Aiden's 9 month checkup

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.
mama2twins

Re : Aiden's 9 month checkup

Postby mama2twins » Sun Mar 05, 2006 08:55 am

YAY for the weight gain and for being on an actual chart for anything! We have never been on a real chart for chronological age, only for adjusted age. Hopefully he will just continue to gain and not need any extra help from meds. And since you didn't mention it, I am assuming the breathing issue has been OK?

amiejo

Postby amiejo » Sat Mar 04, 2006 05:40 pm

my dd also had a lot of trouble gaining weight. your son's stats sound similar to hers. she only weighed 17 lbs at a year old. but our doctors never were that concerned (even though they did push her to eat some high calorie foods). they felt as long as she was having a steady growth rate then she was okay and didn't worry too much on the "catch up" factor. they always said she would catch up in her own time. so we didn't have any meds. she did stay on fortified preemie formula until she was 18 mo.

hope all continues to go well.

jenchar

Postby jenchar » Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:25 pm

Cindy that is is a great report on Aiden. I hope he is feeling better after being so sick.

It is my personal opinion that kids with respiratory issues have a harder time gaining weight. I have no research to back that up...just a hunch.

My DD Meghan commando crawled for about 5 months, too. I think it is cute!

Jen

jenandtheboys

Postby jenandtheboys » Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:05 am

Hey, Cindy, it sounds like an overall good-news appointment, so that's great. Glad to hear that the doc was pleased with where Aiden is on motor skills, etc and that at least the height and head circ. were on the charts! [:)]

I've not heard of the drug you mentioned to increase appetite, and although you probably wish he didn't need it, maybe having it will really help him do some of that "catch up growing" that we always hear about. Hope so! Let us know, as I'm sure there are lots of moms here who might be interested in that same medication for their kiddos.

Thanks for sharing the update.....I'll be around this time next week with Ethan's 2-year-old checkup info, and here's hoping for 22 lbs, at least! [:)]

cindync

Aiden's 9 month checkup

Postby cindync » Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:53 am

Aiden had his 9 month checkup and Synagis shot today. He was 26 3/4 inches long, and 17 inch head, so both of those are on the percentile --10th for height, not sure about head, for actual age. his weight was 13 lbs 4 oz, which is good since he gained in the last 2 1/2 weeks. But the doc said he still needs to gain a lot more, and wants him to drink 20-24 oz a day, which he is drinking about 12-15 lateley. He is only drinking 2 oz at a time lately. We can force it, he just pushes it away or blows rasperries with formula in his mouth.

He wants to us to keep a calorie log for the next 3 days, and then based on the amt of calories he is taking, if it is not enough, which I doubt it is, he wants to put him on a drug to increase his appetite.

I do not remember what the name of the drug was, but it is an antihistamene, which he said is harmless, but should stimulate his appetite. maybe it was peristim? I can not remember!

He did not think a nutritionist was necessary, as we are already adding duocal to the preemie formula, and he is not ready to move beyond pureed foods. He does eat the Yo Baby once a day, and maybe a jar or two a day, if we are lucky.

But other than that, he is doing great! He said he is skinny, but not emaciated or anything, and clearly he is doing well to be on the charts for lenght and head.. And he was shocked that Aiden is able to commando crawl!

He did say he will probably be on formula and ducoal well after he turns one.

Return to “Parents of Preemies”