Chronic hypertensives: which bp meds?

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
frogibe

Re: Chronic hypertensives: which bp meds?

Postby frogibe » Mon Jun 19, 639234 12:32 pm

I am currently 7.5 weeks pregnant and taking 100mg once daily of Labatelol. I think it works ok now my BP runs around on average 120/60, it I am lucky lower sometimes. I know they mentioned the possibility of uping the dosage as I get further along as needed.
Jennifer(30) Chronic Hypertensive
mommy to Kelsie born 1-10-10 from severe pre-e and HELLP at 28wks.
grew her wings on 2-14-10 due to NEC.
and to Josephine born 8-4-11 at 35wks. due to low amniotic fluid, but PE and HELLP FREE!!!! I kicked PRE-E in the behind!!!!!
Surprise! We added a third baby girl, Amelia born on 4-26-2013 at 36.4 wks. via scheduled c-section. PRE-free!

christina89

Postby christina89 » Thu Jun 08, 639234 12:28 pm

Awh, my first post didnt work. Lets try this again. I am cronic and currantly 5 weeks pregnant and taking Labatolol 50mg 2 times a day. it's working well for me and I really hope it stays that way for at least another 30 weeks :) Any how because I have no underlying conditions other than the BP, my dr. thinks theres a chance it's a good thing we got it under control and stuff I sure hope so, I have a question about BP monitors. I am now doing at home. im pretty new to this and the first time I always get a little bit of a high number not terribly but if I try again it always goes down to a comfortable number. Do I go by this number? or the first one? Also if I test it in certian ways of holding my arm. like lying doen with my are by my side or straight up or me sitting on a chair with my arm level with my shoulder or sitting on a chair with my arm just hanging there. lol I have had some time on my hands lol. BUt should I go by the lowest number i can get or is there a better way lol, please help.

celticepona

Postby celticepona » Thu Jun 08, 639234 3:20 am

Im on Aldomet 500mg x3 a day. That seems to work for me now.When Im not preggers I am on aldomet.
Amy. DH Rich.
Emily born 04/01/04 @ 37 weeks. 5.bs 15 oz. Severe PE. Strict leftside bedrest 3 weeks before delivery, 2 weeks postpartum. Postpartum PE.
Isabelle born 04/19/08 @ 37 weeks. 6lbs 9 oz. PE. Under care of high risk peri and bp meds throughout preg.
IT'S A GIRL! Faith Michelle" due 06/18/11. Under care of high risk peri. On Aldomet for bps and antinausea meds.

carlisle980

Chronic hypertensives: which bp meds?

Postby carlisle980 » Mon Apr 10, 639234 9:48 pm

Interested in which bp meds my fellow chronics take. I started out on Aldomet 250 pre-children. I believe that remained my dosage throughout pregnancy w/DD. Had some hairy BP's after her birth and labetalol was added, but dropped after just a few days (because it gave me unbearable headaches) in favor of Procardia XL 30.

Can't remember exactly when, but at some point Procardia XL was increased to 60 mg. Discontinued Aldomet after a while because it was no longer needed. Pregnant with DS, I took Procardia XL 60 and added Aldomet 500 at some point. In week 35 my BP spiked and Procardia was increased to 90 mg.

Currently taking Procardia XL 90, which results in BP's of 115-125/65-85. Lying on my left side, BP is usually 89-105/55-65. BP's in the doctor's office are another story entirely . . . usually 140's/90's because I have serious white-coat issues. But I keep a log of my BP's several times/week at home and have them put a photocopy in my chart at each visit to prove that my BP is much lower when I'm not under duress!
~Carley (30, Idiopathic Chronic Hypertension)
Mama to Caitrin Emily (born 9/21/07 at 35.5 - premature labor, birthweight 5 lbs 15 oz, take-home baby)
& Collin Burton (born 11/13/09 at 36.1 - premature labor, birthweight 6 lbs 7 oz, take-home baby)
expecting #3 in Sept. 2011 (expecting not to carry past late August 2011)

Return to “Pregnant Again?”