On the road once again...

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
pipper

Re: On the road once again...

Postby pipper » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:08 pm

My son was born at 34 weeks on the dot. I had the steroids a few days before. He was in the NICU for 17 days since he was a little small and needed help regulating his temperature, but other than that, he was/is fine. 34 weekers are giants compared to the other babies in the NICU...if you do end up delivering that early, though it's not ideal of course, I wouldn't stress too, too much (if possible!).
me-25 years old
dh-31 years old
Baby Biko, here and gone Nov.28,2008 at 28 weeks due to severe HELLP.
Remy born Feb.4,2010 at 34 weeks (3 lbs 10 oz) due to Preeclampsia. Lovely and so healthy!
Balu born Oct.21,2011 at 37 week. PE and HELLP free!

ktsl123

Postby ktsl123 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 03:02 pm

I had steriod's at 34 +6 days and then delivered my son at 35 +2 days and he was not in the NICU although he had jaundice and had to be wrapped up in a biliruben blanket at home for a few days at home.
Son born healthy at 5lbs 8oz at 35 weeks +2 days due to Severe PE on 7-21-09

tree
Forum Moderator

Postby tree » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:59 pm

My daughter was born two hours into week 35, and I have heard that her two weeks of NICU time is pretty typical. She needed a little help with her breathing at first, but she beat me off of O2. I think that must have been a day or two (I wish I remembered). I know that she still had an IV in her head when I met her, but that came out in a few days. She spent the rest of the time there working up to full feedings. The NICU is not fun with a grower/feeder, but it isn't bad. We had a completely different experience than friends who had "real" preemies. We never had to worry that something would go wrong, and our biggest concern was that she would take a month to finish a feeding and go home. She did have some minor health issues until she was about 18 months old. We had some trouble diagnosing her asthma (runs in the family, probably not related to prematurity), and that gave us a few scares. Our pediatrician said that she would outgrow her few preemie issues by age 2. She is now the tallest and chattiest kid in her class. She is a normal kid.
I am far more screwed up from HELLP than my daughter is. I also dread the Mag and do not consider you the least bit selfish for not wanting that experience again. We all hate the stuff. I hope you can hang in there and have a healthy take-home baby without any mag.
Daughter born April 2009 at 35 weeks due to Class 1 HELLP

jamie w

Postby jamie w » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:24 pm

My last baby had an irregular heartrate on a few of my BPPs and he was also born somewhere between 34-35 weeks. He spent 18 days in the NICU. He was only really there for hypertension and because he wouldn't eat. He only had the irregular heartbeat once during the 18 days he was monitored after being born. He will be 5 months old tomorrow and is perfectly healthy. I wish you and your baby the same, if not better, as our outcome:)
Jamie
DD Carly 7-1-04 PE at 37 weeks (6 lbs 9 oz)
DD Anna 12-3-07 PE at 24 weeks and delivered at 38 weeks after 13 weeks bedrest, gestational diabetes, and oligo. This sweet baby has cerebral palsy and epilepsy thanks to my dear friend PE (5 lbs 15 oz)
DS Gabe 2-24-11 at 35 weeks for chronic HTN with superimposed PIH (5 lb 13 oz) 18 NICU days
http://www.ourlifeinholland.blogspot.com

