head tilt ....UPDATED

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.
mama2twins

Re : head tilt ....UPDATED

Postby mama2twins » Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:25 am

Oh my gosh!!! How scary! That sounds like meningitis and that can definitely cause a stiff neck. I am glad that you took him to get checked out and that he is on the road to recovery. Are they thinking that the reaction is in any way linked to the immunizations that he received? Because that is pretty scary too.

lmendiola81

Postby lmendiola81 » Sun Mar 12, 2006 02:49 am

That's the worst thing it has ever happened to me! Tomorrow is his last dose of steroids, then he has a follow up appt. next week, we'll keep you guys updated... I am upset at the doctors who treated him the first week and kept and sending me home with a sick baby telling me that they didn't know what was wrong with him, I can't believe they let it get this bad!!! Thank God it's getting taken care of now... Oh, and by the way, Baby Robert turned 5 months today!!!!!!

jenandtheboys

Postby jenandtheboys » Fri Mar 10, 2006 01:47 pm

Wow........thanks so much for the update, but that is really scary. I'm sure you were petrified, dealing with a lumbar puncture, anesthesia for an MRI, etc. [:(]

Glad, though, to hear that he is getting better and apparently the head tilt is gone! It's fabulous that the brain inflammation was caught at a time in which something could be done for him before (hopefully) any serious consequences.

Again, all I can say is Wow. We are very glad for you and DS to have gotten the help he needed. Hope that the follow up checks are also good and show that the inflammation is really gone. [:)]

lmendiola81

Postby lmendiola81 » Fri Mar 10, 2006 01:34 pm

Thank you Michelle. Here is what happened this week........ Monday morning we took the baby in to see his pediatrician because he had been throwing up all night Sunday and his head was still tilte. The pediatrician checked him and ordered x-rays of his stomach because she said it was obvious that something was going on, the x-rays came back abnormal, and at that time she referred him to the hospital to do some more testing and be admitted for a night. He got admitted, started an I.V. on him and drew blood, later that evening he was also seen by the pediatric neurologist. The next morning they did a test called "Upper G.I.", which showed he has a mild case of reflux. The following morning they put him under anesthesia for 2-3 hrs to do an MRI of his brain and neck. It turned out that he had a viral infection which turned into inflammation of the brain! At this time the neurologist prescribed 5 doses of steroids to reduce the swelling of the brain. Later that afternoon they also did a "Lumbar Puncture", which means they drew some fluid from his spine to test for other viruses. We got discharged from the hospital after 3 nights and 4 days, but need to take him in for the next 3 days to get the last 3 doses of steroids and has a couple more appointments with the pediatrician and possibly another MRI to make sure that the inflammation is gone. Today he is feeling much better, he is smiling and cooing again and his head has not been tilted for 2 days!

mama2twins

Postby mama2twins » Sat Mar 04, 2006 09:31 am

Hi Lmendiola,
I am here if you have any questions!

lmendiola81

Postby lmendiola81 » Fri Mar 03, 2006 07:21 pm

Hi! My baby boy is 4 mths old and started tilting his head to the right 2 days after his 4 mth shots. They did a CT Scan of his brain, took him to a pediatric ophthalmologist and optometrist, and the results came back normal. It started getting better day by day, and right when it was almost straight again, it started tilting to the left. He's not really fussy or uncomfortable, but obviously there is something going on and the pediatricians cant' figure it out. Can you please contact me ASAP?, it seems like he has the same symptoms your twins had. Thank you!

cassie05

Postby cassie05 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:19 am

Glad things are going good for you all!

jenandtheboys

Postby jenandtheboys » Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:02 am

Yay, Michelle.....what great news! Isn't benign a wonderful word? [:)] Reminds me of when we were having Andrew checked with MRIs, etc due to his large head circumference: we saw a neurologist and eventually found out that it was what was called "benign external hydrocephalus" and, like your situation, it was not anything that required any treatment or was anything to worry about developmentally, etc.

So glad you got the good report, I know you must be relieved. Proud of you for "sticking it out" until you got the info you wanted.

lorelei

Postby lorelei » Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:07 am

Glad that you got such a good report Michelle!

deerhart

Postby deerhart » Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:31 am

They can have sensory problems and still have very good balance. Anyone that gets motion sickness has sensory issues relating to balance. It could simple be that for some reason they need to do this as a reaction to some sensory overload or lack of sensory input and that they only need it at certain times.

Whats truely intersting is that they BOTH do it. Do you notice who starts to it first each time? Especially since its being mirrored it may be that only one is doing it and the other is copying her.

Return to “Parents of Preemies”