray at ToysRUs the other day that is intended for getting rid of germs on tables and toys. Ooh, and I saw a new antibacterial spray that's safe enough to use on highchairs and stuff (or where little mouths go) at walmart. It sounds like science and retail is catching up with us!

onfaith

Postby onfaith » Fri Mar 17, 2006 02:59 pm

Cindy - lots of prayers your way that Aiden doesn't get sick. I couldn't imagine dealing with a family that just doesn't "get it" - fortunately mine does (and they don't even live near me), and I am still on them constantly when they visit...."did you wash your hands, do you have a fever"....my brother-in-law laughs, and says that I am now borderline Obsessive compulsive...he busted me wiping down a mcdonald's table with clorox wipes twice and spraying it down also.............if they made mini lysol spray cans, I would have a dozen with me at all times. I am a total freak.

I agree with everyone else, if he seems at all different, take him, I am sure your Ped would advise the same...keep us posted.....

deerhart

Postby deerhart » Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:40 am

I had pneumonia when Alex was 9 months old. Neither he nor my husband caught it and I had it pretty bad (they were considering hospitalizing me but decided to let me go home and see how I responded only after spending 6 hours on IV antibiotics)

Heck my kids are healthy 3 and almsot 6 and I wouldn't let them near someone who had pneumnia or some other major illness!

laura

Postby laura » Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:29 am

Cindy- I'm thinking about this and I gotta say- I am so very sorry that your family isn't being supportive about this. Having your concerns made fun of is really painful. I got into more than one tiff with my husband's family because of me not wanting my kid exposed to bugs without a darned good reason, and my girls were darned near close to term babies (35 weeks)

whosures

Postby whosures » Fri Mar 17, 2006 08:48 am

I would have said to your sister, "We don't dip him in bleach because it seems to bother his eyes. We use scrubbing bubbles." But I'm sarcastic that way. [:)]

Here's hoping he doesn't get sick!

mama2twins

Postby mama2twins » Fri Mar 17, 2006 08:37 am

Cindy,
It seems like you already got good info on pneumonia, but I agree that if Aiden shows any signs of being sick, I would not wait to take him to the pedi.
I am so sorry that you own family is inconsiderate about you trying to protect Aiden. I am not so sure that I could be as nice about as you are. I would have killed anyone who brought a sick kid overto my house....sister or not. I would tell them again that no one will NEVER know what it is like to have and care for a preemie unless they have been there. I would also tell them things that are usually pedi recommended like no daycare because of the risk of getting sick and that if it wasn't such a big deal, preemies would get Synagis shots that cost a gazillion dollars.
I hope that he doesn't get sick!!

Return to “Parents of Preemies”