20 weeks and getting nervous

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
Betheney

Re: 20 weeks and getting nervous

Postby Betheney » Wed Oct 29, 2014 07:52 am

That's a shame. All the midwives at the hospital were always very particular about taking my BP. If it was high they'd get me to lie down, take it twice and whisper "stop talking" lol if I was talking while they measured it. Sometimes when they'd take it they would frown and re-pump up the cuff. I'd always say "oh it must be high if you're checking twice" and they'd say "no no just want to double check" thinking if they concerned me it might go up more the second time. Then of course they'd try the other arm which rarely worked anyway.

midwestmom

Postby midwestmom » Fri Sep 26, 2014 03:09 pm

I like that approach of double checking with the doctor about technique, I'll do that next time, thanks for the advice! :-)
Lauren
Son born by emergency C-section due to severe preeclampsia in August 2009. Born 29wks2days weighing 3lbs, he is a healthy toddler now.

alviarin
Forum Moderator

Postby alviarin » Fri Sep 26, 2014 01:37 am

Glad to hear you had a good ultrasound!

It used to drive me crazy how different nurses would get different readings-even in the hospital- based on how they were taking BP. One time my OB wanted to be kept informed of my readings, so I asked her if they were supposed to be taking my BP sitting up, not just lying down. Then she left written instructions to clear up any confusion.

If I were you, at my next appointment, I'd be tempted to double-check with doctor on the correct way to measure BP, since you are supposed to "monitor at home". And then describe how the nurse took your BP. A couple of times I have complained about office staff before, politely, being specific, and was thanked for letting the doctor (and in one case the office manager) know. It was for a totally different reason though. They don't always know what is going on if you don't tell them, so it might be a good chance for them to clarify their office policy or retrain.
Hypothyroid mom to
Connor (severe pre-e at 38 weeks)
Claire (dx'd with pre-e and induction at 37 weeks)
Annabelle (chronic HTN & GD, superimposed pre-e @34 weeks, induction @37 weeks)

midwestmom

Postby midwestmom » Wed Sep 24, 2014 08:13 pm

I just came back from the level 2 ultrasound and it was very reassuring. I'm 22 weeks and all of baby's measurements are right on target. I spoke with the MFM about my recent uptick in bp's, and he said to keep monitoring at home, 2x/day and keep a log. If my pressures become hypertensive, I'll get treated. I asked him again if he does uterine dopplers, but he said for me, no bc I'm already on aspirin, and there's a high rate of false positives, so why go through the anxiety of it all with a somewhat unreliable test that would not change my treatment plan anyway and cause anxiety.

I'll just stick with what I'm doing, and hope my bp can stay where it is!

One pet-peeve I have to vent about is the way my blood pressure is taken in the office. No being seated 5 minutes, no feet on the floor, no arm at heart level. Why do I care? Because I need accurate measurements bc I am at high risk for developing this hypertensive condition! and when I mention this to the nurse she should not lecture me about how I shouldn't "rush to the appointment". I told her I didn't, but I haven't had 5 min of being seated and arm at heart level. She responded "this is how we do it here". So annoying. It's always the same nurse who is sloppy at taking bp measurements, finding the baby's heart beat , and drawing my blood. Everyone else there is fantastic at those things except for her. Sorry, rant over.

To end on a good note, I am so thrilled and grateful today went well! Thanks for reading. :-)
Lauren
Son born by emergency C-section due to severe preeclampsia in August 2009. Born 29wks2days weighing 3lbs, he is a healthy toddler now.

alviarin
Forum Moderator

Postby alviarin » Sat Sep 20, 2014 05:00 pm

Have a good weekend, and let us know how your appointment Wednesday goes!

midwestmom

Postby midwestmom » Sat Sep 20, 2014 00:42 am

Thanks for the reply! This Wednesday I have my level 2 ultrasound, I'm looking forward to that being ok! The mfm told me during counseling that he chooses not to perform uterine blood vessel dopplers bc there is a high occurrence of false positives with that test and even if there is extensive notching, nothing would really change in terms of my care.
I'll keep posting on my progress, have a great weekend! Lauren
Lauren

alviarin
Forum Moderator

Postby alviarin » Fri Sep 19, 2014 02:25 pm

It is no fun playing the waiting game.

Maybe it is just the second trimester "dip" in pressures wearing off? *fingers crossed* Especially since it sounds like your pressures are still below your pre-pregnant baseline. What I kept telling myself during my second pregnancy is that I was being monitored much more closely, and the odds were still in my favor. Plus taking my blood pressure twice a day and logging it in a spreadsheet and plotting it on a graph… ;)

Either way though, second pregnancies are nerve racking. And I totally sympathize. I am a "stress eater" myself. I've often wondered why I couldn't be a stress runner instead! Something that has helped me is not beating myself up when I slip up, and just resolve to do better when I can moving forward. Good luck and hang in there!
Hypothyroid mom to
Connor (severe pre-e at 38 weeks)
Claire (dx'd with pre-e and induction at 37 weeks)
Annabelle (chronic HTN & GD, superimposed pre-e @34 weeks, induction @37 weeks)

midwestmom

20 weeks and getting nervous

Postby midwestmom » Sun Sep 14, 2014 01:45 am

Hi there,
I'm 20 weeks this week, and so far, up til a few days ago, my blood pressure had been REALLY good, especially for me. Before I got pregnant, I was pre-hypertensive (120-139/80-89), then when I got pregnant, it seems like immediately, my blood pressure was fantastic - 100-110/60's-low 70's. So I've had those great bp readings until the past week, week 20, my blood pressure is now more 110-120/70-80. I've gained 6 pounds since the beginning of the pregnancy, I already have a high BMI (36), the MFM says aim for 20-25lbs weight gain. So, all that being said, I've been reeeeeaaaallly anxious about getting closer to the "dangerous period" of the pregnancy. In the last week I've been binge eating and not exercising, I'm totally sabotaging myself and freaking out at the same time! I go in for my level 2 ultrasound a week from this Wednesday which is also making me VERY nervous. So, I'm basically a nervous wreck sabotaging my chances of a healthy second/third trimester - this sucks. I've been telling my husband I just want the pregnancy to be over with, the suspense of will I develop preeclampsia, will the baby be ok is making me a nervous wreck. I have to remind myself that my husband and I chose this path, getting pregnant again, and I have to change my attitude about it.
Anyway, thanks for reading my rant, I know I need to eat better and exercise as per my first trimester efforts, there's what one should do and then there's how one handles stress. Ugh. Thanks for reading, Lauren
Lauren

Return to “Pregnant Again?”