High BP at 18 weeks

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
Registered User
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:02 am

High BP at 18 weeks

Postby jmtucker0819 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 07:53 pm

On 02/26/2015, I was 34 weeks and I had a placental abruption from sudden severe Pre-eclampsia. I lost my son and almost died. I needed 12 units of blood and blood products. One week later I was officially diagnosed with PE. Prior to the abruption, I had all the classic signs of PE: severe headache, pitting edema, right upper abdominal pain, visual disturbances, and occasional high BP. I would go to L&D with high BP, my labs would be okay, I would lay on my left side for an hour and then my BP would return to normal and I would be sent home. I even went the day before the abruption. My OB acted like I was crazy since my BP was only spiking. It didn't stay high until a week PP.
My OB assured me that this would not happen again in another pregnancy so my husband and I decided to try again. At 11 weeks we saw the Perinatalogist. He felt that I would most likely develop PE again, since the son I lost was my 7th pregnancy. I have 3 children from my first marriage, and my 2nd husband and I had 3 miscarriages before losing our son. I have an autoimmune condition that increases my risk as well (most likely Lupus but they are not 100%, so they are treating it as that but calling it UCTD for now).
Now at 18 weeks, my bp is up to 129/96. My normal is 105/60. I have been having headaches and occasional low levels of protein in my urine. This happened about a month ago as well and I ended up going on Prednisone for Pleurisy for 3 weeks and all this stopped. A week after stopping them, it has started up again. I have an appointment with my OB tomorrow and my Perinatologist next week. I know it is too early for PE. Also, my BP is not always high so I am not sure that medication for it is an option. I am almost wondering if going on Prednisone for the remainder of the pregnancy would be my best option. The less active I am, the better my BP. I do not want to go on bedrest this early but if I need to, I will. Has anyone else been through any thing like this?

Return to “Pregnant Again?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests