Synagis shots....

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.
jenandtheboys

Re : Synagis shots....

Postby jenandtheboys » Mon Jan 23, 2006 09:36 pm

We're in the 80/20 boat as well. Because Ethan is older and weighs more, he gets a bigger dosage which...........you guessed it.....costs even more!!! So far this season, it's been $2550 a month! [xx(] Now that we're in 2006, we start over on deductibles, etc so we're looking at over $500 a month. Thank goodness my ped will let us pay it over time, and also did that for us last year. Even BIGGER thank goodness that this season is Ethan's last for the shots. [8D]

jenndola
Forum Moderator

Postby jenndola » Mon Jan 23, 2006 09:30 pm

My insurance (which Gabe was on through December) covered 80/20, and we couldn't afford the 20% (it was going to be about $360 a month). Fortunately, our new insurance as of this month is going to cover it 100%. I'm so grateful he'll at least get the shots for the last few months of the season!

cindync

Postby cindync » Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:10 am

our insurance covers 100 percent

cassie05

Postby cassie05 » Mon Jan 23, 2006 08:47 am

That would be so awesome if they made a drug that works even better. Thankfully our insurance covers the whole shot, this is Stephens last year to get it. As for this year being worse, I was so mad when we finally got to go to our meeting about the shot this year, it was started really, really late even though there had been so many cases already of RSV, they even told us how many cases there was, but no one seemed to have an answer when I asked why in the world they waited when teh rest of the state had already had their shots...

hoya

Postby hoya » Mon Jan 23, 2006 08:32 am

We, too, were lucky in that our insurance covered the Synagis shots. But, boy, they sure are expensive!!!

Sorry, I don't know where you could obtain more information... perhaps from a major NICU facility where they see the results??

browncow

Postby browncow » Mon Jan 23, 2006 08:28 am

Insurance covered Connor's synagis shots (spanning December, 2001, to November, 2002; $1,200 monthly), thank goodness because I don't know what I would've done otherwise. The monthly cost included UPS shipment of the meds and visits by a home healthcare nurse to administer the injections.

Medicaid will cover the cost as well for those who are uninsured and meet income requirements.

onfaith

Postby onfaith » Wed Jan 04, 2006 09:30 am

thanks for all of your thoughts. It's interesting I was watching a story just last night that warned doctor's are already saying this is a higher than normal RSV season already. They went over steps to try to prevent it.

I called Medimmune yesterday and did find out that for people whose insurance doesn't cover it, they may qualify for reimbursement through them. Their customer support number is 1-877-633-4411 in case any of you need it, or if you know anyone that might. I have spoken with a contact at MedImmune, and have left a couple of messages with other individuals to get further information. And after talking with them, may contact the News station locally that aired last nights story......

Keep the ideas, stories, and info coming......although the shot is not an immunization....perhaps it should be looked upon in a similar light.

I have included below information on Synagis and RSV from MedImmune also, including info regarding a new drug that is being tested called Numax which may be superior to Synagis.....if anyone is interested......I WILL DEFINITELY KEEP YOU ALL POSTED!!

------------Synagis® (palivizumab) is the first monoclonal antibody successfully developed to combat an infectious disease. It is indicated for the prevention of serious lower respiratory tract disease caused by respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) in pediatric patients at high risk of RSV disease. Safety and efficacy were established in infants with bronchopulmonary dysplasia (BPD), infants with a history of premature birth (#8804;35 weeks gestational age), and children with hemodynamically significant CHD.

RSV is ubiquitous and highly contagious: approximately two-thirds of all infants are infected with RSV during the first year of life and almost 100% by the age of two. Most of these RSV infections cause minor upper respiratory illness and cold-like symptoms. However, it has been estimated by the CDC that viral lower respiratory throat infections cause up to 125,000 hospitalizations annually in children during their first year of life. In certain high-risk pediatric patients, RSV infection may cause serious lower respiratory tract disease. It has been estimated in some U.S. communities that between 50-80% of bronchiolitis hospitalizations from November through April are due to RSV disease. -----------------

-------------------
Numaxâ„¢

As part of MedImmune's strategy to expand its franchise in preventing respiratory syncytial virus, we are developing a third generation, anti-RSV molecule that may one day replace Synagis® in the marketplace. This product may provide significant advantages over Synagis, including improved compliance and efficacy. In June 2000, MedImmune announced that it had developed several variants of Synagis that were superior to Synagis in microneutralization studies. In 2002, MedImmune selected the antibody it would take forward into clinical testing as the Numax molecule. In October 2003, MedImmune submitted an investigational new drug (IND) application to the FDA to evaluate Numax. This program is currently in two Phase 3 clinical studies that began in November 2004

--------------------------------

lucy

Postby lucy » Tue Jan 03, 2006 08:28 pm

I agree with Sue that all parents even of full term babies need to be warned of the dangers of RSV. I wish there wasnt illnesses like this out there as I am sure we all do.

jenandtheboys

Postby jenandtheboys » Tue Jan 03, 2006 05:52 pm

No problem! It is a good thing for people to be aware of both RSV and Synagis, like you said, and that the dangers are there for all young babies (like we found out with my niece). Thanks for helping spread the word.

season
Forum Moderator

Postby season » Tue Jan 03, 2006 05:44 pm

Jen,

I figured, as informed as you are about so many things, that you knew how Synagis worked. I still stated it, becasue many people do have a misunderstanding. Synagis is a miracle for many preemies, as RSV can be so dangerous for them.

I wish the medical community informed parents of full-term babies about RSV too. All young babies are at risk for complications from RSV. Not all need Synagis, but woudl benefit from understanding why hand washing etc, is sooooo important around a small baby.

Return to “Parents of Preemies”