When do you start Lovenox?

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
jean

Re: When do you start Lovenox?

Postby jean » Wed Jun 08, 2011 01:22 pm

jenndola, since you were on lovenox and had to have an emergency c-sec did you have any problems w/bleeding?
Our first son was born and passed in Feb of 2010. Born at 29 weeks due to HELLP and passed due to NEC. We miss him every day. :~(

Our second son was born at 39 weeks gestation in Nov of 2011. No HELLP or pre-e! Took LDA starting at week 12 and went off of it at week 38!

http://findingtherainbowconnection.blogspot.com/

marialynn242

Postby marialynn242 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:09 am

Thanks for the posts everyone I too belived medication can cure everything its to scary to think that it wont. Im sorry for everyones ups and downs and I nver knew how heartbreaking it was to lose a child (although I was only 12 weeks).

flori

Postby flori » Tue Jun 07, 2011 05:01 am

I remember the thread Jasmin mentioned. I wasn't around back then, but it was one of the many that I read before I signed up and was just a lurker. I'm going to dig it up and see if we can get more updates added to it.

Jenndola, you posted recently about your pregnancies in another thread and as scary as it was for me to read, it was a definite wake-up call. Husband and I are positive we want to try again and I'd say about 80% of the time I am absolutely certain that what happened with Gracie won't happen again. I have myself convinced that if I'm taking medication, everything will be okay the next time. Thank you helping keep me level.
Flori, 30
Mommy to Gracie- born at 25 weeks 03/15/11, 11 inches, 1.1lbs, and absolutely beautiful. Became my sweet angel the next day.

jenndola
Forum Moderator

Postby jenndola » Tue Jun 07, 2011 01:16 am

Jasmin, I'm too lazy to go back and find the thread where you asked for negative outcomes with intervention, but thought I'd share - I developed HELLP Syndrome in my second pregnancy at 19.5 weeks while on therapeutic levels of Lovenox. (I also miscarried at 14 weeks (my first pregnancy) and 6 weeks (my third) while on Lovenox.)

In my fourth pregnancy (my first successful pregnancy) I used unfractionated heparin (lousy insurance), Plaquenil, and an experimental medication, and had PPROM at 31.5 weeks. I consider that a success, but the interesting thing is I delivered on a Saturday, and on Monday the labs they'd drawn at my last appointment came back with elevated liver enzymes, so we don't know what would've happened if I'd stayed pregnant.

My fifth pregnancy was treated with Lovenox as well as Plaquenil and the experimental med, and I developed mild hypertension at 29 weeks. My doctor asked me to stop working to reduce stress - I called and made the arrangements - and that night I did the whole PPROM thing again. After I was discharged, I was rehospitalized with postpartum PE.

So while I believe the medications are certainly necessary for me (I have antiphospholipid syndrome, which manifested with a cerebral venous thrombosis before I ever attempted pregnancy), they aren't a magical treatment by any means. I wish they were - it would've saved me a whole lot of heartbreak.

I worry when women get their hopes up about medications fixing everything. Even in some very clear cases of underlying disorders, that isn't always the case. Pregnancy is a complex and amazing process, and our bodies do some truly unexpected things.

Just my thoughts from the many years I've spent on this road. :)
So I have this silly thing called Antiphospholipid Syndrome, which led to a blood clot in my brain, a miscarriage at 14 weeks,
HELLP Syndrome at 19.5 weeks, and a miscarriage at 6 weeks.

Pregnancies 4 & 5 produced two sons. Hooray!
Big G, born at 31.5 weeks in 2005
Little G, born at 29 weeks in 2008

riehlism

Postby riehlism » Mon Jun 06, 2011 07:56 pm

I realized that after I posted it. I was using my old Blackberry to look through the thread. I really need to get a new phone. When I read it on the phone it said:

"I started LDA at 12 wks" followed immediately by your signature. There was no dividing line like it does when you look through a computer (or through a phone that's not obsolete). I got it squared away!
Jasmin: Severe PE/HELLP and delivered at 24+6 & PCOS (29) Hubby Bubby, Frank (29)
Baby Blue stopped in to say hello and goodbye on 6/3/10
Baby Lucas was born on 10/13/11, PE and HELLP-free! Thank you baby aspirin and Lovenox
http://www.ehd.org/pregnancy-calendar.php?id=18192

jean

Postby jean » Mon Jun 06, 2011 06:11 pm

I had HELLP w/my son. (my first pg) Now I'm in my 2nd pg and my peri had me start LDA at 12 weeks. :)
Our first son was born and passed in Feb of 2010. Born at 29 weeks due to HELLP and passed due to NEC. We miss him every day. :~(

Our second son was born at 39 weeks gestation in Nov of 2011. No HELLP or pre-e! Took LDA starting at week 12 and went off of it at week 38!

riehlism

Postby riehlism » Mon Jun 06, 2011 05:10 pm

Wow Jean, did I read that right? You started LDA and you still had HELLP? Or did you mean you had HELLP and you started LDA with #2?

A while back I posted a question asking ladies to share not-so-great stories despite using LDA, Lovenox, or some other intervention.
Jasmin: Severe PE/HELLP and delivered at 24+6 & PCOS (29) Hubby Bubby, Frank (29)
Baby Lucas was born on 10/13/11, PE and HELLP-free! Thank you baby aspirin and Lovenox

jean

Postby jean » Mon Jun 06, 2011 03:32 pm

I started LDA at 12 wks

uncskristy

Postby uncskristy » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:26 am

LDA as soon as I got a positive and lovenox after we confirmed a heartbeat at 6 weeks
Kristy
Mommy of Three Boys- Davis 10/4/2007(No PE, overbaked at 40wks, 2 days),
Cooper 5/20/2010-5/21/2010 (born too early at 24wks, 2 days due to severe PE) and
Blaine 10/11/11 (35wks, 6 days, mild but quick moving PE)
Wife to Matthew since 6/11/2005

riehlism

Postby riehlism » Sat Jun 04, 2011 08:27 pm

I was on LDA while TTC. I started Lovenox at around 13 weeks, because that's when I was able to see my MFM. I saw my OB at about 6 weeks (?), and he wanted me on Lovenox but deferred the final decision to my MFM. When I saw my MFM he had me start on Lovenox. I will likely be on it until delivery.

Return to “Pregnant Again?”