Tiny ear canals??

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.
cindync

Re : Tiny ear canals??

Postby cindync » Thu Dec 29, 2005 08:23 pm

Oh, I wanted to add about Riley asking about the feeding tube for the new baby, there are some people in our neighborhood who adopted from Russia, and their neighbors had a baby, and she asked if they had to go to the judge! I thought it was cute.

cindync

Postby cindync » Thu Dec 29, 2005 08:21 pm

If I remember right, I was told my adopted from Russia son Alex has smaller than normal ear canals (which is funny because he has rather big sticky out ears!), but they have not caused hiim any problems. He has had one minor ear infection, and he will be 4 soon. My bio daughter on the other hand had tubes in at almost 6 years of age for constant constant ear infections (adenoid removal as well).

And it seems to me, that Aiden's roof of the mouth is quite an arch, but he was only on the vent for 5 days, so I doubt that has anything to do with it. I am sure at 25 weeks, your daughter was on the vent a lot longer than 5 days. I have not asked any doctor's about the high roof arch, mainly because I do not think of it and I do not think it is an issue. I just notice it when he is screaming that it seems really highly arched.

Gosh, 25 weeks, what a miracle you have.

mikeys mom

Postby mikeys mom » Thu Dec 29, 2005 01:10 pm

Hey! My son Mikey is still being followed for hearing. He hears but has small different shaped ear canals that is either just his ear canals or a side effect of his prematurity. He hears fine he just has to be watched. He also has an outie belly button but the doctor doesn't classify it as an outie because it is not herniated. Last but not least I was also told he has a high pallet but honestly if you look at him you would NEVER know he was a preemie....

wcarder

Postby wcarder » Thu Dec 29, 2005 01:06 pm

Aww...Riley!!!! It IS heartwrenching to know that our little ones think that's normalcy.......
Well, I hope things settle down for you and your big "nerdy" (LOL!) job! Don't feel bad - I do collections now. Kill me!!!!!
I'm glad Riley is feeling better. Take care.

whosures

Postby whosures » Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:09 am

I've been doing a lot of lurking. :) Actually, I've been super busy at work. I have one of those jobs that people never think about someone doing. Actually, what I do is part graphic design/part programming for "systems of repayment". In other words, I design and program (make sure YOUR name appears on YOUR statement) things that go out in the mail. Mostly I do banking statements, water bills, electric bills, coupon books for autos, etc. Since part of my job involves doing mortgage billing, I have to design those wonderful 1098s and 1099s that come in the mail. It makes December very crazy for me. We also do a lot of state work, tax books, etc. If you really want me to nerd out, I can "read" the postal barcodes that appear on envelopes and I also can get funky with all the assorted codes (those little lines on your statement) that show up on your paperwork. Yep, I'm a certified nerd. :)
And yes, Riley is feeling much better. The earache was gone by the next morning so that made for a Merry Christmas.
Oh, and as an aside, one of those heartwrenching moments...we have a friend with a new baby and Riley asked his mommy when he was going to get a tube in his nose like she had when she was a baby. :(

wcarder

Postby wcarder » Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:00 am

Hey, girly! Where ya been? Haven't seen you around.... I'm so sorry Riley has an earache - hope she is feeling better! she certainly was a teeny tiny preemie, and my girl was a big preemie, so I don't have any personal comparisons to make.....but I'm glad the docs don't see this as a potential problem for her hearing or recurrent ear infections.

jenandtheboys

Postby jenandtheboys » Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:22 am

Honestly, we haven't run across any of those things you mentioned with my boys, but that certainly doesn't mean that they AREN'T common preemie traits, etc. My Ethan failed his NICU hearing test numerous times, and we finally had to go have an ABR (auditory brainstem response, I think) which is a much more sensitive test and he passed that one perfectly! [:)] Actually, he just had another hearing test at our ENT and one ear didn't do well, but he was sick at the time, so we're going for another test after the new year..........but no one has ever mentioned tiny ear canals. That's an interesting concept, though. Makes me wonder!

whosures

Tiny ear canals??

Postby whosures » Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:15 am

I had to take Riley to the doctor last week because she had an earache (praise God that it was her first one ever). The doctor who was not our regular pediatrician told us that she had extremely tiny ear canals. We knew a little about this because she kept failing her hearing tests in the NICU because they couldn't find a device small enough to sit in her ear but we assumed she had grown out of it. I was afraid this would cause some hearing issues for her but the doctor said it wouldn't. It might cause problems with wax in her ears (I assume because they would become clogged easier?). Does anyone else have a preemie with tiny ear canals? And while I'm on the subject...Riley's belly button is a teeny tiny mostly outie...I assume this is a preemie thing because obviouly she was teeny tiny when they made it. Anyone else have this issue? Or any other preemie physical traits like a really high roof of the mouth (I assume this is from being vented)? Sometimes it's hard to tell what is genetic and what is part of being a preemie.

Return to “Parents of Preemies”