PIH and Preeclampsia what's the difference

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
angieb

Re: PIH and Preeclampsia what's the difference

Postby angieb » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:51 am

high bp before 20 weeks is *usually* chronic hypertension.
high bp after 20 weeks is Pregnancy induced hyptension
high bp after 20 plus 300 mg of protein in your urine in a 24 hr catch is preeclampsia.

I think it would be a good idea for them to do some labs on you including a 24 hr urine. If you have any other symptoms like headache, or urq pain, or feeling very icky, I'd think you should call you're doctors office and let them know.
Everything Brandi said. You should definitely be doing regular 24 hour urines with that amount of weight gain. (Protein in urine is from kidneys spilling protein, it won't always be detected or accurate in "pee in a cup" office tests because the level of protein you spill throughout a day is not always consistent throughout the day, you might not be spilling any at the doctor but a few hours later be spilling a ton.) I *think* that excessive swelling (which may show itself as unusual weight gain) is also linked with the kidneys not working properly/spilling protein.
Me (29) DH (30)
#1-Olivia Caetlyn-9-28-09-9-28-09, 23+2 wks, emergency classic c-section, class I HELLP, IUGR
#2- Lucas Oliver (rainbow baby)- April 2011, 36+2 wks, HELLP and pre-e free! (lovenox and LDA pregnancy)
#3-Matthew, late October 2012...mostly normal, 37 wks, (lovenox and LDA again)
My blog: http://www.butterflies-and-rainbows.blogspot.com/

jamilyn

Postby jamilyn » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:45 am

I would say with that much weight gain you should do a 24 hour urine. PIH is just high BP and it goes into PE when you get a number over 300 in your 24 hour urine collection along with your BP.
Jamilyn
Mommys Angel - Dallin : October 9 - 16, born at 27 weeks due to Eclamptic Seizure and HELLP
Miracle Boy - Stratton : April 27, born at 35 weeks due to Pre-Eclampsia, 11 days in the NICU
Mommys 2nd Angel - Anthon : Born into the Arms of Angels on November 12, at 25 weeks gestation due to a Complete Placental Abruption. Diagnosed with HELLP & Severe Pre-Eclampsia

www.2angelsandamiracle.blogspot.com
www.laneeslegacy.blogspot.com

brandib

Postby brandib » Thu Feb 10, 2011 05:26 pm

high bp before 20 weeks is *usually* chronic hypertension.
high bp after 20 weeks is Pregnancy induced hyptension
high bp after 20 plus 300 mg of protein in your urine in a 24 hr catch is preeclampsia.

I think it would be a good idea for them to do some labs on you including a 24 hr urine. If you have any other symptoms like headache, or urq pain, or feeling very icky, I'd think you should call you're doctors office and let them know.

preemomof2

Postby preemomof2 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:47 am

If BP is high before the 20 weeks, then the doctors will diagnosis you as having PIH. If the BP rises after 20 weeks, and you have other factors such as protein in urine and swelling then the doctors start to consider PE. If you gained 4 pounds in 5 days then you should give the doctor a call. Swelling is normal in pregnancy to some degree. However, 4 pounds in 5days seems extreme.

kce001

PIH and Preeclampsia what's the difference

Postby kce001 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 09:16 am

I am curious to find out what the difference is between PIH and Pre-E if any. I had preeclampsia with my first son and was on bed rest before delivering at 38 weeks. With my second pregnacy I had high blood pressure beginning at 28 weeks and was told I had PIH. I was on aldomet until I delivered at 38 weeks and never had any protine. I am now pregnant with my third at 30 weeks and my OB has been watching me very close with weekly visits since 26 weeks. No protine noticed yet but BP has been as high as 155/90. I am also beginning to have large weight gains of 4 pounds in 5 days. My OB is not really talking too much just says he is keeping an eye on things. Is the spiked BP's and increased weight gain a sign of preeclampsia and is there anything I can do at home to keep this at bay?

Return to “Pregnant Again?”