mommy2maddie

Postby mommy2maddie » Sat Jul 23, 2011 09:28 pm

I just wanted to chime in here, when I was pregnant with my DS, I was hospitalized at 28 weeks for high bp (170/80), and I had to do the 24 hour urine collection. While I was there my bp went down and my protein came back in the 220's, I was sooo convinced that I was on the road to getting PE again, (I posted alot at that time about it), I was so sure that everytime I went to the doctor I was going to be admitted and have my son. I did a 24 hour urine collection every two weeks after that and the next one came back at like 140 (I was on bedrest so that may have helped, Im not sure). Anyway I ended up delivering at 35 weeks (cant believe I even made it that far) due to PPROM. After I had my son I did another 24 urine and it also came back in the 200's. If I would have stayed pregnant, I dont know if I would have gotten PE again or not, I often wonder about that. My DS had trouble breathing and was in the NICU for five days but hes now a healthy almost two year old. So anyway my whole point is, I wouldnt be so "sure" your going to get it again, or that you are on your way to getting it. I went from thinking he was going to be born earlier than his sister (29 weeker), to making it 7 more weeks!
Alissa 23
DH Richard 25
DD Madison Rene 6/2008 29 weeks 4 days 2lbs. 7oz. 45 days NICU Severe PE
DS RJ 10/2009 35 weeks 5lbs. 13oz. 5 days NICU PPROM
Baby #3 Due July 2, 2012

aajatwins
Forum Moderator

Postby aajatwins » Sat Jul 23, 2011 03:37 pm

My twin boys were born at 36 weeks exactly. They were big for twins - 5lbs14oz & 6lbs3oz, but still not huge babies. One didn't need NICU at all and the other only needed it for about 4 days for rapid breathing - no oxygen or anything. There are definitely babies born younger that survive with and without long term issues.

I got the steroids earlier on (around 30 weeks because of preterm labor), but I think most docs will only give them up to about 32 weeks. After that, they really don't see the need.
Anna (28) - endometriosis
Hubby (27)
Aidan & Jordan - 7.2.09 at 36 weeks. Induction turned emergency c-section due to eclampsia. big healthy toddlers today!
Asa - 10.23.11 at 39 weeks. NO hypertensive issues!! successful VBAC :)

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Sat Jul 23, 2011 02:55 pm

Steroids are not without the potential to harm. Like any drug, they have risks and benefits and the value of administering them changes as your situation changes. Your doc most likely has talked to neonatologists and can refer you to one to talk about whether or not steroids have more benefits than risks for your pregnancy.

My son was born at 34 weeks on the nose and came home after a week in NICU. He's the sturdiest kid I know.
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy

christina89

Postby christina89 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:25 am

Hey, I'm so sorry this is happening to you! I know somewhat how you feel right now. My bp was up at my last app to the diagnostic level. And my Dr upped me from 400 mg of labatalol to 800 and its only come down abit I have the headaches as well. I'm 32 and a half weeks. So ill be more than likely delivering around 35 36 weeks if all stays calm but if my bps keep going up ill be delivering before I want to. I have been doing as much research as I can on babys born between 33 and 36 weeks and it looks like they have a great chance of survival. I know things can happen and I feel the same way I'm terrified to lose another child. Best thing to do is talk to a Dr and see what they think. My Drs are happy with her being 4lbs and I have fetal assessments done every two weeks and they say she's developing very well and growing like a little weed and that helps ease my mind. Also when you talk to your Dr. Demand the steroids. That will only improve things for your baby as well. Also for the mag :( not looking forward to that ither. Ill be thinking about you and your babe I hope you can at least limp alone till 36 or 37 weeks. Keep us posted ill be thinking of you and baby!

frogibe

Postby frogibe » Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:05 am

My doctor doesn't feel strongly about the steroids at this point. He says he thinks by 34 weeks they do well without them. Although I would like to have them since they cannot hurt her. My first had steroids and was born at 28+2 weeks and did well with her breathing. Was on a vent only for 2 days and went straight to canulas. She passed away but not due to breathing issues.
Jennifer(30) Chronic Hypertensive
mommy to Kelsie born 1-10-10 from severe pre-e and HELLP at 28wks.
grew her wings on 2-14-10 due to NEC.
and to Josephine born 8-4-11 at 35wks. due to low amniotic fluid, but PE and HELLP FREE!!!! I kicked PRE-E in the behind!!!!!
Surprise! We added a third baby girl, Amelia born on 4-26-2013 at 36.4 wks. via scheduled c-section. PRE-free!

rhodges

Postby rhodges » Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:59 am

Sounds a lot like my case. I would be sure to ask for steroids!

Return to “Pregnant Again?”