Never thought about this....

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
kbunsey

Re: Never thought about this....

Postby kbunsey » Mon Dec 06, 639249 3:00 am

Favorite brand of toilet paper - hospital TP is like sandpaper
Slippers
Robe
Normal socks
Jammies
iPod
MyBrestFriend or Boppy nursing pillow if you plan on nursing - So hard to get comfortable in hospital
Nursing bra and accessories
Snacks
Stuff for daddy if he's staying over
Ditto a lot of stuff already metioned by others
A friend or family member on call to bring you good food and other last minute items
Katie, married to Doug. Mom to Fiona Elizabeth, stillborn June 21, 2008 @ 26w; Severe Preeclampsia. Loved. Kyle James, born October 29, 2009 @ 39w; Healthy and PE Free!!! Josephine, born Nov.17, 2011 @ 39w; PE free again. Woot!

heather j
Forum Moderator

Postby heather j » Wed Nov 24, 639249 12:13 pm

Definitely yes on the chapstick! I always bring lotion for my hands and feet, too, and some hand sanitizer. The hospital provides a small bottle, but I take one of those ginormous economy-sized ones so that visitors see it and take the hint. ;) If you plan to nurse, even though it's cumbersome to pack, I'd suggest a Boppy or similar pillow. I couldn't have managed post-section nursing in the hospital without it. You'll want to remember bra pads, too, either cloth (my preference for home and hospital) or disposables (just in case your milk comes in before you leave and you need them). I also take my own pillow because I can't stand the rubbery hospital ones, but that's just personal preference. :) Happy packing!
Heather (PAI-1 4G/4G) mama to:
Nicolas Edison (6/2004) 36 weeks, PE, HELLP, and placental abruption
Ella Amelia (3/2007) 37 weeks, lovenox, PE-free
Oliver Lyon (1/2011) 37 weeks, lovenox, PE-free
Milo Mason (2/2014) 39 weeks PE-free

trish
Forum Moderator

Postby trish » Wed Nov 24, 639249 4:56 am

chapstick - the air can be drying & they don't let you drink much during labor!!
Trish: mama to my 3 PE Princesses:
Elizabeth 11/6/03 induced at 37 weeks for PE
Katie 4/13/05 induced at 38 weeks for PE
Allison 12/27/07 induced at 36 weeks for PE then PP PE & BP issues for over a year

alexis
Forum Moderator

Postby alexis » Wed Nov 24, 639249 3:37 am

I need to find out exactly what the hospital gives you here--last time I got nothing. (As in, bring your own pads, diapers, and towels--and the midwives were quite put out that I was unprepared, partly because I wasn't expecting to be admitted yet but partly because I never knew about things like not getting towels. They were rather rude in fact.)

Stuff I did need and expected to need and which DH ended up bringing in piecemeal:

- Clothes for me. Comfy pjs (you may prefer a gown for post-section), robe, slippers. And something easy to wear for going home. I am ok with PJ bottoms but my incision doesn't rub against the fabric; if you're relatively flat-stomached and the incision doesn't go into a fold, you may find pants unpleasant.
- Underwear you don't care about ruining. They should have the disposable mesh ones if you like those but you'll need to switch to real pants eventually. Also, again with the incision, you may want briefs so the waistband doesn't rub.
- Toiletries. Don't be me, remember your contact lens case and glasses. Luckily they forgot to ask if I was wearing contacts, so I got to see the OR in all its splendor
- Outfit for baby, from what I read most everything else will be provided in the USA (last time I had to bring all the baby gear; all they gave me was cotton wool for wiping up)
- Books to read. Baby might be demanding, might be sleepy.
- Electronic devices of your choice
- Snack food (this might be me)

I would expect them to have the multi-user breastpumps--even my hospital did and gave you the kit as long as you were in the hospital, for sanitary reasons.
Chronic hypertension
Aliza - 01/05/2007 - Severe preeclampsia, emergency CS 37 weeks
Isaac - 09/26/2011 - controlled on 150mg Toprol, NO PE, 39 weeks!

