Measuring small at first u/s... poor implantation?

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
laura

Re: Measuring small at first u/s... poor implantation?

Postby laura » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:55 pm

I seem to remember something my doc said during #1 that all babies grow at the same rate until around~16 weeks, and then things like environment (read: placenta) and genetics start kicking in. It seems like when they're that small they are hard to get good measurements of, and I know that we suspected growth restriction with #2, but it turns out it had more to do with the fact that I had a new ultrasound tech for the 'off' measurement. Hope that helps!
Mom to Allie (1998, severe PE)| Camille (2003, oligohydramnios )|the Dude (2007, chronic hypertension)
The Captain is my hero!

aajatwins
Forum Moderator

Postby aajatwins » Wed Feb 22, 2012 09:01 pm

No worrying yet!!
My last pregnancy was similar to Angie's: 1st u/s baby measured 3 days behind. 2nd u/s he measured 3 days ahead. By 30 weeks or so, he was measuring a full week ahead and was born at 39 weeks on the dot weighing 8lbs 13oz!
I think you are safe to relax until later in the pregnancy when the measuring is more exact (and even then, it's not exact :) ).
Anna (28) - endometriosis
Hubby (27)
Aidan & Jordan - 7.2.09 at 36 weeks. Induction turned emergency c-section due to eclampsia. big healthy toddlers today!
Asa - 10.23.11 at 39 weeks. NO hypertensive issues!! successful VBAC :)

Shannonlynn

Postby Shannonlynn » Wed Feb 22, 2012 08:32 pm

I would not become alarmed at this time. If anything, you need to stay calm and take care of yourself. It is very early and the doctors will keep a close eye on you. I 'm sure they will work on a plan of action. Like the others have said, if you don't know exactly when you ovulated that could change things. Just breathe mama. We all know where you are coming from.
Shannonlynn-mommy to Frederick Otto "Fritzy"
born May 6, 2011, became an angel one hour later
Severe PE at 24 weeks to the day
Gavin Walden born 8-4-12,lovenox, folgard, lda, prenatals. PE and HELLP free.

MomTimesThree
Forum Moderator

Postby MomTimesThree » Wed Feb 22, 2012 07:56 pm

I was charting so knew exactly when we ovulated... still at our first u/s at I think 5w5d I measured 4w5d.. a full week behind... I was totally freaked... but like the PP said... millimeters mean days. We're currently 17 weeks with what so far is a very healthy pregnancy! At the next u/s a week later we measured spot on. Crossin' crossables this is your one and only little bump and you have a totally uneventful nine months! :)
2008-Our Baby Girl, PTL born too early at 30w6d, Fought so hard... Forever Loved & Missed
2010- Lil' Bro, Pre-E at 29 weeks... Induced at 36w6d, Born 37w
2012- Lil' Sis, Super-imposed pre-e at 25 weeks, PTL & GD at 35 weeks, Evicted 36w

angieb

Postby angieb » Wed Feb 22, 2012 05:17 pm

Unless you know when you ovulated, which it sounds like you don't, then I wouldn't worry too much about it this early.

With DS, I knew EXACTLY when I ovulated, almost down to the hour thanks to fertility treatments, and he measured about 5 days behind for our first ultrasound at 6 weeks, 4 days behind a week later, and by 9 weeks he was exactly on track, by 13 weeks he was measuring several days ahead and continued to get more and more ahead as my pregnancy went on. (He was born at 36 weeks weighing 7.4 lbs.) Our daughter had severe IUGR and so I was really really worried in the early days with DS when he measured behind, and I spent a lot of time worrying about nothing. (I did not get pre-e at all in that pregnancy.)

The baby/embryo is so so little at 6-7 weeks, they are just a few millimeters big on the screen, so even the barest fraction of a millimeter off of the cursor can be the difference of "days" of measurement, that early. More importantly this early, is that you saw a nice strong heartbeat. I would try not to stress too much about measuring behind/ahead this early though! (Easier said than done, I know!)
Me (29) DH (30)
#1-Olivia Caetlyn-9-28-09-9-28-09, 23+2 wks, emergency classic c-section, class I HELLP, IUGR
#2- Lucas Oliver (rainbow baby)- April 2011, 36+2 wks, HELLP and pre-e free! (lovenox and LDA pregnancy)
#3-Matthew, late October 2012...mostly normal, 37 wks, (lovenox and LDA again)
My blog: http://www.butterflies-and-rainbows.blogspot.com/

Petunia

Measuring small at first u/s... poor implantation?

Postby Petunia » Wed Feb 22, 2012 03:15 pm

We just had what was supposed to be a 7w ultrasound... everything looked great except baby is measuring at 6w2d. My cycles are a bit longer than the average 28 days, more like 31-32 days... so I know that could account for some of the discrepancy, but it still makes me nervous. So I guess my question is if baby is measuring behind this early, is that an indication of poor implantation? Obviously the next question being is it a very early indication of problems to come?
Married the love of my life 7/11/2009
Our first child, Peyton Mark, was born sleeping at 33 weeks on Oct. 25th 2011. Developed pre-e at 32 weeks.
Pregnant again with what I pray is our rainbow baby, due Oct. 14th 2012. Will induce labor no later than 38 weeks if we make it that far!

Return to “Pregnant Again?”