Pain while taking BP?

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
suzanne

Re : Pain while taking BP?

Postby suzanne » Sun Jun 28, 637035 12:55 pm

Thanks for the thoughts and advice! I did keep taking my BP yesterday with the pain---I am not sure if the pain or the weather or whatever made it worse, but I got a 142/98 reading last night---so called my drs. office and was told to go into the hospital. I was there for about 4 hours. They did blood tests, NST test, US, etc. All looked okay. My BP when I first got there was about 140/85, but after lying down and being there a while it was down to 100/60! They remarked it was certainly very labile! So of course I need to stick carefully to being in bed. So I will---but I am getting awful heartburn when lying down! It was so bad at the hospital I threw up---I was resisting sitting up. Even sitting up a little raises my BP. Oh, well, as I tell myself many times a day, it's only a little while more and all MORE THAN WORTH IT!!

Suzanne (38) and DH Tony (42) + William (9, severe PE, born at 32 weeks) and Freddy (6, fairly typical pregnancy) and Baby Girl(probably named Laurel Alice, due approx. 8/29/04!)

akemt

Postby akemt » Tue Jun 16, 637035 11:47 pm

I didn't have pain but I always go somewhat numb and tingly whenever my BP is taken and I'm sure it is because of the swelling putting pressure on my nerves. I would imagine that your doctor is right and that yours is more severe. And, I agree with Julie's advice. Please don't stop taking your BP...sounds like you need to be watching it closely right now.

Catherine (23), Moderator (pregnant again)
DH Britton (27)
Emma Margaret (03/02/03) 37 weeks from PIH & oligo
?Lara Julianne? due August 11, 2004 Borderline PIH & gallbladder fun!

aimeejane

Postby aimeejane » Tue Jun 16, 637035 12:28 pm

Hi Suzanne,
I don't remember if I had any pain w/ the BP's with Nicky, but I know I did towards the end with Kalen. I remember being very surprised by it, since I'd never really found BP readings to be uncomfortable, but towards the last week or so before my induction, they were pretty painful.

Like Julie suggested, I'd probably ask for a 24-hour urine test, ASAP.

My fingers are crossed for you!

Aimee
Georgia State Coordinator

Ds Nicky - 3/24/00 (28 wks - eclampsia)
Ds Kalen - 7/10/03 (36 weeks - preeclampsia)

julie f

Postby julie f » Sat Jun 06, 637035 2:12 am

Have you done a 24 hour urine recently? I think if it were me I'd ask for one, showing the +1 yesterday and then nothing today would make me wonder what the real numbers are.

I haven't ever experienced the pain issue while taking my bp but, I hope that it eases up a bit for you.

Hang in there, you're so close. I'm also praying for you that the other shoe never drops.

Please keep us updated!

Julie (27)
Zachary James, 7/22/03-7/27/03, born at 26wks - severe pe

Miracle in progress... #2 is due February 2005!!!

Southern California Coordinator

suzanne

Pain while taking BP?

Postby suzanne » Sat Jun 06, 637035 1:45 am

The last few days, when I take my BP at home, I get terrible pain in my wrist as the cuff deflates. It's so bad I am almost crying out, and needless to say it's not making me eager to take it a lot! I had an appt. today and talked to my dr. about it. She said it is most likely the result of edema getting worse, and the fluids push on things when I take it. I wonder if anyone else has this problem, and if it's a precurser to things getting worse? My BP is running the highest in a while (tonight 138/88) and I am seeing increased swelling mostly just starting today. I had a BPP yesterday which was good! They didn't do a NST today as it hasn't done much good up till now---they will just do weekly BPPs. Yesterday I had +1 protein, today none. Just getting more and more nervous and waiting for the shoe to drop....which I hope and pray it never does.

Suzanne (38) and DH Tony (42) + William (9, severe PE, born at 32 weeks) and Freddy (6, fairly typical pregnancy) and Baby Girl(probably named Laurel Alice, due approx. 8/29/04!)

Return to “Pregnant Again?”