frogibe

Postby frogibe » Tue Nov 23, 639249 10:34 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions ladies. I will have to help pack the hubbies clothes due to if I could foresee the future he would wait until we were ready to leave to pack..LOL! I will be renting a breast pump from the hospital to take home and I know they let you use one if if needed while there. Great ideas with the nursing jammies! I was thinking of what I would go home in but didn't even think about comfys for myself. I had to wear the hospital gown the whole stay last time...boo! I guess I will start my list!
Jennifer(30) Chronic Hypertensive
mommy to Kelsie born 1-10-10 from severe pre-e and HELLP at 28wks.
grew her wings on 2-14-10 due to NEC.
and to Josephine born 8-4-11 at 35wks. due to low amniotic fluid, but PE and HELLP FREE!!!! I kicked PRE-E in the behind!!!!!
Surprise! We added a third baby girl, Amelia born on 4-26-2013 at 36.4 wks. via scheduled c-section. PRE-free!

aajatwins
Forum Moderator

Postby aajatwins » Tue Nov 23, 639249 8:10 pm

you probably want to take clothes that you wore (are wearing) at the end of the second trimester for your going home outfit. While you stay at the hospital, you'll want jammies of whatever kind (nursing gowns are excellent with c-sections) and a robe & slippers. The hospital will provide diapers, blankets, pacis and whatever else for the baby (and take EVERYthing they put in your room - take it all home, you'll need it). You don't need a breastpump, either (well, you shouldn't, I would think all hospitals will provide that for you, if you need it). But you will need nursing bras, if you plan to nurse.

You might want to have things like your birth plan and a list of people to call written out. You might not use it, but you never know. Also, a laptop is essential for us because we don't have smart phones.
Don't forget to pack hubby's clothes, too! (hope I'm not the only one with a hubby who needs help packing)
Anna (28) - endometriosis
Hubby (27)
Aidan & Jordan - 7.2.09 at 36 weeks. Induction turned emergency c-section due to eclampsia. big healthy toddlers today!
Asa - 10.23.11 at 39 weeks. NO hypertensive issues!! successful VBAC :)

amandaoasis

Postby amandaoasis » Tue Nov 23, 639249 11:41 am

Amanda, mom to:
Bennett, born 11/24/08 at 31 weeks 2 days due to HELLP. 3 lbs. 7 oz. 16 inches
Vivian, born 10/28/10 at 39 weeks 1 day. Induced due to mildly creeping BP's. 7 lbs. 10oz. 20 inches.

2011 Denver Promise Walk and 5K Run Co-coordinator
Register here:

http://www.promisewalk.org/pfpw/fundeve ... ffundid=28

jean

Postby jean » Tue Nov 23, 639249 8:12 am

hmm..I would bring camera and charger, cell phone/charger, all of the essential toiletries-like your own shampoo/conditioner (if you don't want to use the hospital's), comb, toothpaste, toothbrush, clean underwear socks/to wear when you leave the hospital and a change of clothes if you want to wear something different when you leave from what you wore when you went in....any other ideas anyone?
Our first son was born and passed in Feb of 2010. Born at 29 weeks due to HELLP and passed due to NEC. We miss him every day. :~(

Our second son was born at 39 weeks gestation in Nov of 2011. No HELLP or pre-e! Took LDA starting at week 12 and went off of it at week 38!

http://findingtherainbowconnection.blogspot.com/

christina89

Postby christina89 » Tue Nov 23, 639249 6:47 am

Wow. You know I never really thought of this ither. I'm getting to the 3rd tri as well and I'm most likely having a c section. I'd like to know what to all bring along. Iv had to pack many hospital bags for myself and husband when I was sick last time but I didn't get to pack a hospital bag with babys stuff!!

frogibe

Never thought about this....

Postby frogibe » Tue Nov 23, 639249 3:23 am

Maybe some of you ladies can help....
I was wondering what you should pack in your bag for the hospital. I would like to slowly start getting things together. I know I hopefully have time but I am just trying to be prepared now that I am heading into the 3rd trimester. Maybe it will ward off the bad PE spirits too.;0) I will be having a repeat c-section, if that helps with what to pack...
Jennifer(30) Chronic Hypertensive
mommy to Kelsie born 1-10-10 from severe pre-e and HELLP at 28wks.
grew her wings on 2-14-10 due to NEC.
and to Josephine born 8-4-11 at 35wks. due to low amniotic fluid, but PE and HELLP FREE!!!! I kicked PRE-E in the behind!!!!!
Surprise! We added a third baby girl, Amelia born on 4-26-2013 at 36.4 wks. via scheduled c-section. PRE-free!

Return to “Pregnant Again?”