New Year

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.
jillmushet

Re : New Year

Postby jillmushet » Fri Apr 30, 637649 4:14 pm

Hi D'Arcy: I agree with Jen, in just a few sentences you put the NICU experience in sharp focus. I like your car analogy, and your courage to conceive again is inspiring. Looking forward to meeting you next week!

jenandtheboys

Re : New Year

Postby jenandtheboys » Tue Apr 20, 637649 1:29 am

Thanks for sharing that with us, D'Arcy! Happy New Year to you and yours as well, and congrats on the decision to try for another baby. I know that's a hard choice for many of us, but I'm glad you'll be trying and you seem to have a great positive outlook on the situation.

Glad also to hear that Maddie is doing well and getting big. My Ethan will be 2 in March and only weighs 21 lbs! [:I] Stay in touch and keep us posted!

PS--my year to feel the way you did on New Year's was 2004 (going into '05) and you described the Preemie mom/NICU experience quite vividly. Nice for me to go into '06 having had a great '05, know what I mean? [:)] THanks again for reminding us what we have to be thankful for in the new year.

darcynulph

New Year

Postby darcynulph » Mon Apr 19, 637649 10:45 pm

Last night my daughter woke up at 11:45, it was rather funny because I walked into her room and she was smiling as if to say I am here with you to welcome the New Year. So we sat in bed, of course taking pictures of her bright eyed at midnight and reflected on the past year.

2005 was full of fear, terror, joy and relief. Memories of the nicu flashed through my head. I never thought I would want somebody to poop so bad in my life - I remember sobbing uncontrollably in the parking lot of the hospital when she didn't go, the uncertainty of her developing nec, test after test and waiting for the inconclusive results and never finding out why she had a feeding intolerance, calling the nicu at 2 in the morning to check if she had residual and getting her new weight, seeing the pain of families that didn't get to take their babies home and worrying even more if she would make it. The things that I have seen this year have changed me forever.

Today we started the New Year with a visit from the nurse to give Maddie her shot for rsv. We are blessed that her medical problems seem to be a thing of the past. The nurse measured her at 28 inches that is double her length from birth and is weighing in a little over 15 pounds, 15-4 to be exact(You know how important every once is-Thank God measuring her in grams is a thing of the past). Maddie is reaching her milestones as she should be and we have a much brighter outlook on the future than we did just 8 months ago.

My husband and I have decided to have another baby; it has taken 8/mo for me to let myself even think about doing it again. The best way I could describe my fear to my husband is (tell me if you think this sounds irrational) If you were getting ready for work and somebody told you if you get in the car today there is a 40% chance you are going to get in an accident, in this accident you and/or your passenger may be injured or possibly one or both of you may die or both may walk away unharmed. The question is would you do it... With the support I have seen in this forum I feel that I have a support network of people that care, have walked in my shoes and will be there on the roller coaster of pregnancy with me.

I want to thank every one of you for the support I have seen you give each other. You are a straight forward, non-judgmental, caring and compassionate group of people have given me more hope than I could ever ask for.[/brown]

Return to “Parents of Preemies”