PIC or PICC line

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.
onfaith

Re : PIC or PICC line

Postby onfaith » Sat Mar 11, 2006 09:41 pm

we also had to sign a waiver, however, my Sophie only had one line and in the first hospital, which as scary as it was, I could see the benefits...without it she was blowing through IV's left and right, they were everywhere including her head. The second hospital she never had the PICC line, just kept going through IV's again. She was born at 30 weeks.

cindync

Postby cindync » Sat Mar 11, 2006 06:32 am

It was needed for Aiden as well, but there were risks associated it with it, big ones (infection, death), so a waiver was signed acknowelding these risks. I do not think we had much choice in the matter, since he needed it, but the NICU people were probably covering their butts.

Fortunatle Jen he did not get one his head! Yuck! But when he went to the ER back on halloween, they wanted to run the IV through is head--IV, not PICC line, because they said it is the best place for it. Especially with an older baby because then their arms are freed up, and you were able to see lots of veins. I said no way, it was bad enough that he was being readmitted to the hopital and the IV in the head just sounded hideous.

thw75

Postby thw75 » Fri Mar 10, 2006 09:59 pm

My 27 weeker had one. There were no forms, it was what needed to be done for her health and comfort.

jenchar

Postby jenchar » Fri Mar 10, 2006 05:27 pm

Yes, both of my daughters had PICC lines. Grace was a 34 weeker but pretty small, 3 pounds, 14.5 ounces. Meghan was a 27 weeker at 1 pound, 9.5 ounces.

Gracie's was in her head. It creeped me out so bad, but they couldn't find any other vein that would work. Meghan had 2, which were in her arms.

jenandtheboys

Postby jenandtheboys » Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:07 am

Thanks, Michelle. I knew there was a reason we had you around, LOL! Seriously, we love that medical insider knowledge you've got, thanks so much!

cindync

Postby cindync » Fri Mar 10, 2006 09:53 am

Thanks! We just went along with whatever they told us and accepted things in the NICU. I do not remember the discussion of it, I do know he had the umbilical lines, and they removed those and did the PICC line. But I did not see him until a day and half after i had him, so Andy, my dh, had to sign off on the waivers. I just found those waivers the other day.

mama2twins

Postby mama2twins » Fri Mar 10, 2006 09:49 am

Both of my girls had more than one PICC line inserted. PICC stands for "Peripherally Inserted Central Catheter"...in other words they insert and catheter from a distant area, like the arm or leg and into a smaller peripheral vein. It is then threaded to a central area of the body near the heart and in a lager vein. Jen was right about it lasting longer than a typical IV and thats because it is in a larger vein. Continuous nutrients and medications could be caustic and damage smaller veins, But are better tolerated in a larger, central vein. In the end, it means less IV that fail and less sticks to put in a new IV. The nurses who put them in have to have special training to do so. If a PICC line doesn't work, the next step is a surgical procedure to insert something like a Broviac cath which is the same as a PICC line, but instead of being inserted peripherally, it is inserted centrally into a central vein. Without these types of IVs, sick babies, like my girls when they had NEC, would have never survived.
HTH!

darcynulph

Postby darcynulph » Fri Mar 10, 2006 09:00 am

My dd had two because they went bad and we them told them no on the third time. She was having feeding problems and it intended to be a longer solution to the IV.

jenandtheboys

Postby jenandtheboys » Fri Mar 10, 2006 09:00 am

Both of mine had PICC lines, actually I think Ethan had it more than once! Andrew--29 weeker, Ethan--27 weeker. I remember being told about the risks, which are certainly scary, as well as the potential benefits. It's a hard choice to make, for sure, especially when you are health-compromised, maybe recovering from c-section surgery, after-effects of mag, or just generally traumatized by the delivery and NICU experience.

We did choose to do the PICC lines with both boys, and looking back, I think it was mostly because that type of line would allow for (medical people, correct me here if needed [:I]) more efficient "delivery" of nutrients, etc that the baby needs, and could be more of a semi-permanent line---lasting longer than a typical IV, so therefore, fewer painful sticks for baby.

With Andrew, we were warned that when the time came to have the line placed, the nurse would evaluate where the best vein was, and it could potentially be in his head!!!! [:0] I was horrified at that thought, but agreed since I figured he needed the line and we'd do whatever it took. But, thankfully, it didn't have to go there. And actually, I believe both boys just had them in their arms and never anywhere else. Memories are getting fuzzier over time about some of these details. [;)]

Great question, Cindy. Thanks for bringing it up.

cassie05

Postby cassie05 » Fri Mar 10, 2006 08:56 am

Stephen had the PICC line as a 27+4 weeker after they took out his umbilical line. The nurse who put it in had been a nurse for years, had two preemies, one of which didnt make it, she knew how I was and I was allowed to be there while it was placed. I was behind his issolette and talking to him adn trying to soothe him. It did have to be placed twice though and he did lose a lot of blood, which required a transfusion again, but it was very much needed. It was a long time before he was up to full feeds and he continued to need the IV fluids....I was much happier with that then the thought of them poking him daily trying to get in another IV

Return to “Parents of Preemies”