Aldomet

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
missgamecock

Re : Aldomet

Postby missgamecock » Sat Jun 16, 637342 12:12 am

I am on Aldomet. I started off at 250mg 3x's a day 17 weeks because my BP was skyrocketing. My BP was 148/108 at the time. The next time it was increased at 23 weeks to 500mg 2x's a day, an increase of 250mg a day. That didn't work at all, so the dr changed it at 24 weeks to 500mg 3x's a day, an additional 500mg per day. It has helped, however, my readings on the bottom number are between 88-94. My cutoff to call the dr is 95. When I first started taking Aldomet, it lowered my bp for a time. But then a couple of weeks later it went back up. Each time it is increased for me, it works for a couple of weeks, and then I have to go up. My dr said he could keep increasing the medicine. However, when the protein starts showing up, that's it,I'm done and there isn't anything he can do but deliver. That being said, I am holding on now at 25 1/2 weeks. However, I have had daily headaches for the 2 months. They get better with rest and tylenol but they are there everyday. Recently, I have been getting some minor stomach pain on the right side. Something to keep an eye on. I am having all of my blood tests being run in a week, so if my liver is getting inflamed, it will show it. Anyway, hope that helps.

norlisa k

Postby norlisa k » Tue Jun 05, 637342 5:10 pm

Aldomet works by relaxing the muscles in the arterial walls, and this lowers the blood pressure. (But I'm not sure if it acts directly on the muscles, or if it inhibits the production of adrenaline or the effects of adrenaline.)

I'm not a doctor, and was never on aldomet, I'm just fascinated by all of the blood pressure meds out there. I'm so grateful that my doc put me on the med that totally worked for me; I hope that the aldomet works for you, Brittani, to give you a long, boring, healthy, preeclampsia-free pregnancy!

Love,
Norlisa

Norlisa Keffer(36), essential hypertension diagnosed before pregnancy, successfully treated with atenolol, NO preeclampsia antepartum. (post-partum preeclampsia)
DH, Gordon (38)
Joseph/Josephine Our Angel in Heaven (9/16/02)
Twins Mary Frances and Samuel (a.k.a. Frankie and Sammy) 38 2/7 weeks, 5/26/03

meg

Postby meg » Sun Jun 03, 637342 8:39 pm

I was put on ALdomet at 30 weeks in my first pregnancy. Honestly, my pressures never really lowered. They didnt go up anymore but never lowered. This went on for 5 weeks until I started spilling protien at which time I was induced. I hope the drug works great for you!

Meg-Moderator for After Your Baby is Born
Will 2-6-00 (PE at 35 weeks 4 days)5lb 1 ounce
Elizabeth 7-3-01 (NO PE or PIH)8 lb 12 ounces
Katherine Grace 10-8-04, 6 lb 10 oz (oligo at 37.5 weeks but PIH/PE free)

janet26

Postby janet26 » Fri May 25, 637342 1:09 am

I am 12 weeks pregnant and am taking 250 mg of Aldomet daily. I was just wondering if anyone else had any luck with this drug. I am also wondering if its a vasodialtor or what. With my last pregnancy I wasn't on any meds. so I'm hoping this will be the one that keeps things under control.
~~~~

Hello!
I've been taking Aldomet(250mg) 3x's a day bout 1week after I confirmed I was prego & so far so good...I am now 27.2wks and it's still doing it's job...I PRAY that it continues to work and G/L to you!!!

Janet~26
Mama of Camren
3/9/00 4.2lbs. due to Pre-e
Expecting #2 a baby GIRL!
7/05

sonja
Forum Moderator

Postby sonja » Sun May 13, 637342 1:45 am

Heparin is a blood thinner and would only be given if you had a blood clotting disorder. Good luck to you.

Joy

brittani

Aldomet

Postby brittani » Sun May 13, 637342 12:00 am

I am 12 weeks pregnant and am taking 250 mg of Aldomet daily. I was just wondering if anyone else had any luck with this drug. I am also wondering if its a vasodialtor or what. With my last pregnancy I wasn't on any meds. so I'm hoping this will be the one that keeps things under control.

Also had anyome taken Heprin shots for only having the condition of chronic hypertension? I just wondered if it woould help.

Thanks!

Brittani (29)
husband Jeff (28)
Andrew (6) born @33 weeks due to severe pe 11/03/97
Connor stillborn @23weeks due to severe pe and end diastolic flow
3/11/04
Pregnant Again!!! due 11/6/05 (I'll take anything in the month of October!)

Return to “Pregnant Again?”