vasectomy pain

This forum includes topics that don't fit neatly in other areas. Also home to our Weight Loss Buddies support group.
melly

Re : vasectomy pain

Postby melly » Fri May 14, 638315 12:05 pm

Dh had a pre-surgery consultation, but he went by himself. I'm not sure what was covered. He was really nervous before the surgery...understandably so. He also has a huge fear of needles, the last time he had blood drawn he passed out cold. For him to volunteer to have this surgery was huge. He told me some of what he discussed with the dr, but its difficult for him to even talk about medical procedures. Thankfully he is finally on the mend and almost back to his old self.

sonja
Forum Moderator

Postby sonja » Fri May 14, 638315 8:22 am

When my dh had his vasectomy we had to go to a two hour class before hand where the doctor explained the whole procedure, risks, and all - we had to take it with 3 other couples. I think that the doctor just wanted to talk about how cool he was doing this surgery - maybe it was just an HMO thing, I don't know, but we felt very informed about the procedure.

melly

Postby melly » Tue May 04, 638315 6:02 am

Oh wow cantaloupes! I almost wish that I'd known beforehand what to really expect, but I'm not sure we would have gone through with it if we had. He's feeling much better today, but he had me pretty scared.

Dh volunteered to get snipped. He was really scared after our first pe pregnancy and even suggested we adopt rather than risk it again. He agreed to try one more time and after that we both agreed that we would be happy with our two. I can't imagine going through all that pain and still getting pregnant! He will definately be going back in for a follow-up! Y'all are scaring me!!! Lol

Anne, that takes a lot of guts to go through that a second time!

annes
Forum Moderator

Postby annes » Sun May 02, 638315 9:55 pm

Sonja, my brother's friend had to go and have his redone, because it failed, thank goodness he went back for the follow-up!

sonja
Forum Moderator

Postby sonja » Sun May 02, 638315 6:16 pm

Boy, the guys that your dh know are nicer than the ones my dh knows - all my dh heard were horror stories about swelling the size of cantalopes.

I am glad that he is better!

(And by the way - make sure that he goes in to get the check up - my girlfriend is in the hospital now waiting to have a baby that was conceived after her dh had his vasectomy).

melly

Postby melly » Thu Apr 22, 638315 5:12 pm

Thank you all soo much! I was really worried about him. He came home from work today smiling and feeling much better!! He said sometime in the afternoon something just changed and he started feeling good again. I am still making him kick his heels up at home in the evening. I don't want a relapse!

I really thought this wouldn't be so hard to recover from! I have heard so many people say it was no big deal and they were feeling fine a couple of days after surgery. Even dh was surprised. He spoke with a few guys who had it done and they all said it wasn't that bad. I guess I shouldn't have been so shocked, it is a sensitive area. What really had me freaked was going on-line and doing a Google search on vasectomy pain! There are men out there with chronic pain from their vasectomies. I should know better than to let Dr Google scare me!! I honestly can't thank you all enough for your support!! You ladies are the best!!! : )

sonja
Forum Moderator

Postby sonja » Thu Apr 22, 638315 5:12 am

I have always heard that excess pain and swelling happens when there are issues - do you think that your dh did too much too soon? I agree, after a week I think that a call back into the doctor is in order.

Best of luck to both of you!

audrey s.

Postby audrey s. » Thu Apr 22, 638315 2:33 am

Bags of frozen peas help with the swelling (if it's not infection) but I would echo everyone else's sentiments; if there is no change in his status and he is not improving at all, time to go back in. That's NOT a good place for an infection!

kara
Forum Moderator

Postby kara » Wed Apr 21, 638315 9:32 pm

My friends husband took about a week and a half before the pain subsided....but if he's still swollen, I think he should call again and ask to be seen.

melly

Postby melly » Wed Apr 21, 638315 6:23 pm

Thanks Anne. I've suggested that he call the dr again, but he's a little stubborn. I'm hoping he called today but kind of doubt it. The dr he spoke with on sat said if he had a fever that might be a sign of infection and he hasn't had that yet so I guess he feels like it just needs more time to heal. I still worry though. I hate that he's in so much pain.

Return to “Misc”