HOW ARE ALL THE PREEMIES DOING

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.
kara
Forum Moderator

Re : HOW ARE ALL THE PREEMIES DOING

Postby kara » Fri May 19, 2006 01:56 pm

My DD, Avery, was born at 31 weeks (2.5lbs)with IUGR due to severe PE, was a CHAMP in the NICU and spent only 27 days. She had no apnea, which was a first for some of the veteran nicu nurses. She came home at 3.5lbs. Now she is 6 months old and weighs 12 lbs. She had ROP I, which was very mild and is no longer a problem. She has a nasty case of GERD, which we hope is starting to correct itself. She still has PDA (open artery in her heart). That will hopefully close on it's own as well. Recently her growth has slowed and she is having some malabsorption problems, so she is getting tested for intestinal issues, and possibly food allergies. Developmentally she is on track for her adjusted age, except for rolling over...which we are working on! Now, if we could get her to eat more than 3 oz at a time...or eat more frequently we'd be thrilled!

mama2twins

Postby mama2twins » Thu May 18, 2006 06:03 pm

Wow..Kaylee sounds alot like my girls...27 weeks, weighed 1 lb 4 oz 12 1/2 inches lone and 1 lb 15 oz 13 1/2 inches long. Both also had NEC requiring surgery. They are now 21 months old and have been on target developmentally when you adjust their age....I do not think that they will be caught up by age 2, at least when it comes to speech. Do feel alone with the weight gain issue as we are in the same boat over here! My girls HAVE to be the smallest walking people in the world!
Congrats on getting graduating and the news that you should go to a general ed classroom next year. What a great update!

cattmeow

Postby cattmeow » Thu May 18, 2006 01:56 pm

Wow, it's been a while since I've posted here! Anyhow.. [:)]
Kaylee (now6) was born at 27 weeks weighing 1 lb. 12 oz. and 13 1/4 inches, and came home after 6 months and a day. She developed NEC at 21 days old and has Short-bowel Syndrome and mild chronic lung disease. She received ST, OT, and DT until 3 years old through EI. This year she has been in MiMD Kindergarten (still receiving ST) and will be graduating next week!!! Since she has been improving so much this past year, the teachers and I agreed to try her part time in a general education classroom next year. The biggest obstacle with Kaylee right now is getting her to eat while at school and getting her to gain weight.

paige_va

Postby paige_va » Tue Apr 11, 2006 06:02 pm

Meredith is now 9 months, and is now 18 lbs and doing well. She's just now beginning to sit, so she's a bit delayed on gross motor skills. Her cognitive function, however, seems to be right on target. (My mother-in-law has a PhD in early childhood development, and although she's been blessedly circumspect about offering her opinion, it's nice to have her as a sounding board when I start getting nervous that Meredith might not be where she should be. [:)])

christine lyn

Postby christine lyn » Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:11 am

Shane who is a 29 weeker and was 1lb. 9.2oz. is now 16 months old and weighs 22 1/2lb.. Shane spent 10 weeks in the NICU and he just went for a NICU follow up last week and they said that Shane has caught up to where he should be know. They were suprised at some of the things he could do and said they will evaluate him in about 6 months from know and they most likely will release him from any EI. That was another great day for me to hear how well he's doing. Shane is on the tall side but his weight is a bit under. They said he most likely again will be under weight but he's a very solid kid and there is no need to worry.

thw75

Postby thw75 » Fri Mar 24, 2006 08:40 pm

Just have to say, Rachel, I can't imagine going thru what you have! I just told my DH and he agreed. Thank heavens she is OK now, but boy what a horrible hand you guys were dealt -- way more than anyone or any little person should have to deal with. What a tough cookie your DD is!!!

maddiekinsmom

Postby maddiekinsmom » Fri Mar 24, 2006 08:29 pm

Thanks Brown Cow (boy that seems odd to call you that!)!
You're right - we're praying that we're done now with the
medical drama! It was funny - okay, it wasn't "funny-hah-hah",
but "funny-odd" . . . I was just finally getting ready to believe
that there wasn't going to be another "shoe' that would drop.
She was almost four and showing no lasting effects of being
preemie other than her size and then whammo - liver
cancer. Even with that, she got off easy - just surgery and
no chemo/radiation, etc. So, like I said, we're hoping that's it.

Thanks again for your good wishes!
Rachel

browncow

Postby browncow » Fri Mar 24, 2006 02:53 pm

Maddiekinsmom-WOW-your daughter's lived through more in the past five years than most folks do in a lifetime, I'm glad she's cancer free and wish y'all the best.

mrsike

Postby mrsike » Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:06 pm

Taylor (31 weeker) just turned 1! She is tipping the scales right at 20 pounds and cruising along the furniture and getting into EVERYTHING!! I didn't know babies could be this good or this happy all the time. She is such a little treasure.

hoya

Postby hoya » Thu Mar 23, 2006 05:07 pm

Sophia, my 34 1/2 week miracle daughter (but who was only 2lb. 10oz. and 14 1/4 inches at birth due to severe IUGR) is a wonder. She's the happiest baby around-- smiles and laughs most of the day, every day, and is unbelievably social. She's doing pretty well developmentally, but then she's only 13 1/2 months old now, so we've got a long ways to go to see what happens. Right now she crawls, stands up, and cruises around things quite proficiently. She hasn't yet walked without holding onto anything, and I've only a couple of times seen her stand without holding onto something (while she's busy paying attention to something else, and not realizing that she's not holding on). She's still very tiny. At her 12-month checkup, she was just a hair shy of 16 pounds and 26 1/4 or 1/2 (can't remember which) inches tall. So she's grown an entire foot in one year, but is still not on the charts really, other than her head size, which has consistently measured ~50th percentile. She didn't get into a sitting position by herself until ~12 months (even though she was already standing up by herself at 10 1/2 months), but finally passed that milestone.

Return to “Parents of Preemies”