Newbie here

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
christina89

Re: Newbie here

Postby christina89 » Sun Jun 18, 639234 11:24 am

Hello,I to am Cronic. I am on my second pregnancy, I am terrified. I am 5 weeks and due Sept 22nd. Although if everything stays well untill 32 weeks I will be induced at 32 weeks or 35 depending on my bps. With my son I develped PE at 20 weeks. I got really sick really fast and bp meds didnt help my blood pressure much at all. I delivered a beautiful angel baby at 23 weeks. I know what it feels like to be scared and the dredful hospital stays. but I feel confident this time if I can make it past the miscarrage stage that we will do just fine this time. I pray all of you get farther with less complications this time. I also think it's horrible that there is no cure for this yet and cant wait for the day there is one. Although that will likly be after Im done have children. As I fear this will be my last pregnacy. So much for getting 3 babies...... evil PE ruined my plans.

carlisle980

Postby carlisle980 » Sun Apr 09, 639234 8:48 pm

Hi Jamie! I'm so sorry to hear about your troubles with DD2 and the pregnancy so far this time. I cannot imagine being on bedrest with 2 young kids . . . how do you do it? Must admit that's another fear that I have. I was really loving the way life was going. Was taking my guys out to do fun things a couple times a week, finally making progress on renovating my house, figuring out meals that everyone will eat (no more separate dinners for the kids and adults). Now I feel like I'm going to be robbed of all that.

DH and I are going to try to talk my docs into checking for lung maturity if I reach week 35 without incident and if all is well, delivering then, before I get to crisis point (since we've had 2 perfect 35-week babies). So terribly frustrating that there is "nothing" they can do to prevent this in 2011, when we can transplant faces and bring cancer patients back from the brink of death.
~Carley (30, Idiopathic Chronic Hypertension)
Mama to Caitrin Emily (born 9/21/07 at 35.5 - premature labor, birthweight 5 lbs 15 oz, take-home baby)
& Collin Burton (born 11/13/09 at 36.1 - premature labor, birthweight 6 lbs 7 oz, take-home baby)
expecting #3 in Sept. 2011 (expecting not to carry past late August 2011)

jamie w

Postby jamie w » Thu Mar 30, 639234 6:55 pm

Welcome! I too am pregnant with my 3rd. Like you, this was an unexpected pregnancy. My first pregnancy was pretty normal until I developed PIH/PE just a few days prior to a spontaneous delivery at 37 weeks. She was healthy and although I got Mag for 12 hours, we both came home the next day. My second pregnancy was a nightmare. I developed PE at 24 weeks and due to a Dr who was in over his head I was not induced until 38 weeks. I was on bedrest all of that time with most of it being in the hospital. I got 24 hours of mag with her and we both came home (supposedly healthy) 2 days later. As you can see from my signature she was not fine. My b/p never went back to normal. I was well contolled on lisinopril though. Then I got pregnant and had to go off of it. I was started on labatelol but switched to Procardia at 20 weeks when it was clear the labatelol wasn't working. I have been off work since 20 weeks due to my b/p. I am 30 weeks today and have been on bedrest for awhile now. My Dr plans to deliver me at 32 weeks unless things stabilize more. Luckily I have not developed PE yet. There are a lot of chronics that do much better than I have. I am not good at being pregnant. I wish you the best and hope for an uneventful pregnancy for you!
Jamie
DD Carly 7-1-04 PE at 37 weeks (6 lbs 9 oz)
DD Anna 12-3-07 PE at 24 weeks and delivered at 38 weeks after 13 weeks bedrest, gestational diabetes, and oligo. This sweet baby has cerebral palsy and epilepsy thanks to my dear friend PE (5 lbs 15 oz)
DS Gabe 2-24-11 at 35 weeks for chronic HTN with superimposed PIH (5 lb 13 oz) 18 NICU days
http://www.ourlifeinholland.blogspot.com

carlisle980

Newbie here

Postby carlisle980 » Thu Mar 30, 639234 10:52 am

Hello all. I'm brand-new here and looking for support. I'm Carley, age 30, from Glen Burnie, MD. I have chronic hypertension. Both my parents and all of my grandparents and great-grandparents have it as well. I'm a mom of two amazing kids. DD Caitrin is 3 and DS Collin is 14 months. DH Sean and I will be married 10 years this May. We have a baby, so we weren't trying for another just yet, but I just found out I'm pregnant again. I want to be as thrilled as I was with my first two, but instead I'm scared to death.

It's not that I've had traumatic birth experiences. I am blessed that, though I've gone into labor during week 35 both times, I've had vaginal deliveries of two perfectly healthy take-home babies and been able to talk my OB into releasing me 24 hours after both were born. I guess I'm just terrified that I won't dodge the bullet this time. I took BP meds faithfully every day during both pregnancies, but still started spiking in week 35 (140's/high 90's in labor with DD; 160's/100's when I went into L&D with DS). The first time they just sent me home with a second medication; the second they gave me IV hydralazine while they were waiting for me to dilate. After both kids, it took about 6 weeks for my BP to settle back to "normal" for me.

I can't find the excitement this time because I'm terrified of the hospital experience. DH tells me the odds favor another outcome nearly identical to my first two, and I wish I could believe him. The threat of mag sulfate scares me more than anything. Has anyone had it and still been able to go home the next day? Having been through the experience twice without having it should ease my fears, and yet it doesn't. I despise the hospital. So many girlfriends have had home births and I am angry that I'll never get to have that option and it's not due to anything I can control.

Anyone else like me out there? I want to be thrilled about this, likely our last baby, and instead I'm in denial.
~Carley (30, Idiopathic Chronic Hypertension)
Mama to Caitrin Emily (born 9/21/07 at 35.5 - premature labor, birthweight 5 lbs 15 oz, take-home baby)
& Collin Burton (born 11/13/09 at 36.1 - premature labor, birthweight 6 lbs 7 oz, take-home baby)
expecting #3 in Sept. 2011 (expecting not to carry past late August 2011)

Return to “Pregnant Again?”