Steriod shot reactions

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
jennashell

Re: Steriod shot reactions

Postby jennashell » Wed Mar 02, 2011 03:05 pm

Nope, I didn't have them the first two times. The first time was an emergency, general anesthesia, non stop seizures etc. The second time I made it to 35 +6 and the baby's lungs were fine :)

I should have a while for delivery though, I'm not having any symptoms yet :) I am glad to hear that one shot is better than none! Thanks!!
Severe eclamptic seizures in the car-no pe diagnosis previously- at 28 weeks. Emergency c section baby born at 2 lb 11 oz. He's now 5 years old!

Pre E with #2 at 32 weeks, emergency c-section at 35 weeks, baby born at 3lb 9oz. She's now 2 1/2!

#3 Pre-E free! Planned c section at 37 1/2 weeks! 1 week in nicu due to breathing and antibiotic treatment.

mandy1227

Postby mandy1227 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 02:51 pm

I am wishing you the best and hope you can wait longer for delivery. I had a baby at 29 weeks and 2 days in 2006. When I got the steroid injections, I did not have any reactions to it, however I'm fairly certain the physician said one shot was better than none. One of these days I hope to have another baby. I have waited partly out of fear, but also because we were not at a place to be ready. After reading some very inspiring stories here the last few years though I hope I have the courage to do it again. I would love to have another baby. Good luck to you.
Mandy

angieb

Postby angieb » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:36 am

Interesting! I guess you didn't have them the first time around?

I think one shot is better than none, and better to get it, even earlier than necessary, than not at all, too. It seems doctors have such widely varying opinions on this, I know some that aren't doing them at all for high risk women until/unless trouble starts. I'm hoping I can get my MFM to give them at 32-34 weeks for "just in case" (I already know she'll give them if there starts to be any trouble). I guess there's no real consensus on a protocol.
Me (29) DH (30)
#1-Olivia Caetlyn-9-28-09-9-28-09, 23+2 wks, emergency classic c-section, class I HELLP, IUGR
#2- Lucas Oliver (rainbow baby)- April 2011, 36+2 wks, HELLP and pre-e free! (lovenox and LDA pregnancy)
#3-Matthew, late October 2012...mostly normal, 37 wks, (lovenox and LDA again)
My blog: http://www.butterflies-and-rainbows.blogspot.com/

jennashell

Postby jennashell » Wed Mar 02, 2011 08:42 am

Thanks for the replies. I have no underlying disorders, or any other issues just yet. We live way out in the country, and the doc suggest all high risk women get them at 28 weeks. With #1, and #2 even when I showed signs, they never gave me the shot, so I thought it was a good idea to get the shot. Then, after the bad reaction, the one doctor told me that the steriod shots had never been proven to help anyway. Umm...that didn't sound right to me.

But, I'm still thankful I'm not having any pe symptoms so far, and I am now a little over 29 weeks :)

mrss-what an awful reaction! I'm so sorry you that happened!! It makes me feel much better about my reaction, as after a few days I'm now back to normal.
Severe eclamptic seizures in the car-no pe diagnosis previously- at 28 weeks. Emergency c section baby born at 2 lb 11 oz. He's now 5 years old!

Pre E with #2 at 32 weeks, emergency c-section at 35 weeks, baby born at 3lb 9oz. She's now 2 1/2!

#3 Pre-E free! Planned c section at 37 1/2 weeks! 1 week in nicu due to breathing and antibiotic treatment.

mrss

Postby mrss » Tue Mar 01, 2011 05:14 pm

I had a bad reaction to the shots. It's very uncommon. To the best of everyone's guess/understanding, I had a dormant virus in my system. The combination of funky autoimmune issues (pregnancy & pre-e) combined with the steroids let the virus create havoc. It damaged the motor nerves in my right arm and I lost the use of my arm for about 6 weeks until the nerves grew back.
Michelle (38)
DH (50)
Adam 6/10/06 at 37w2d, 5 lbs. 12 oz.
Julianne 10/4/10 at 35w5d, 5 lbs. 5 oz.

rebecca2

Postby rebecca2 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:54 pm

Wow, that sucks. I'm really surprised they gave them to you already before you are showing any symptoms (unless there's something else you didn't mention?) The shots are a lot more effective when they are given the same week as delivery, though I can understand why they want you to get them! I hope you feel better.
Both of my previous pregnancies were delivered prematurely, so I was (am) hoping to get the shots just in case it happens again. I talked to my MFM last week about getting them "just in case" and he basically said the same thing Angie just mentioned. He did say we could discuss it again as the pregnancy progresses, since there doesn't appear to be any significant risks associated with the shots. So, no, I don't think not getting the 2nd shot will hurt your baby, since it doesn't sound like you're showing any symptoms or need to deliver anytime soon.
Becky
Mom to...
baby girl Addison 3/11/09-3/11/09 (severe preeclampsia 26w5d)
baby boy Aden 5/25/10 (35w6d low amniotic fluid)
baby boy #2 due 7/4/11

angieb

Postby angieb » Sat Feb 26, 2011 06:14 pm

Wow, that sucks. I'm really surprised they gave them to you already before you are showing any symptoms (unless there's something else you didn't mention?) The shots are a lot more effective when they are given the same week as delivery, though I can understand why they want you to get them! I hope you feel better.
Me (29) DH (30)
#1-Olivia Caetlyn-9-28-09-9-28-09, 23+2 wks, emergency classic c-section, class I HELLP, IUGR
#2- Lucas Oliver (rainbow baby)- April 2011, 36+2 wks, HELLP and pre-e free! (lovenox and LDA pregnancy)
#3-Matthew, late October 2012...mostly normal, 37 wks, (lovenox and LDA again)
My blog: http://www.butterflies-and-rainbows.blogspot.com/

jennashell

Steriod shot reactions

Postby jennashell » Sat Feb 26, 2011 09:12 am

So, I've made it to 28 1/2 weeks and due to the other 2 pregancy the docs decided to give me the steriod shots just in case. We were told that there were no side effects........so......I went in and got a shot to the haunch :).........a few hours later I swelled up like crazy and started having hives from my face all the way down to my feet. We had to call the hospital etc. etc. They were really suprised I had a bad reaction. I've never had hives before or anything. They said it was too dangerous to give me a second shot.

Anyone else have this happen? Will it hurt the baby not to have the second shot?

So far my bp was crazy good 104/64 (which is unbelieveable, by now it's usually around 130/90), no protein, no swelling. Hoping I can make it far enough to not have needed the shot.

Return to “Pregnant Again?”