Car Seat Safety

This forum includes topics that don't fit neatly in other areas. Also home to our Weight Loss Buddies support group.
graysonsaunt

Re : Car Seat Safety

Postby graysonsaunt » Wed Nov 15, 2006 06:35 pm

Thanks so much for posting this, I have passed it on to everyone! My son is 3 1/2 and I was going to move him to a booster as soon as he reached the 40lb mark, but I will not be doing that now. Kyle will most definitely be helping to save another little boy or girl through his sad story.

sonja
Forum Moderator

Postby sonja » Wed Nov 15, 2006 05:37 pm

Thank you so much for bringing this up - this has been a big discussion between me and my friends lately. My dd is 38 lbs and in a 5 pt harness and I was going to give in and get her a booster at X-mas, but now she can just wait. I see how easily my friends little guy gets in and out of his booster and it just does not seem safe yet.

Joy

mommajo

Postby mommajo » Wed Nov 15, 2006 05:28 pm

I'm in tears, I think I need to switch back to the 5 point.

kara
Forum Moderator

Postby kara » Wed Nov 15, 2006 05:19 pm

Yes, that is one thing I didn't mention....the buckle across the chest needs to be basically at nipple level...no lower. It pains me to see people putting their kids in seats that aren't going to do the job becuase they are not strapped in properly or tight enough.

yvonne_cody

Postby yvonne_cody » Wed Nov 15, 2006 08:53 am

AveryAnnsmom that is my BIGGEST issue with my MIL who sometimes watches my 1 year old. she always wants to make the straps looser. umm... no! we have a great relationship so i alway tell her its fine like it is and she leaves it BUT it happens every time. that and she doesnt put the buckle up at her armpits. i alway have to move it up. youd think shed get the point.

Mary... i had NO idea that the LATCH system cant be used with a child over 48 pounds. i will have to remember to get a tether system too... the things we dont know are so scary. how come THESE type of things are not covered when you take your child care classes?? Thank You!!

khailibowen

Postby khailibowen » Wed Nov 15, 2006 04:18 am

We just bought the Britax Regent for our son who just turned 3 last week. He is already 38lbs and most 5pt harnesses only go up to 40lbs. Britax is the ONLY carseat that has a 5pt harness that goes over 40lbs. The Marathon goes to 65 and the Regent goes to 80lbs. The regent is a HUGE seat, but I don't want something he will outgrow in another year and a half. He is also very tall and the Regent is the tallest carseat as well. Most people can get by with the Marathon until a child is ready for a booster. The Britex Booster (Parkway I think) is the best booster around. Britax is the ONLY carseat manufacturer that EXCEEDS government requirments for carseats. Most Britax users I know transfer from Marathon to Parkway at about age 6 when the child outgrows the marathon (and I know a lot of britax users lol)

Plus, keep in mind that the LATCH system is only good up to 48lbs. Once the child is over that you can not use LATCH. The top tether system can be used beyond 48lbs though. We had to contact our vehicle manufacturers to have the tether ordered and installed as both dh's and my cars did not have it standard.

rosemary
Forum Moderator

Postby rosemary » Wed Nov 15, 2006 00:35 am

Just to add my 2 cents...something that is a HUGE pet peeve of mine is children who ride in the front seat of a vehicle. Most states have specific laws that govern at what age or size/height a child has to be to ride in the front seat of a car that has a passenger side air bag. Front seat air bags can easily seriously injur, even kill a child.

While going to lunch today, my friend was talking about her two youngest kids and the fact that she 'grounded' them from riding in the front seat of their van - apparently using it as a punishment. Both kids are way to young/small to safely and legally be in the front seat. I of course went into a rant about safety...hopefully the kids will be 'grounded' from riding in the front seat until they are old enough to be there safely and legally.

And Allison...thank you for posting the original post...I will be forwarding it to my sisters who have young kiddos.

kara
Forum Moderator

Postby kara » Tue Nov 14, 2006 06:39 pm

One other thing to remember with ALL car seats is that most people do not pull the straps tight enough. The head nurse at our NICU attends a 4 day conference every year on car seat safety. The recommendations are that the straps be tight. You should be able to to only slip a finger under the strap. You should NOT be able to "pinch" the strap and be able to hold fabric from the strap in the pinch...does that make sense? If you can pinch the strap and hold fabric then the straps are too loose. There shouldn't be any slack. Most of my mom friends have had a lesson from me. They don't want to "put too much pressure on their lungs/shoulders/ribs" or "scratch their necks" etc.... A baby or child with lots of cartilege can slip thru even a 5 point harness if it is too loose. :-)

sarab
Site Admin

Postby sarab » Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:43 am

Wow, I am wiping the tears away.

Thanks for sharing this, Allison. I was just talking with a friend last week who is at a crossroads because her 5 year old (who is small for her age) has outgrown her carseat. I'm sending her this link right now.

arj

Postby arj » Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:27 am

Sure, Laura. The video is a tribute to Kyle David Miller, who was killed at age 3 when an elderly driver broadsided the family's mini-van. Kyle was ejected from the vehicle and killed instantly. The following is a summary from Kyle's mother, posted on his memorial website:

We have since found through an expert that examined the seatbelt, van and carseat that Kyle's seatbelt was ON and latched when we were hit but came off sometime during the rollover. Both Kyle and his booster seat were thrown from the vehicle. Seatbelts do NOT always work, especially in roll overs, so please keep your children in a 5-point harness secured and tethered to the car for as LONG as possible. We found a seat made by Britax called the Regent that is a 5-point harness that uses the Lower Anchors and Tethers system and will hold a child up to 80 pounds. It is WORTH the investment, it is your child's life you are risking every time you put them in the car. Another crucial thing to have is side curtain airbags in the front and back seats in your vehicle - it is only an OPTION in most vehicles that you have to request. Driving is by far the most dangerous situation you will ever put your child in and no matter how safe YOU are, you never know when someone will run a red light and leave you no time to react. In that moment the investments you made and thought you put into your child's safety are the only thing that will save him/her. Booster seats are NOT safe, seatbelts FAIL. A 5-point harness tethered and anchored to the car and side curtain airbags would have saved our son's life, and if we would have known about them we would have had them. All the 5-point harness carseats sold in regular stores only go up to 40 pounds (Kyle was over 40 pounds so we thought he had to move into a booster), we did not know you could order a 5-point harness seat for larger children. If you have a child over 40 pounds, PLEASE go online and search for Britax Regent and order it - it is will hold a child up to 80 pounds. I want to make sure everyone knows about these things and this never happens to another child.

[:(] Yeah, I don't blame you for not wanting to watch it. It's heart wrenching.

Return to “Misc”