When should kicks become prevalent?

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
mom29

Re: When should kicks become prevalent?

Postby mom29 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 03:12 pm

I'm 25+ weeks and my little girl scared me this past week by slowing way down on her movement. I was feeling regular kicking when I woke up, randomly during the day, and at night when I finally laid down, so the sudden quietness was alarming.

I was very very close to calling my mfm doctor so I could go in to see if she was still alive. I'd had a juice box and three Oreo cookies and she still wasn't moving. I took a really hot bath and after about an hour she moved a bit.

Someone told me that if the baby changed positions and was kicking upwards (towards my ribs) instead of towards my left or right side I might not feel the movements.

I agree with the idea of getting a better home doppler so you can reassure yourself. I think closer to 28 weeks or so you should feel more regular baby movement.

Don't hesitate to call your doctor if you are concerned, after all you have been through they will certainly understand.

laura

Postby laura » Mon Aug 22, 2011 01:32 pm

I'm so sorry you're having to go through this. I can relate a little bit- my second one developed low amniotic fluid early on- which meant that because the placenta wasn't working properly, all the blood flow was directed towards her head while everything else- including her kidneys- hibernated. I didn't just suspect that the placenta wasn't working, I knew it- and lived in terror of reduced movement. I became a big fan of kick counts. You pick the same time each day, you spend 20 minutes counting three movements- and if you don't get them, you get up, have some iced tea, go to the bathroom and keep counting. By making the process routine, over the months ,I became aware of what her normal movements are, so as the placenta began to crap out, I knew it before it showed up on NSTs.

Here's a link to a previous post on how to do them:
http://www.preeclampsia.org/forum/viewt ... =17&t=5216

Aside from that, there are a few indicators that your baby is doing ok in there-- I began doing growth ultrasounds every three weeks to assess if her growth was on target, they checked her amniotic fluid, which is another indicator of fetal well being and I did my kick counts twice a day- and you just have to take it minute to minute, and hang in there. Hope this helps :)
Mom to Allie (1998, severe PE)| Camille (2003, oligohydramnios )|the Dude (2007, chronic hypertension)
The Captain is my hero!

jean

Postby jean » Thu Aug 18, 2011 08:29 pm

I did talk to my OB about it..today I had an appt. but no ultrasound..just listening to the heart and feeling the uterus. They attempted an NST last week, but didn't have much luck with it because the baby kept moving away from the doppler. He does seem to move a fair amount if you try to pin him down (with a doppler, sometimes even when my hubby puts his hand on my stomach) but as for movement on his own, I only detect it 3 or sometimes 4x a day (there were days earlier where I would feel him once or not at all in a day, but it seems to be a little more prevelant now I guess), and I feel like maybe it should be more often?

I have been having horrible insomnia as well (and discomfort trying to sleep due to birsitis), so I've been awake the majority of the night and haven't noticed any increase in kicking then either.

My OB did not suggest anything to do about it or anything. So I don't know. I'm not freaking out about it or anything right now, esp. since we've heard the heartbeat recently..and I know that he's alive in there b/c I do feel a kick every now and then..it just seems like it should be more often. I don't have placenta previa, so that's not the reason I'm not feeling much. I just always thought that my first son never moved a lot, even though he passed all of the tests and everything...and then before I knew it, things went terribly wrong..

In retrospect, I felt like he wasn't getting the nutrients and such that he needed, which in turn made him not as active. I find myself wondering if this is happening again with my current child.
Our first son was born and passed in Feb of 2010. Born at 29 weeks due to HELLP and passed due to NEC. We miss him every day. :~(

Our second son was born at 39 weeks gestation in Nov of 2011. No HELLP or pre-e! Took LDA starting at week 12 and went off of it at week 38!

http://findingtherainbowconnection.blogspot.com/

princess purr

Postby princess purr » Wed Aug 10, 2011 07:17 pm

When I was preggers I don't remember feeling a lot of movement until I was admitted to the hosp at 25 weeks. I would feel kicks now and then and I used to drink some hot coco every night to make her kick so I could feel it. But unless I was laying down or sitting still and really looking for it I didn't feel it. During the 20 week ultrasound the ultrasound tech said she couldn't believe i wasn't feeling the kicks because they were strong. If you have concerns call your doc. You have every right to be nervous after what you went through.
Val (34) & Carlos (32)
Married: April 29th 2011
Veronica Rosina, 11/25/2004-11/27/2004
Born at 26.5 weeks (1 lb 4oz, 14 inches) because of severe preeclampsia (doc says I was on my way to HELLP but not there yet)
Nicholas Robert, 11/22/2013 7 lb 7oz 19.5 inches, born at 36 weeks (due to previous classical c-section) PE FREE!!!!!!

christina89

Postby christina89 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 06:41 pm

My Dr wanted to put me on anti axiety pills but I refused, They are only good for some ppl in my opinon. They were worried about me because i got pregnant only 5 months after losing my son. I was a wreck but I knew I had to try with out the meds and im 35 weeks now and I swear my husband is sick of me talking and my mom and my close friends but thats how I delt with it, also I seen a dr every week even if my MFM or my OB apps werent for 2 weeks I asked my family Dr to see me every week that my OB and MFM couldnt that helped tons as well. Im very busy I have at least 2 app every week now plus shopping for baby and cleaning my house and doing lots of walking and I have been since about 20 weeks so my Dr told me that when your busy you hardly ever feel babe move because you can actually rock your babe to sleep by walking, working or talking. So maybe your babes just like my little girl was she slept all day and was wide awake all night when i woke up to pee sometimes i could get her to move abit for me. and sometimes when your working or staying busy your really do just miss her movements. I hope this again helps you.

