Any babies born before 35 weeks

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.
arene

Re : Any babies born before 35 weeks

Postby arene » Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:46 pm

dd #1 was born at 33 weeks. I had steroid shots on
Sunday and Monday and she was born on Tues. at 3 lbs. 4oz (IUGR).
She was delivered by c-section, and I cried and cried when she was born screaming. It was the most wonderful sound I had ever heard. She was in the NICU for 21 days to learn to eat, but never needed any oxygen.

godsgrace

Postby godsgrace » Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:29 pm

Our daughter was born at 31 weeks 1 day without a heartbeat weighing only 2 pounds 12 ounces. It was PE HELLP that got so severe so quickly (4 hours from diagnosis to delivery) she only got one shot about and hour or two before she was delivered. I don't think it had time to do much. She was fighting for 11 weeks before which we believe made her body that much stronger when she got out. They did put a vent thingy in (sorry for my technical terms) for 3 days, but she didn't need it, they just did it to keep her from pooping out from fatigue.

On the bright side not having the shot wont always hinder success rates... she grew quickly and God put a major drive in her to fight (still is a little fighter... im 22 and have grey hair). She was in for 5 weeks on the nose and they kicked her out of the cube at 3 pounds exactly (2.5 weeks old) cuz she wouldn't stay still and kept getting in the cracks and they were ready to send her home at just under 4 pounds cuz there was no way she was sticking to their schedule, but had to wait for 4 pounds 1 ounce a couple days later to release her.

I also can back up what Cindergretta was saying about prem girls having a higher success rate. In the few SCN's we had the misfortune of being in it was a widely known statistic that the girls survived more often, were stronger throughout, and didn't need breathing help as often, grew faster and were released sooner. Minutes after the c-section the doctor came to me and congratulated me on having little girl and told me what an immense blessing it would be in this case... I didn't understand that until later on.

Blessings

hoya

Postby hoya » Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:35 am

I got the steriod shots when I was first admitted to the hospital at 28 weeks. DD was not delivered until 34 weeks 5 days (they started inducing at 34 weeks 3 days, but 2 days and no progression later we ended up with a c-section). She was only 2 pounds 10 ounces, but miraculously needed absolutely no oxygen, and not even CPAP! She did spend almost 5 weeks in the NICU, but that was to get her weight up (so that she could maintain her temp.) and to get to the point where she was strong enough to be able to take all of her feedings from a bottle, instead of through a tube. She was just over 4 pounds when she came home, after having gotten down to a low of 2 pounds 2 ounces. The effects of the steroids are supposed to wear off after 2 weeks, but still it was not a problem for us.

christine lyn

Postby christine lyn » Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:30 am

My son was a 29 weeker and stayed in the NICU for 10 weeks. I did get one shot before he was born.

kadensmama624

Postby kadensmama624 » Sat Jan 14, 2006 08:52 pm

I got steroid shots and Kaden stayed in the hospital for 7 weeks. He was born at 33 weeks. He was on a vent for a day and O2 until he was a year old. I think it just depends on the baby.

tracym

Postby tracym » Mon Jan 09, 2006 06:00 pm

My 37 weeker spent a few days in NICU, so I don't think there is an arbitrary number to use as a cutoff. 34 weeks is the cutoff for steroid shots I believe, as they're not proven to help after that gestation.

Kate was born at 33 weeks, I had steriod shots Sunday and Monday and she was born on Wednesday. Never went to NICU, straight to special care...and only needed facial O2 for a few hours. IV antibiotics and TPN for 2 days. Spent 4 days altogether in isolette maintaining temp, then moved to an open crib and came home after 16 days. Once she got keeping warm down, she was only there to learn how to eat.

Good luck :)

season
Forum Moderator

Postby season » Sun Jan 08, 2006 01:01 am

My ds was a 34 weeker. I was not given the steriods, as they say they don't work after 34 weeks. He ended up vented for a few days, and a total 2 weeks of NICU. After 5 days he was completely off oxygen, but then he needed to hold his temp, feed and grow.

deerhart

Postby deerhart » Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:52 pm

Hrm, my 36 weeker ended up in the NICU on o2 because while his lungs were mature they were not completely out of transition (he still had fluid in his lungs). He spent 3 days on oxygen.. so it really just depends on the baby

meredith

Postby meredith » Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:56 pm

Thanks for all your responces. i will be 34 weeks on tuesday. they said 34 weeks is the cut off for the NICU. I lost alot of my mucous plug and had a Possitive fetal fibronectin, also am 1 cm and 50% effaced. Though I guess I could go weeks like this. I guess every baby is differnent.I was a home care nurse for a girl who was a 30 weeker with severe lung disease, and then another for a boy who was 28 weeks and only had A&B's. I guess you never can predict how babies will do.

jaxsmom

Postby jaxsmom » Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:28 am

Hi

Both my kids were born before 35 weeks also ( Jaxon - 34wks 2 days) and (Savannah - 33 wks) both required NICU time... Jaxon stayed in for 2 weeks, he was a feeder and grower only.. Savannah was in for almost 4 weeks and was on CPAP and had an infection. Both did very well though..

I had steroid shots for both..

Hope all goes well...

Keep us posted.

Return to “Parents of Preemies”