Had my baby - and ? about postpartum preeclampsia

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
gwenethaowens@hotmail.com

Re: Had my baby - and ? about postpartum preeclampsia

Postby gwenethaowens@hotmail.com » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:11 am

I just got released from the hospital with postpartum preeclampsia. We caught it about a week after delivery. From what I understand, postpartum preeclampsia can occur up to six weeks after you have the baby. I too had a totally normal delivery (better than my first too!) with normal blood pressures throghout my pregnancy and the delivery.

It was after the delivery that I noticed that I had not lost 1 pound of weight. I thought that was strange.... and it was! Also I had swelling in my feet and a feeling of chest pressure/tightness and shortness of breath whenever I was at rest (nursing my baby, relaxing on the couch, going to sleep). I DID not have a headache or blurred vision or pain in the abdomen (by the liver). My BP at the hospital was 150-160/85-95... nothing to write home about. It was elevated and that was the only "normal" presenting symptom of preeclampsia.

When I got to the hospital they also found out that I didn't have protein in my urine. All signs pointed to a non-preeclampsia diagnossis. Luckily I have a REALLY sharp OB and she would not back down on the fact that she thought this was postpartum preeclampsia. She got me on the magnesium sulfate IV drip (wow is that nasty stuff!!!) and it fixed me almost immediately! My heartrate went back to normal and I lost over 13 pounds in 2 days of water weight.

The research I have done suggests that preeclampsia will also present weird cardiac symptoms. They are more rare but it happens. My resting heartrate was 37-42 caused slight chest pain and shortness of breath.

Thanks for posting this information. I hope more women and doctors pay attention to this issue. I know for me I'm going to keep an eye out with the next kid I have, and spread this info as much as possible! Thanks!

ilovepie

Re : Had my baby - and ? about postpartum preeclampsia

Postby ilovepie » Thu Oct 07, 2010 01:05 pm

I've been on 2 meds for awhile and they added a 3rd yesterday.

My blood pressure was funky for awhile after my first pregnancy, plus I'm chronic hypertensive.

I just am so difficult to Dx with pree (I spill 7.5g of protein from the kidney disease), so I wondered what the likelihood is a week out...

apd

Postby apd » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:15 am

Congrats on the amazing birth! As PP said, I would call the docs. My presures took about two weeks to go down - they put me on bp meds right after Avery was delivered. I hope everything goes back to normal soon.

l412angel

Postby l412angel » Wed Oct 06, 2010 07:06 pm

VERY possible. I was discharged on a wed and was back in the hospital by Sunday with sky high pressures...that continued to go up and I got sicker by the minute. I would call your doc...see what they suggest

celticepona

Postby celticepona » Wed Oct 06, 2010 05:39 pm

Hi there. I had postpartum PE...or PE that stayed well past its welcome with my first pregnancy. My BP did not go back to normal until I was put on BP meds. My BP was well managed with my second preg but I had scary bp spikes for about two weeks postpartum until I was put on more powerful blood pressure medication postpartum. All I can say from experince is that the first two weeks to month or so postpartum can be tricky with blood pressures and to monitor your bp carefully. I would recommend talking to your doctor about the posibility of taking bp meds if you are not already. Are you retaining fluids? I did so with my second pregancy and found that when my doc put me on a diuretic and got rid of all that extra water it helped my bp to come down. Good luck and keep us updated. :)

babyemsmom

Postby babyemsmom » Wed Oct 06, 2010 05:36 pm

Congrats on having your baby! And no PE! Sorry to hear that your BP is misbehaving now. I am assuming that you've been checking your BP at home? What has it been running? I think the first 48 hours after birth are when the risk is the highest for PP PE, but like you said it can happen for up to six weeks. Have you called your doctor? Maybe they can see you in the office just to make sure that things are going ok. Maybe even give you some BP medicine to keep it controlled for now. I had PP PE and my BP was wacky for several weeks, but I am also chronic. Good luck! Keep us posted on how you are doing.

ilovepie

Had my baby - and ? about postpartum preeclampsia

Postby ilovepie » Wed Oct 06, 2010 05:18 pm

I gave birth to Anders Pierce on September 30th. 39w 5d and NO PREECLAMPSIA DIAGNOSIS. I even got to leave the hospital after just over 24 hours. No IVs. I was only at the hospital less than an hour before he was born. Labor was what I would call easy and delivery was less than 5 minutes (as my doula said, "your water broke, and a baby shot out of you!").

It was amazing, and I am so grateful. My husband is saying things like "this is so easy." We were both so traumatized with our first son's birth - the way it was handled left my husband fearing that either I was going to die and leave him with a newborn or we were both going to die and leave him alone.

So, a joyous and completely NORMAL birth for me!

....and now my blood pressure is up.

I know, for the purposes of preeclampsia, that I'm considered sort of still pregnant for 6 weeks. What is the likelihood of preeclampsia after a few days, though? I know postpartum preeclampsia is just as dangerous as perinatal...but is it as likely 5 or 6 days in as in those first 48 hours?

Return to “Pregnant Again?”