29 Weeks, Seeing Spots, Some BP Spikes. Ugh...

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
preEtmz2

Re: 29 Weeks, Seeing Spots, Some BP Spikes. Ugh...

Postby preEtmz2 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 03:10 am

I keep checking back to see how things are going for you, so glad to hear you've made it this far! ;) can I ask what you've done differently? Are you taking calcium, aspirin, etc?

cgellura

Postby cgellura » Fri Nov 14, 2014 00:47 am

Hi everyone, Thank you for your responses and kind words. I am 32 weeks pregnant now and still PE-free. I can't believe it! I definitely have some signs that things may be brewing, but I'm not officially there. It's so strange to me that there's a chance I won't even get PE this time around, and could go...gulp...FULL TERM?! I can't even imagine what that would be like, or what it would be like to have a baby larger than 5 pounds.

My BP still spikes at times up to the 130/80's range (90/60 is my normal 'high' even when pregnant) but I'm checking it at home frequently. Unfortunately, 140/90 are the required numbers so for someone like me with abnormally LOW blood pressure, it's a HUGE jump by the time I reach 140/90.

I also purchased some urine reagent strips which check for protein and a host of other things. My protein is at 2 now on the dipstick tests: here and at the Ob/Gyn. The 24 hour urine test I had a few weeks back came back at 150+ but I'm sure it would be higher now. I expect I'll be having another 24 hour urine test in the near future.

I have been experiencing some dull headaches off and on. Sometimes Tylenol helps, sometimes it does not. My appetite is definitely decreased and I've had random nausea. Thankfully I still have some Zofran leftover from the first few weeks of the pregnancy! I also have been getting visual changes (spots, floaters, sparkles, ink blots). I had a significant loss of vision in my last PE pregnancy (bilateral serous retinal detachments caused by the swelling of severe PE) so I am obsessive about any little visual changes that occur. For the past two days I've also had some shoulder discomfort and right upper quadrant pain--I know, I know--not a great sign. I have a doctor's appointment every week now, and I will be going in tomorrow to discuss everything that's developed since my last appointment.

As far as stress goes, I really am not the best person to ask. I am a very anxious person (since childhood) and a natural worrier. Sometimes taking a nice long, hot (not too hot) shower with lavender oil helps me calm down a little. I also like to shop when I'm stressed.
Mom of 3 (including a 32 week preemie currently in NICU)
2009 - Severe PE (delivery at 36 weeks)
2011 - Very severe PE with bilateral retinal detachments (delivery at 32 weeks)
2014 - Mild PE with placental abruption (emergency c-section at 32 weeks)

shanajohnson

Postby shanajohnson » Mon Oct 27, 2014 04:01 pm

Thanks Lauren! Those strategies I'm sure will help. I am going to try to refocus, and am going to post under a new thread on PTSD

Cgellura, I just wanted to echo the last posters comment that I hope you are okay and I am in awe of your courage to face this three times!

preEtmz2

Postby preEtmz2 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 04:17 am

Hi just had to stop in to say I'm thinking of you and hoping everything is ok for you and baby. I found your post from a year ago where you were wondering if you were crazy for wanting another baby after 2 pre-e pregnancies. Our situations seemed so similar, I joined tonight, and found this post. Was wondering if you had in fact gotten pregnant and if so, how it was going. Congrats on your pregnancy and I pray this post will find you well. I'm struggling with making this decision, a third or not, and just wanted to send hugs to you and anyone else that has this struggle.

MomTimesThree
Forum Moderator

Postby MomTimesThree » Sun Oct 26, 2014 05:17 am

Cgellura, how did the 24 hr go? Keep posted as you're able. Rooting for 31 weeks and beyond!
2008-Our Baby Girl, PTL born too early at 30w6d, Fought so hard... Forever Loved & Missed
2010- Lil' Bro, Pre-E at 29 weeks... Induced at 36w6d, Born 37w
2012- Lil' Sis, Super-imposed pre-e at 25 weeks, PTL & GD at 35 weeks, Evicted 36w

MomTimesThree
Forum Moderator

Postby MomTimesThree » Sun Oct 26, 2014 05:15 am

ShanaJohnson,

What an ordeal you have already been though. I empathise with the fear you feel during this pregnancy. I started our 2nd very very very scared and anxious with tons of thoughts of "what if". I worked really hard at stopping those thoughts in their track- I mean literally out loud saying, "stop". There is so little we can control around our pregnancies having already had the experience of doing everything right and still facing complications. So I channeled my need for control and order to my thoughts of "what if". I couldn't change what the course of the pregnancy was going to be, but I could change how I navigated each day. With my psychologist I practiced breathing techniques, controlling those "what if"/"what was" thoughts and instead thinking something that would actually help me, and even hypnosis.

I also found it helpful to remember that this was a different pregnancy, and reading the posts from other mamas on the board, you learn every pregnancy is different. What happened in one doesn't condemn you to the same fate. And in fact, you and your medical team are so much more aware of what to be on the look out for that if there are any bumps they are caught so much faster that you will be ahead of the ball instead of behind it.

