Preeclampsia in TV show script

This forum includes topics that don't fit neatly in other areas. Also home to our Weight Loss Buddies support group.
rachelc

Re : Preeclampsia in TV show script

Postby rachelc » Thu Nov 29, 2007 04:15 pm

First off, I am really sorry for the losses that so many of you have experienced. I can only imagine how devastating it must be. When I first read Joy's post I didn't think anything of it. I have not lost a child and I don't think that she has either. After reading all of your responses I can see how her post came across as rude and insensitive. However, I think that she is being unfairly judged. It was a poorly worded comment and not a judgment of anyone who has preeclampsia or has faced the situation being portrayed in the soap opera. I have found this website to be a place where I can go to learn from the experiences of others. I think that we can all learn a lesson from this situation about choosing our words carefully, empathy for others, and forgiveness.

adbellamy03

Postby adbellamy03 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:15 pm

I haven't been watching Y&R, not in a few years, but I do hope they are giving the disease the full blown credit it deserves! It is not anything I have ever seen on tv and it is great to see a tv show talk about this horrible disease. Even though I had PE in my first 2 pregnancies I had no idea what I was up against in my 3rd and losing my baby has been the worst experience of my life thus far. I also hope that IF Victoria (Y&R) does in deed have to give birth to her baby that they play it out realistically. Perhaps they should go ahead and just show the really bad, nasty parts of PE and the results that can happen to your precious babies so that will increase the awareness.

Anne: I would be so interested to see what the stats are NOW on our members here who have lost their babies. I can't believe it is only 20%, seems like with all the posters it should be higher, but I pretty much remain in the grief section so I don't know. I DO KNOW that I hate there was ever a reason for this foundation, but I am so thankful it is here!!! I couldn't have made it thus far in my loss without this site!

----be TIVOing Y&R to see what is going on!!!!! ;)

annegarrett

Postby annegarrett » Wed Nov 21, 2007 02:37 pm

Last I did the stats, which I admit was probably two years ago, 20% of our members had lost a baby which is significantly higher than the typical preeclampsia outcome. We are essentially a membership of "worst-case" scenarios. It impacts our perspective and of course, we're very protective of our members. Having lost my 2nd in 1986, I speak from personal experience.

laura

Postby laura » Tue Nov 20, 2007 02:52 pm

Wow, this one went from zero to drama, real fast, didn't it!

Joy, what you've stumbled upon is a community of women who represent preeclampsia's worst case scenarios. Many, many women that you see will be able to do the high pressure at term, healthy baby scenario you might be familiar with. Most of us are the worst cases their doctor has ever seen, and many of us are very, very lucky to be alive. Unfortunately, as described, the faux-soap drama you describe is a real situation they appear to be exploiting.

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:34 am

Joy, you may not have realized how your tone sounded to us -- but your disparagement of this soap opera certainly made it sound as if those sort of over-the-top decisions never *really* happened, but were all an artifact of the imaginations of the writers.

They do really happen. All the time. You've stated that you've never seen a case of early, severe preeclampsia, so it seems reasonable for us to assume that you have not -- since, after all, you've said that you have not -- and might truly not have realized that situations like that are reality for a sadly large number of our posters.

I can think of over a dozen posters off the top of my head who've lost babies to prematurity caused by preeclampsia in the past few months. Here's a good place to start: http://www.preeclampsia.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=50

djsnjones

Postby djsnjones » Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:50 am

I was just joining in on the tone of the thread. I was mocking the soap opera genre just like everyone else. No need to all jump on me, and mock me, and try to discredit my life's work. You don't know how many difficult situations I have worked with, or what kind.

I am very, very sorry to have offended and to have hurt any person here.

Good-bye.

Joy

browncow

Postby browncow » Tue Nov 20, 2007 09:37 am

quote:but many of these women were unconcious due to seizures,

That was me: I had NO CLUE that Connor had been born, didn't see her until she was three days old, couldn't touch her until ten days later.

I was unconcious, seizuring, blood pressure of 270/180, my liver burst, the placenta had separated/C was in oxygen distress, so there was no commercial break or time to mull over a decision. The Dr. told C's father that he was operating to save C and myself, no questions asked.

Some acquaintances used to get annoyed when I advised pregnant friends of PE and HELLP symptoms, they'd say, "why worry them? Why get them upset?" Suffice to say the annoyance ended when one's daughter-in-law, knowing the symptoms, sought proper and timely medical care.

My heart aches for anyone who's experienced what we in this forum know all too well.

kimpaulus00

Postby kimpaulus00 » Tue Nov 20, 2007 04:35 am

I agree that this is NOT a "very dramatic, tension-filled, cut-and-dried-soap-like decision of whether to save the baby's life or the mother's life".

The first time that I was diagnosed with PE my oldest daughter was only 22 weeks gestation and I was praying to make it to 25 weeks -- we did not. At 23 weeks, 2 days, everything went haywire (to put it in simple terms) and we had to go ahead with an emergency C-section that night even though we knew that Allison did not have a real great chance. To give you an idea of how quickly this C-section had to occur, my parents live three hours away, I had barely enough time to call them and they did not make it to the hospital until after Allison was born and passed away (one hour after birth).

We knew that a vaginal birth would most certainly not give her any sort of chance whereas a C-section gave her a slim chance. I did NOT have a chance to hold her while she was alive and my husband and I watched our first daughter die. I was so sick with PE that I do not really even remember how bad I was and my husband had to tell me how bad it was and how close I was to becoming eclamptic and potentially DYING myself.

There was no "very dramatic, tension-filled, cut-and-dried-soap-like decision of whether to save the baby's life or the mother's life" -- it was a traumatic event that will never go away and I will never see my oldest daughter alive again. Fortunately you have never witnessed that. Please do NOT dismiss anything when it comes to Pre-eclampsia -- it is a VERY real disease with very real life and death scenarios that affect far more women that you will ever realize.

hhbeachgurl

Postby hhbeachgurl » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:57 pm

Fiona, Caryn, and SaraB.... very well said

kara
Forum Moderator

Postby kara » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:54 pm

Even a 30 week gestation birth is dramatic, and traumatic, and could still end in a loss. My 31 weeker, who was IUGR and stopped growing around the 29 week mark, had to be recesutated at birth. We didn't know if she'd survive the night, or the week, or the month. RDS, ROP, NEC, PDA...you name it, we didn't know how it was going to affect her and if she was strong enough to survive. She has, though we are still dealing with vision appointments, and upcoming heart surgery. And at 2 years old she is barely the size of a 12 month old. Her winter coat is a 12 month size and we had to roll the sleeves and it goes down to her knees. The most traumatic experience of my life is an understatement when your childs life hangs on the line and you are essentially helpless in doing anything about it.

It's even more dramatic to those friends of mine who post on this board that have been in an identical situation to the one on this show (minus the parking garage explosion, or whatever that was)...but many of these women were unconcious due to seizures, strokes or medically induced "fogs" when the decision had to be made. Others had to make the fully conscious decision. Many did not get to hold their babies alive, and the rest held their babies as they passed away. And then there our friends, the mothers who were in the care of medical professionals that were not qualified to care for them as pregnant women, but who touted their "experience" delivering babies, or the moms who trusted their very qualified doctors to care for them, who ultimately lost their lives. Yes, we see the relatives here of women who have lost their lives to Preeclampsia. We have members in life threatening situations often.

I'm so glad that you haven't had the opportunity to witness this in your work. Welcome to our reality. I don't think you intended to put down the women of this forum who've been in the exact scenario noted in the soap opera, but it is quite sad that you (as a nurse) are so wrapped up in your world, that you don't know the real truth...the reality of this disease. Women die and babies die. Sometimes they are premature babies, and sometimes they are 36, 38 & 41 weekers that die due to things like placental abruption. I'm thankful that you've never seen PE in your patients, and I hope for your sake that a woman or baby doesn't die on your watch. I suggest if you go to our grief and loss forum that you grab a box of tissues first.

Return to “Misc”