Preeclampsia in TV show script

This forum includes topics that don't fit neatly in other areas. Also home to our Weight Loss Buddies support group.
sarab
Site Admin

Re : Preeclampsia in TV show script

Postby sarab » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:20 pm

As I recall, 1 in 4 of our members has lost a child to this disease, facing in REAL LIFE that "very dramatic, tension-filled, cut-and-dried-soap-like decision" you mention so casually. This is not just over-the-top nonsense that some creative soap writers dreamed up to make a show more interesting.

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:58 pm

quote:Originally posted by djsnjones

So they have the very dramatic, tension-filled, cut-and-dried-soap-like decision of whether to save the baby's life or the mother's life.

We see that here routinely. Fiona has lost a child to prematurity caused by preeclampsia. So have an awful lot of our other posters. You might try reading our Grief and Loss forums for a while.

fiona
Forum Moderator

Postby fiona » Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:55 pm

quote:Originally posted by djsnjones

So they have the very dramatic, tension-filled, cut-and-dried-soap-like decision of whether to save the baby's life or the mother's life.

And that is a scenario that sadly many of our members here has been faced with. Of course, as you have never seen a case of severe early onset and life-threatening preeclampsia in 30 years of midwifery, you might not be so attuned as to how cynical your put-down sounds.

djsnjones

Postby djsnjones » Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:04 pm

The big scandal on the Y & R message board is that according to the due date when Victoria first became pregnant, Victoria should actually be about 30 wks, but that the writers changed it to make it more dramatic.

And right now the big focus of the writers is that Victoria's parents are fighting over whether they should take the baby right now by C-section, which according to the doctor-character will certainly lead to the baby's death, but would certainly save Victoria's life. So they have the very dramatic, tension-filled, cut-and-dried-soap-like decision of whether to save the baby's life or the mother's life.

laura

Postby laura » Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:46 pm

Oh no! I hope that the show doesn't imply that our early onset girls have a 'decision' that could ultimately end with a healthy pregnancy... Still, that level of detail is much better than earlier soap renditions, that portrayed a character with eclampsia as crazed!

kimpaulus00

Postby kimpaulus00 » Sun Nov 18, 2007 08:18 pm

I talked to my mom about it (she is also an avid Y&R viewer) and she said that they are talking about PE, protein in the urine, increasing blood pressure (I guess they actually used the term hypertension). Victoria (the character) is in a coma due to part of the parking garage, that exploded, hitting her in the head, and has developed PE at 22 weeks. The father is saying to go ahead and take the baby while the mother is saying that Victoria would want to give the baby as much of a chance as possible; I guess the doctor is telling the parents that a decision will need to be made soon.

My mom said that she thought the writers were doing a decent job because they did include many of the aspects of PE that she remembered from my three experiences with PE. However, my mom has a bigger problem with Victoria losing a baby then within a very short time being pregnant again, but the writers had to write the script that way since the actress protraying Victoria is pregnant in real life.

That is all that I have heard about Y&R and PE.

onesock

Postby onesock » Sat Nov 17, 2007 09:23 pm

My mom is an avid Y and R watcher and I just called her and asked her about it. She said that the character had been in the hospital, unconscious, because a parking garage fell on her (? soap opera for ya) and now she has developed pe @ 22 weeks and she said that they just keep talking about blood pressure and how they have to get the baby out. I am going to try and catch it on soap network...I hope they are portraying the disease correctly...:)

brittani

Postby brittani » Sat Nov 17, 2007 06:42 pm

My mom told me about it also. I have it on TIVO as well I think ou can see it every night on the Soap network

shelbys mom

Postby shelbys mom » Sat Nov 17, 2007 09:24 am

I have it on TIVO and hopefully will get to it this week, will let you know if I think it is accurate!!! Hope you are doing well.

shellysmomdad

Preeclampsia in TV show script

Postby shellysmomdad » Fri Nov 16, 2007 04:20 pm

I've received several e-mails (honest, I haven't seen it :))about the show The Young and the Restless. One of the characters is diagnosed with preeclampsia. Anybody else seen it? I hope it is fairly accurate. Guess this is one way to raise awareness. Too bad they don't mention Preeclampsia Foundation.
John

Return to “Misc”