Anyone on metoprolol?

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
bernadic

Re: Anyone on metoprolol?

Postby bernadic » Wed May 04, 2011 04:01 pm

Alexis, I went through IF for almost 2 years with 2 different RE and both were good with me being on Metoprolol. Changing it to something else was never mentioned if I ever became pregnant. Unfortunately nothing worked and we didn't try IVF for many reasons so I don't know the answer of being on it while pregnant. Good luck.

alexis
Forum Moderator

Postby alexis » Wed May 04, 2011 07:38 am

I've been on it for 2.5 years now (my current internist wants me an on ACE inhibitor long term as I'm prediabetic, but kept me on a beta blocker because I was doing IF treatment) so I'm pretty familiar with it now. I just don't know anyone who's used it in pregnancy. I trust MFM that it's safe enough, but I'm still a little nervous.
Chronic hypertension
Aliza - 01/05/2007 - Severe preeclampsia, emergency CS 37 weeks
Isaac - 09/26/2011 - controlled on 150mg Toprol, NO PE, 39 weeks!

bernadic

Postby bernadic » Tue May 03, 2011 08:10 pm

I was on labatelol while pregnant and up to 2 months after delivery. I was then switched to metoprolol. I am still on it 4 years later. My dr said it was safe for nursing too. From what I remember, he said they are in the same class of drugs. Labatelol was not extended release so you have to take it a few times a day. Metoprolol is an extended release so you can take it one time a day and it stays in your system 24 hours. Your pharmacist could help you answer the question too. Good luck.

alexis
Forum Moderator

Anyone on metoprolol?

Postby alexis » Tue May 03, 2011 02:04 pm

I'm 18 weeks pregnant and on Toprol XL 150mg. I was on 200mg but they had to lower my dose (not surprising--I was controlled to 115/75 pre-preg, so I didn't have to drop too much to get low.) When I had my preconception consult with MFM, they told me to stay on it--no reason for me to switch.

I had severe preeclampsia in 2007 at ~37 weeks (poorly monitored that pregnancy--BP was up to 160/100 2 weeks before diagnosis)--my BP improved post-delivery but got worse and worse afterward and I wound up on meds. By the time I finally got medicated I was getting BPs around 165/105, and I've had to have my meds adjusted upwards since diagnosis.

I'm curious how it went for anyone else--I don't know anyone who's been on it, and I couldn't find much information on using it in pregnancy. I know one person who did atenolol, but most people I know were on labetalol. I had my meds adjusted around 9 weeks and it's gone up slightly since. Still absolutely 100% normal, but it's gone from low normal to bang-on 120/80 or a little below.
Chronic hypertension
Aliza - 01/05/2007 - Severe preeclampsia, emergency CS 37 weeks
Isaac - 09/26/2011 - controlled on 150mg Toprol, NO PE, 39 weeks!

Return to “Pregnant Again?”