What labs to ask Dr for?

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
laughinggirl127

Re: What labs to ask Dr for?

Postby laughinggirl127 » Mon Feb 29, 639560 7:10 pm

well I called the Dr today as my swelling was really bad for this early. I kept apologizing which he told me there was no need for. Its nice to have a dr that doesn't yell at you for calling. He saw me and ordered some lab work. They took my bp but since it was high made me lay on my left side. I questioned the accuracy of this as I have two children, work full time, and go to school. When is it that I get to lay down exactly. He said I may need to look into getting some help so I can relax as much as possible. We will see how the lab work and 24 hour urine come out. the good thing is at least I am off today and tomorrow. Heres hoping that everything comes out good.
DS born 2003- 39 weeks preeclampsia, 6LBS 7oz
DD born 2009-32 weeks preeclampsia, 3LBS 1oz
DD born 2012-38 weeks, PIH, IUGR 5lbs 4oz- no pree

MomTimesThree
Forum Moderator

Postby MomTimesThree » Thu Feb 18, 639560 11:45 am

Along with our 24hrs they always ran a full "PIH panel" blood test, which included creatine... uric acid and a whole bunch of other stuff. We would do the blood test when we turned in the 24 hr.

Crossin' crossables all your labs come back within normal limits.
2008-Our Baby Girl, PTL born too early at 30w6d, Fought so hard... Forever Loved & Missed
2010- Lil' Bro, Pre-E at 29 weeks... Induced at 36w6d, Born 37w
2012- Lil' Sis, Super-imposed pre-e at 25 weeks, PTL & GD at 35 weeks, Evicted 36w

angieb

Postby angieb » Wed Feb 17, 639560 12:33 pm

24 hour urine, platelet levels, and liver enzymes. Not so much because it sounds like you have HELLP but because it does sound like trouble may be starting so it's good to have a baseline on those if you don't already have one. (My platelets dropped from over 250k to 150k in 6 hours. If they had just seen the 150k, that's on the low side of normal but not really especially concerning. But since they had actually dropped 100,000, that actually was pretty concerning.)
Me (29) DH (30)
#1-Olivia Caetlyn-9-28-09-9-28-09, 23+2 wks, emergency classic c-section, class I HELLP, IUGR
#2- Lucas Oliver (rainbow baby)- April 2011, 36+2 wks, HELLP and pre-e free! (lovenox and LDA pregnancy)
#3-Matthew, late October 2012...mostly normal, 37 wks, (lovenox and LDA again)
My blog: http://www.butterflies-and-rainbows.blogspot.com/

Shannonlynn

Postby Shannonlynn » Wed Feb 17, 639560 7:40 am

24 hour urine sounds right. Once they get results back from that they can decide if you need other testing. I would definitely ask for a bp med. That way, it will stabilize a bit and you can have some peace. Maybe you should try to be seen sooner than later, say Monday. The weight gain, fluid retention, and headache are concerning. Please keep us posted.
Shannonlynn-mommy to Frederick Otto "Fritzy"
born May 6, 2011, became an angel one hour later
Severe PE at 24 weeks to the day
Gavin Walden born 8-4-12,lovenox, folgard, lda, prenatals. PE and HELLP free.

laughinggirl127

What labs to ask Dr for?

Postby laughinggirl127 » Tue Feb 16, 639560 1:07 pm

This is a silly question and one I should know as a nurse but for some reason I am coming up blank on what labs I should ask the Dr to run at my next visit. I am starting to have higher BP's 130/90's (usual non pregnant 105/60), some mild pitting edema in my legs and feet, generalized swelling every where else, a 5 lb weight gain this week, trace protein in my urine at home, and crappy headaches. I was thinking the 24 hour urine for a base line and liver enzymes. Am I missing anything that would be important to miss.

Also do you think that I should ask for a small dose of BP meds as my numbers are so much greater than my baseline. I was really trying to be on top of my pregnancy this time and will hopefull make it much further than last so that I get to stay in town. We only have a level 2 nicu here so I was air lifted two hours away and it was really hard being gone and then having to go visit baby. Although I did love that hospital and received great care. Hope everyone is having a good weekend and thanks in advance for any advice.
DS born 2003- 39 weeks preeclampsia, 6LBS 7oz
DD born 2009-32 weeks preeclampsia, 3LBS 1oz
DD born 2012-38 weeks, PIH, IUGR 5lbs 4oz- no pree

Return to “Pregnant Again?”