jean

Postby jean » Wed Aug 10, 2011 05:59 pm

Trying to stay away from meds..thanks though anyway....I think I'd only go on them as a last resort if I was falling apart every day (or even every other day, other than just being worried-which is def. warranted in my case...and my family is worried as well)

I'm not currently working..but will be PT this fall.
Our first son was born and passed in Feb of 2010. Born at 29 weeks due to HELLP and passed due to NEC. We miss him every day. :~(

Our second son was born at 39 weeks gestation in Nov of 2011. No HELLP or pre-e! Took LDA starting at week 12 and went off of it at week 38!

aajatwins
Forum Moderator

Postby aajatwins » Wed Aug 10, 2011 02:52 pm

I can understand fretting if you haven't felt the baby all day. But are you working? Or up and moving around all the time? Because some of those smaller kicks won't register with you while you're going all day long. There are other ways of getting baby to move, usually, too. Try getting on your hands and knees and rocking back and forth. Or drink a little Mt. Dew instead of OJ! I went to the OB probably around 23 weeks this time because I hadn't felt my baby move during what I know are his most active times. But of course, when I got there, he was just hanging out. When I thought back, I'd had a long weekend of being up and about, drinking caffeinated drinks (which I don't normally do) and he had been active that whole time. So the day I didn't feel much, he was probably sleeping it off :) and it was early to be feeling such regular movement, too. I mean, it never hurts to call and go in. but there is a point where you need to think about what your stress and worry is doing to you (and baby). I'm sure it's perfectly normal for some of us to not be able to handle the anxiety on our own. Maybe a bath or a little prenatal yoga every night would do you wonders for calming and having some quality time with baby and breaking that cycle of stress. but meds are a thought, too, if those things wouldn't/won't help. You need to enjoy this pregnancy :)
Anna (28) - endometriosis
Hubby (27)
Aidan & Jordan - 7.2.09 at 36 weeks. Induction turned emergency c-section due to eclampsia. big healthy toddlers today!
Asa - 10.23.11 at 39 weeks. NO hypertensive issues!! successful VBAC :)

angieb

Postby angieb » Wed Aug 10, 2011 02:01 pm

#1-Get a real doppler and stop using that toy! You can get one on ebay for 40-50$.We started picking up the heartbeat at around 12 weeks on ours.
#2- Have you talked to your doctors about anxiety meds? Forgive me if I'm overstepping, it IS normal to be anxious after a pregnancy with a loss and they prefer for you to avoid them if possible (i know because i asked my docs about it myself), BUT, from what I have read from your posts over the last couple of months, in my very nonmedical opinion, I think they might help you a lot. I have a friend who was on them her entire pregnancy and we've had other members on them. If you are so worried-and then worrying about worrying- that you feel like it may be harming your baby, I think that's a sign that you may need a bit more help to get through these next several weeks. It never really gets easier until that baby is safely in your arms, and some weeks the anxiety gets much worse.
#3-Kicks/movement is pretty sporadic until around 26ish weeks when they fall into more of a pattern. Most babies spend the day sleeping in utero and nights awake.
Me (29) DH (30)
#1-Olivia Caetlyn-9-28-09-9-28-09, 23+2 wks, emergency classic c-section, class I HELLP, IUGR
#2- Lucas Oliver (rainbow baby)- April 2011, 36+2 wks, HELLP and pre-e free! (lovenox and LDA pregnancy)
#3-Matthew, late October 2012...mostly normal, 37 wks, (lovenox and LDA again)
My blog: http://www.butterflies-and-rainbows.blogspot.com/

christina89

Postby christina89 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:17 am

I cant imagine how you feel I always say the best thing to do is go with our gut if you feel like theres something wrong then the best thing you can do for you and baby is go in and get looked at. With this little one I didnt feel the best movements till I was about 26 weeks then thats when it became more often. But before that I would go some days with out feeling her move it would upset me so much. But I seen my Dr every week and he would always tell me she was fine until i woke up one day to her kicking and she hasnt stopped yet at 35 weeks. They say it can depend on many things. i would talk to your dr again until you feel comfortable. expecially after your experiance last pregnancy. At 23 weeks it hard to get that little heart beat on a at home monitor from my experiance. They wiggle and move away from it and sometime you cant even feel them running away. Please do call your Dr. if it makes you feel better and more relaxed than its the right thing to do. your Dr and the nurses will understand after all you have been threw. After losing my baby boy last June at 23 weeks I have been driving me Drs and nurses nuts with this pregnancy even some heartburn and Im in the hospital getting looked at. But they all are very caring and understand. After losing a baby and/or going threw the trama of PE or Eclampsia or HELLP we deserve the right to do what makes us feel more comfortable :) I hope all is well with your little one and he/she starts kicking you like crazy> i hope many many weeks of a healthy pregnancy for you!! I hope this helps

jean

Postby jean » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:58 am

This morning hubby and I sat on the couch with this pathetic "heart monitor" that really seems like a toy stethescope I had when I was a kid...I can't pick up a heartbeat with it for the life of me...but baby has kicked at it before...so we sat in silence, both knowing I hadn't felt any kicking for a day or so and moved that around on my stomach...and felt/saw nothing...both with tears streaming down our faces...finally, baby kicked at it.
This is so unfair to have to go through this. (And of course, now baby has been kicking since..I think b/c I got upset and made him upset)

I don't want to call my OB in such situations b/c I would be calling often, and he told me that up to 24 weeks movement is sporadic. (But even with him telling me that, it doesn't make me feel any better. Like I mentioned earlier, with our son, movement was never that great, and even though the doctor and NST and everything else said he was ok, I knew that he was not. (And I was right)

Return to “Pregnant Again?”