link between indigestion and pre-e?

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
danielsmom

Re: link between indigestion and pre-e?

Postby danielsmom » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:03 pm

I've had that HELLP URQ pain that my doctors at first called indigestion. It's not indigestion. It's also not gastritis or gall bladder related, another thing they suspected and tests ruled out. Indigestion doesn't leave you on the bathroom floor in agony, vomiting, for hours. I wonder if they just describe indigestion as a symptom for HELLP because they don't really have a specific word for URQ pain. My MFM later told me that my liver was the cause of my pain. So, I'm saying maybe there's no true link because it's not the same thing...? Or maybe indigestion can be (but is not always) a downline symptom from the root cause. I never had esophageal burning, though that (indigestion/heartburn) is a common pregnancy symptom.

They ran my bloodwork while I was having one of these episodes in the hospital, and it came back for HELLP, so they obviously concluded that was the cause of the pain. I do think it's possible that when one or two systems start to fail (like the circulatory system, liver and kidneys in the case of pre-e & HELLP), your other systems get pretty ticked off too, which explains the vomiting. By the way I never had a day of morning or anytime sickness otherwise. Even my spleen was inflamed. And I bet there are lab rats who've never seen so many tests. ;)
Miscarriage Feb 05 & Dec 07
Daniel born Feb 09 at 27w5d, 1 lb 1 oz/12 inches (severe IUGR) due to Severe Pre-E & HELLP. Now tall for age and no complications.
Diagnosed with MTHFR
Cornual Ectopic miscarriage Mar 11
Natalie born 6-5-12 at full term, 7 lb 11 oz & 21.5 inches, progesterone 2-8 weeks (for suspected luteal phase defect), lovenox 6-29 weeks, lda 0-36 weeks, folic.

libby123

Postby libby123 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 09:29 pm

Hmmm...indigestion seems to be a common prengnacy symptom no matter what. I wouldn't count it as a pre-e symptom just because it is so very common in pregnancy. When baby pushes up on your organs as he/she gets bigger, there is less room in the stomach and acid can occur as your organs shift around. Maybe this coinscides with pre-e because pre-e normally occurs as baby gets bigger and demands more from the placenta. Like aajatwins said, it can occur in different pregnancies, pre-e or not.
Mommy to Sailor Ann, born on February 17th 2011 at 36 weeks by c-section due to PIH that slowly turned into preeclampsia.

aajatwins
Forum Moderator

Postby aajatwins » Mon Feb 20, 2012 09:13 pm

Heartburn/indigestion is definitely a symptom of PE. You'll have to wait for one of the science-y people to explain why! That's beyond me!
In both of my pregnancies, after I stopped feeling nauseated, I started getting heartburn. I'll say this backwards for the sake of making a case for PE-related heartburn... In my singleton pregnancy - which was my 2nd - I had pretty bad heartburn, basically after eating or drinking anything and used the generic prescription version of prilosec and it took care of it. That was clearly a normal pregnancy symptom for me because I never developed any hypertensive issues. In my first pregnancy, I had horrendous heartburn to the point of not wanting to eat because I knew what was coming. Now, I never asked for prescription meds, but the OTC acid reducer worked until around 25 or 30 weeks. I stopped taking it after that because it was useless and just wallowed in self-pity :) Seriously. I don't know why I never asked for meds. But I believe it was much worse in that pregnancy because of my BP issues (I believe I had PIH).
Water will always make it worse (that used to kill me in the middle of the night - go for a drink because I feel like my esophagus is on fire and it would make it 1000x worse). Even taking those prilosec pills was hard in the morning because you take them with a full glass of water. Milk should help, but ask your doc about meds and keep a check on if it gets better or worse.
Anna (28) - endometriosis
Hubby (27)
Aidan & Jordan - 7.2.09 at 36 weeks. Induction turned emergency c-section due to eclampsia. big healthy toddlers today!
Asa - 10.23.11 at 39 weeks. NO hypertensive issues!! successful VBAC :)

sam10
Forum Moderator

Postby sam10 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 08:52 pm

Indigestion is listed as one of the symptoms for HELLP: http://www.preeclampsia.org/health-info ... p-syndrome
I have never felt any of it, but some describe it as intense acid reflux or pain under the rib cage, and it can be accompanied by vomiting. Is this what you are experiencing?
But it could also be just "normal" pregnancy symptom; either way it might be best to check with your health care provider.
MC 3/2009 and 3/2011
H (1/1/2010-1/7/2010) - forever loved and missed; severe PE with Hellp; partial placental abruption, classical c-section at 25.6 weeks
M (Nov. 2012, born at 35.4 weeks) - severe PE

Jax2011

link between indigestion and pre-e?

Postby Jax2011 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 04:28 pm

Anyone heard about the connection of indigestion and pre-e is? I remember hearing something about it after my son was born but now I can't find anything.

I am now 19 weeks and the indigestion has started again, right around the same time as I was pregnant with my son. It does not matter what I eat or drink... water is the worst. Anyone else have horribale indigestion?
Momma to DS born 30+3 at 2lbs 10oz to pre-e.
Baby #2 due in July 2012.... crossing our fingers for a pre-e free pregnacny!

Return to “Pregnant Again?”