Keep posted as you're able! Sending peaceful wishes your way,
Lauren
2008-Our Baby Girl, PTL born too early at 30w6d, Fought so hard... Forever Loved & Missed
2010- Lil' Bro, Pre-E at 29 weeks... Induced at 36w6d, Born 37w
2012- Lil' Sis, Super-imposed pre-e at 25 weeks, PTL & GD at 35 weeks, Evicted 36w

shanajohnson

Postby shanajohnson » Sun Oct 26, 2014 02:01 am

Original poster, I am wondering what strategies you use to stay calm, given that you've experienced this not once, but twice before. I am 14 weeks pregnant after having given birth to my son at 36 weeks due to severe pre-e nearly 9 years ago. With him, I was symptomatic at 28/29 weeks, on meds at 32, and became severe at 35, but didn't manage to get myself to the hospital until 36 weeks. By the time I got there they said I had little time until I otherwise would have had a seizure, and at times during the two days it took to have him I was told that I was going to have a stroke (didn't happen) and might go blind (that also didn't happen.) My husband was deployed in Iraq during my entire pregnancy and wasn't present at the birth. When I was admitted to the hospital, the nurse admitting me said "you should be scared" and I have never stopped being scared since then. The first day I was in the hospital they focused on stabilizing me - my kidneys and liver were both completely failing. My son was small for his gestational age, 4 lbs 3 oz, and my placenta was abnormally small and 10% dead. Today he is a normal 8 year old. I realize I am very lucky for the outcome I had, even though it was very hard physically. It was days after he was born before I could walk again, and I was cognitively impaired from about 34 weeks until at least a week after delivery. I was spilling protein until my son was 5.

Now I am pregnant again and the fear is overwhelming. When I have to go to the hospital I have a complete breakdown and just cry and shake. I am going to start therapy for PTSD in 2 weeks, but I am wondering if you or others on the board have tips for managing the fear. At this point, I am not sure I can even walk through the doors of labor and delivery. At work I feel fine, but at home alone with my thoughts I tend to think about what happened, what could happen, and preparing for the worst.

midwestmom

Postby midwestmom » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:56 am

Hi! I just wanted to say that I know this is stressful, but try to relax, you're doing all that you can, and you're SO close to making it to the 30's! That's fantastic! Here's hoping that the 24 hr collection goes well and you make it all the way! Lauren
Lauren
Son born by emergency C-section due to severe preeclampsia in August 2009. Born 29wks2days weighing 3lbs, he is a healthy toddler now.

cgellura

Postby cgellura » Mon Oct 20, 2014 09:28 pm

Went to see the doctor today. Thankfully there is no protein in my urine at the moment, but she is still having me do a 24 hour urine collection (fun stuff) and labs on Wednesday. Then I will go back on Friday for a recheck. She said she isn't "too" concerned yet, but that it's definitely a good idea for me to keep checking my BPs at home and call with any worsening symptoms.

So as of now, there is still hope I can reach week 30, or even 31.

cgellura

29 Weeks, Seeing Spots, Some BP Spikes. Ugh...

Postby cgellura » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:18 pm

I will be 29 weeks pregnant tomorrow. This is my third pregnancy and I'm sensing that I'm starting to develop preeclampsia, again, for the third time. Oh wonderful... My daughter was born at 36 weeks due to PE, and my son was born on day 1 of week 32 due to PE (and I also lost my vision due to retinal detachments from PE, but that's a completely different story!) I've been taking low dose aspirin since practically day 1 at the advice of MFM.

Things started a few weeks ago with seeing spots/sparkles, but until yesterday, haven't been associated with any increase in blood pressure or other signs/symptoms. I am monitoring my BP at home and it's been totally fine, in fact very low. I have very low BP normally. 90/60 is my average "high" BP. There has not been any protein in my urine at my Ob/Gyn appointments as of about a week and a half ago. My next scheduled appointment is Thursday (right now is Sunday evening).

Here's what's been going on this week:
A few days ago I became nauseated out of the blue and had to take some of my leftover Zofran. It happened yesterday too. Also, yesterday I had this dull, nagging headache. It was an all too familiar feeling. Tylenol helped a little, but it never really took the edge off. Today I started with the swelling. My blood pressure has also been sneaking up this week. Yesterday I had a pressure of 110ish/70ish which is, of course, normal for most people. But for me this is already starting to be concerning. Today, all of my pressures have been at least 100 on the top number (rare for me) and my bottom number went as high as 83 (high for me, but not too far off). The highest pressure so far today was 135/73 -- extremely high for me. Thankfully it only happened once, but I'm checking at least hourly. I am resting with my feet up, laying on my left side for a bit, taking it easy, increasing water, etc. I haven't called my doctor yet but if I get a repeat of the 135/73 range BP I absolutely will. The baby is moving around normally and I otherwise feel 'ok'.

My goal is to hopefully reach at least week 31, which is when I was hospitalized for PE with my son in 2011, but now I'm a little concerned I may not make it there. Having a 32 week preemie was very scary (and he did very well) so I can't imagine having a 29 weeker or 30 weeker. I will just take it day by day... Sorry for the blabbing!

Return to “Pregnant Again?”