Severe preeclampsia at 30 weeks

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
Registered User
Posts: 1195
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 01:38 am

Re: Severe preeclampsia at 30 weeks

Postby angieb » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:04 am

The hand of god indeed! I'm glad it turned out "okay" but I don't blame your husband for being traumatized (or you for that matter.) I'm so glad they were able to get the baby out in time and that his poor leg was okay and that he is doing well. Sending you and baby Oliver prayers that you'll both be healthy and home soon!
Me (29) DH (30)
#1-Olivia Caetlyn-9-28-09-9-28-09, 23+2 wks, emergency classic c-section, class I HELLP, IUGR
#2- Lucas Oliver (rainbow baby)- April 2011, 36+2 wks, HELLP and pre-e free! (lovenox and LDA pregnancy)
#3-Matthew, late October 2012...mostly normal, 37 wks, (lovenox and LDA again)
My blog:

User avatar
Registered User
Posts: 1746
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 02:46 pm
Location: Illinois

Re: Severe preeclampsia at 30 weeks

Postby l412angel » Wed Feb 23, 2011 09:11 am

How scary!!! I am so glad Oliver is doing well! I hope you get better soon! I will be praying for you and Oliver!!!
Laura Angel (Factor V Leiden)
Mommy to Cara Angel 2LBS 11OZ 16 IN. Born at 30 weeks due to Severe PE & HELLP.
"My life went with you sweetheart the day angels called you home"

Our Rainbow Baby Carter born March 5 2011 7lbs 7oz 20.5in 36 weeks 4days PE FREE

Baby #3 due June 2012

User avatar
Registered User
Posts: 550
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2006 06:53 pm

Severe preeclampsia at 30 weeks

Postby leftcoastgirl » Wed Feb 23, 2011 08:31 am

Well she reared her ugly head again. I developed severe preeclampsia last Tuesday 2/15 and was admitted. My initial labs were not that bad (liver/kidneys etc) and my BP was only 128/80 when I was admitted, but my amniotic fluid dropped two weeks in a row, and they wanted me to be monitored and do more labs while I was an inpatient. I can't thank God enough for their decision to do this.

My 24 hour urine came back slightly elevated at 300, nothing too scary, but due to my history, they were going to watch me for a few more days and make a decision by Friday whether to manage me as an outpatient or admitting me to the hospital. I had started to get more increases in BPs (160/85 range) and the amniotic fluid was not improving, despite my attempts to "rehydrate myself" like crazy and IV fluids.

I was only hooked up to the fetal monitor for one hour, every 6 hours and the baby was looking good, nice reactive strips, just looked fine. My doc had come in to see me around 8 am. She reviewed my last one hour strip which was at 4-5 am, and there were a few decels, again nothing terribly concerning, but enough that she wanted me to be hooked back up to the fetal monitor for continuous monitoring. As soon as I was hooked back up, baby started dropping his heartrate to the 100 range, 80 range and he was staying there for longer periods before coming back up. She had me reposition and told my nurse to increase my IV fluid rate to try to see if any of that would make a difference, and she asked for her level 2 machine to be wheeled in right away. At that point my IV had gone bad (the fluid just stopped infusing right on the spot, and i'm a VERY VERY difficult IV start...anesthesiology usually has to start mine, and even they have a hard time.) Baby's heartrate continued to go down, despite our efforts and the ultrasound confirmed that yes his heartrate was dropping. She had me turn in bed once more. I felt a VERY uncomfortable cramping sensation across my uterus that in four pregnancies i've never felt before. His heartrate was at 60 and not coming back up. I had NO IV access and my doctor said we need to get to the OR immediately and we had minutes to get him out. Anesthesiology had been paged when my IV initially had gone out a few minutes prior and she walked in the room and PRAISE GOD she got the IV in on the first try (I was praying so hard and terrified at this point). They had me out of my OB room and into the OR down the hall in minutes, and I was put under general anesthesia...the doctor had the baby out in less than a minute. His heartrate was 40, he was pale and not breathing. Apgars were 1,4,8. He turned around quickly, thank GOD!!!! Oliver Isaac was born at 30 weeks 3 days and weighed 3 lb. 1 oz. He will be a week old tomorrow and he is doing AMAZING. I could not be happier and more thankful to God that he is alive and ok. Had I not abrupted with my doctor RIGHT THERE on the bed watching the baby on ultrasound he would not be here. It was a full 100% abruption, and my doc said when she opened me up, the placenta just fell off the uterus and I had a huge 1 liter clot on the placenta. I am still teary talking about this and he is simply a miracle. Because the c/section was so urgent his leg was cut on the way out and he had to have a surgical consult and they stitched it back closed (one little stitch) and he got a scalpel abrasion along the side of his chest/abdominal area too.

