counselling?

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
sam10
Forum Moderator

Re: counselling?

Postby sam10 » Mon May 04, 640207 6:42 am

During my therapy sessions I learned how to deal with this anxiety and panic attacks. the strategies I learned have been such a useful tools and helped me through my most difficult mements during and after my pregnancy.
Have you decided to give it a go?
MC 3/2009 and 3/2011
H (1/1/2010-1/7/2010) - forever loved and missed; severe PE with Hellp; partial placental abruption, classical c-section at 25.6 weeks
M (Nov. 2012, born at 35.4 weeks) - severe PE

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Sun Nov 23, 640206 11:49 am

There is a lot of PTSD in our population - I would think counseling would be very helpful for a lot of women in subsequent pregnancies and postpartum.
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy

MomTimesThree
Forum Moderator

Postby MomTimesThree » Thu Nov 13, 640206 8:21 pm

I'm so very sorry for the loss of your son. Pregnancy after loss is it's own rollercoaster ride of emotions. I found counseling during my pregnancy extremely helpful. Like you I had a lot of anxiety- and a lot of it came from all the uncertainty and of course what had happened to us in our first pregnancy. So what was most helpful about counseling was learning strategies that I could use to control my anxiety and feelings. I couldn't control what was going to happen during our pregnancy, if I was going to get pre-e again or not, so feeling like I had control over my anxiety- that was huge. For me, it was well worth the time, and I still use the strategies to this day. It also helped me prepare for the L&D and all the emotions of holding and raising our next lil' one.

Lauren
2008-Our Baby Girl, PTL born too early at 30w6d, Fought so hard... Forever Loved & Missed
2010- Lil' Bro, Pre-E at 29 weeks... Induced at 36w6d, Born 37w
2012- Lil' Sis, Super-imposed pre-e at 25 weeks, PTL & GD at 35 weeks, Evicted 36w

pippasfantastic

counselling?

Postby pippasfantastic » Thu Nov 13, 640206 7:02 am

I lost my little boy last year at a week old due to pre-e, we made it to 28 weeks.. I'm currently 33 weeks and so far no signs.. fingers crossed.. I'm finding as i go on I'm getting anxiety every morning, around the time i usually do my blood pressure, which is getting worse each week. My consultant has been recommending counseling which i have declined due to feeling like I'm dealing and accepting of what has happened. i don't feel like i need to speak to anybody. however, the anxiety is making me wonder if i should give it a go? i presume they know what to ask? and they ask questions rather then just let me speak, i find it so hard speaking about feelings and opening up to anybody. Ive got the consultant again this Friday, I'm just so undecided whether i should try it or whether it will just go away at the end of this pregnancy, ive only got 5 weeks to go xx

Return to “Pregnant Again?”