Did your preemie suffer permanent brain damage?

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.
rebecca

Re : Did your preemie suffer permanent brain damage?

Postby rebecca » Mon Mar 13, 2006 03:56 pm

I am so, so sorry and will keep your little girl in our prayers.

mada

Postby mada » Mon Mar 13, 2006 01:13 pm

Jenn. Honey, I have been thinking abou you so much. I am sorry to hear about Jai and am hoping you get some better answers soon.It sounds like Michelle may be some good help here. What is the next step? Love you honey!!! Email me anytime!!!

wcarder

Postby wcarder » Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:56 am

Jenn, I am so sorry - I can't believe this. i wish I had something comforting to say....we are all awaiting details when you have the chance to - or feel up to - share... Please let us know what the next step is for Jai, how you are faring - and if we can do anything at all.....

mama2twins

Postby mama2twins » Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:50 am

Hi Jenn,
I am sorry that you got news that no one wants to hear. I do, however think that static encephalopathy has become somewhat of a "blanket" term used by neurologists to cover any type of brain damage no matter how large or small. I have seen it as diagnosis alot lately in my peds patients getting PT for developmental delay. Sometimes it is accompanied by obvious things like CP and other times I have seen it used as a diagnosis for unexplained developmental delay...which improves with therapy and age and isn't always that big of a problem.
Can I ask what types of symptoms Jaidyn presents with? Did she have any tests like like a CT scan or MRI? Did she have a brain bleed as a preemie?

jenchar

Postby jenchar » Fri Mar 10, 2006 05:17 pm

Jenn,

Oh I'm sorry to hear about the diagnosis for Jai. Big hugs!

My DD Meghan may have cerebral palsy, which is damage too. They won't officially diagnose her until she is 30 months old though.

Let us know the results of how this affects Jai. We're here to support you.

Jen

youtan

Postby youtan » Fri Mar 10, 2006 01:13 pm

Jenn, I'm so sorry to hear this. We have recently begun the process to have Nathanial looked at by a neurologist. What, if might ask, prompted the diagnosis? Sending hugs to you as you process what all this means.

fiona
Forum Moderator

Postby fiona » Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:53 am

Jenn,

I am so sorry to hear this - what a blow. So often with our little miracles we think we're out of the woods and then we turn another corner and something else hits us smack in the face.

I can only imagine how devastated you must be right now. I know that all these disorders come in a wide range of degree and presentation - I hope that you get some reassurances very soon about Jaidyn's prognosis.

Take care.

jenandtheboys

Postby jenandtheboys » Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:39 am

Oh, Jenn, so sorry to hear this about Jaidyn, but it's good to see you. What have you learned so far about this Static Encephalopathy? It's not something I've heard of before.

Again, so sorry for you guys, and on top of all the craziness you said you have going on in life........[:(] Best of luck as you find out more. Did the neurologist say what kind of outcomes are expected with this kind of damage?

Stay in touch,ok? Love ya!

jenn
Forum Moderator

Did your preemie suffer permanent brain damage?

Postby jenn » Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:30 am

New as of yesterday, Jaidyn has been diagnoised with a form a brain damage (Static Encephalopathy).
From what the Neurologist says, he believes this stems from her prematurity. -Just when ya' think you can put it all behind you...-

But anyway, I have lots to still learn about all this.
Just wondering if anyone else has any experiances to share.

For now we're just crushed.
All this and we just bought a our first house and are in remodel/move mode. Yeesh! When it rains eh?

Welp' I'll be in touch.
Much love to all!
Hope your all well.
love Jenn

Return to “Parents of Preemies”