Now on to me. Things got way worse. My labs started to get worse, my platelets dropped very low and my blood pressures started getting higher and higher. Every day that went on, I was more sick. I then became infected (uterine infection) and spiked a fever - there was no time to prep me for the surgery, obviously. They had to give me 3 very strong antibiotics and it still was not working. They increased my dose and again, I couldn't get my fever down. Then I had to have two blood transfusions, I was absolutely wiped out and terribly anemic from all the blood loss (mind you I was on blood thinners too). I am STILL in the hospital, going on day 9. My veins are shot, I lost my IV last night after two restarts and NO veins left, so today I have to get a midline IV put in (deeper IV that goes into the arm) so I can finish up my IV antibiotics. I'm not sure when i'll be able to go home. My BP meds have been doubled and i'm still getting some high readings, they want to make sure i'm under control before I go home, and that this infection is cleared up.

My baby is in the NICU where I work (i'm a NICU nurse) and I am so thankful he is doing as well as he is. I have been too sick to really have much in the way of visitors, but I have been able to wheel over to the NICU and hold the baby. He is so tiny and perfect and amazing. I am overwhelmed with thankfulness that he is here. The three MFMs in my practice that have been seeing me all week keep telling me how amazingly lucky I was how things unfolded the way they did. I feel like I have seen the hand of God this week. I am having some serious PTSD issues (this is my 3rd severe pre-e pregnancy) and hoping to start some zoloft today, sleeping at night has been hard, I keep having terrible dreams and waking up really scared, and having a hard time relaxing. My poor husband was really tramatized by all this, as this is his first experience with a preemie, and the 10 years we've been together I have never seen him this upset and scared.

Having my baby in the NICU where I work has been strange (being the parent instead of the nurse) but I know he is in GOOD hands and has lots of "aunties" who are taking wonderful care of him. He was on CPAP for just a few days, and now he is on a heated high flow cannula (it is similar to a regular nasal cannula but has a bit more of a CPAP effect) and he's breathing room air not on any oxygen. It has been so helpful to me that HE is doing great. He is getting breastmilk through his feeding tube (I think he is taking about 15 mL every 3 hours, and tolerating it great) and I have been producing milk since day 1. I think I already have 20 or more bottles of milk in the freezer for him! Usually my milk takes 4 days to even come IN after I have a c/section and mine seemed to come in right away. I love just holding him and looking at him, he looks just like my 3 year old, blonde hair and all. :)

I am waiting to see what the plan for today is as far as my care is concerned. I'm still having blurry vision (but was determined to type this out finally) but last night I got GOOD sleep, which I so, so desperately needed and i'm feeling like things are turning the corner now and hopefully I can be out of here in a day or two. We will see what she says.

Thank goodness my best friend has been staying at my house with my 3 year old with her boys and he is having so much fun with them that he barely misses me at all (which makes me feel good to know he is having fun).

Please keep baby Oliver in your prayers! Here is a photo of him at a few days old: ... oto-52.jpg
I'm 37, DH is 45 - pregnant with #4 (surprise baby)
DD, 26 weeker - 16, 1 lb. 8 oz. severe pre-e
DS, 29 weeker - 13, 2 lb. 2 oz. severe pre-e
DS - 3 FULL TERM, no pre-e (lovenox, baby aspirin pregnancy, I have Factor V Leiden)
Due 4/25/11 ~ Oliver Isaac due to arrive 4/8 via scheduled c/s
Busy mommy and NICU nurse living in beautiful Oregon

Return to “Pregnant Again?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 19 guests