PT for Layla - really want input (very long-sorry)

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.
thw75

Re : PT for Layla - really want input (very long-sorry)

Postby thw75 » Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:09 am

Oh, one more thing, rolling side to side -- just make it a game, and bring one arm over one way, roll, then the other arm the other way. :) Layla is only still a tiny young peanut...give her some time :) Feel free to email me if you want to. I had PT for Kailey for a year.

thw75

Re : PT for Layla - really want input (very long-sorry)

Postby thw75 » Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:07 am

Stiffness and muscle issues is REALLY common, don't panic :). The exercises make a lot of difference, I did tons of PT (much like you described) with my 27 weeker. Part of it is from the hospitalization, part of it is just being developmentally delayed. The right to left arm/leg stuff is really helpful, as is pulling them up to sit and rolling them onto their side after changing and then lifting them up straight (helps to clue them in on how to put one arm down to prop themself up). I also did lots of time with Kay on my chest/tummy with my on the floor to encourage her to look up and reach for my face (she hated 'regular' tummy time on the floor), I also used a boppy type pillow to prop her chest up and entertained her that way (again, less frustrating than total flat tummytime), also try a cylindrical pillow or rolled up towel she can flop over (like riding a horse) to encourage her to bring her arms and shoulders to the front (instead of splayed out, which they are prone to do from being on their back so much) which will naturally help her to bring her hands together and grasp stuff. I also saved baby food jar lids and my DD loved to touch these, hold them, bang them -- very easy to grasp, shiny and cheap :) and portable.

Good luck, hang in there, it seems forever until they do things but they will come along :). You are doing a great job!!!! Taryn

mommyof1

PT for Layla - really want input (very long-sorry)

Postby mommyof1 » Fri Jan 20, 2006 09:27 am

Layla had her first appointment at the preemie clinic yesterday.

I'm sorry this is so detailed but I really want to see if any of you had a similiar experience.

While I wasn't expecting everything to be perfect w/ her it was upsetting when I found out she is extremely stiff. I was given excercises to do w/ her 4 times a day. It really wasn't a big surprise b/c I noticed that Layla always seemed stiffer than the other babies her age. The other babies were always more floppy. Whenever anyone would hold her they would always comment on how strong she is.

I guess she favors her right side when she turns her head. Iwas given an exercice to work on that.(noticed this one b4)

She balls her hands in fists very tightly (I didn't think this was a problem since she does it mostly when eating and when she's upset. I also noticed many other babies do this)

They also gave me exercises to help her bring her hands together and to her mouth. (I've see her do this many times by herself but maybe she does not some improvement on this)

Another exercise is to bend her knees and bring them to her chest and while changing her diaper I bring her body up by her legs and to the left and right 10 times.

I know that stiffness is common for preemies. I'm just afraid it may mean bad signs for the future or that maybe the exercises won't help.

If anyone had to work w/ their child please let me know how it went?

Also is stiffness common b/c premature babies lose out on valuable time in a balled up position.

Thanks!

Return to “Parents of Preemies”