My Story

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
danieal

Re : My Story

Postby danieal » Sun Jan 08, 638936 9:00 am

I will definately look into it. Does mag help with blood pressure or just prevent seizures? At the end of my pregnancy the labetalol and methyladopa did not work. I know there are not many blood pressure medications safe to take during pregnancy but there has to be something that works better for me. Did anyone else take as much blood pressure as me with out it working?

sonja
Forum Moderator

Postby sonja » Wed Aug 12, 638933 5:45 am

The doctor situation is different for everyone. I saw a Peri (same as a MFM) and my regular OB during my second pregnancy - the Peri oversaw my pregnancy, but I didn't see him that often. Some gals just see a MFM, but most see an OB too.

And from what I have always heard about the dip test they can be inaccurate, that the 24 hour test is the only real way to know what your protein level is doing.

breannesmith55

Postby breannesmith55 » Tue Aug 11, 638933 11:32 pm

the dip test isn't always accurate. I had trace amounts in my dip and the dr. sent me home with a 24 hr test. I didn't even make it the 24 hrs before having eclamptic seizures. the tested what urine i had collected starting right when i left the doctors office and it was very high (I dont remember the exact amount)The doctors and L&D continued to dip test my urine sometimes it would be normal, other times +4. so this time please push for a 24 hour for accuracy. The mag did stablize my bp somewhat for about 48 hours before I had to deliver.

I can't believe your bps were that high with no seizures! its still amazing to me the things pre-e can do to people :(. I'm no expert but it seems to me like you had pre-e, were you swollen?? I am still trying to get ahold of all of my medical records, but after I had my son they couldnt stablize my bp and were injecting me with different medications and i remember one of them making my head pound also, and vomit.

At my 6 week checkup after I had my son, my bp returned to 110s/-70s and I was able to go off all medication. As for now, I'm 12 weeks, my bp is creeping into the 130s/80s-90s when it was 90s/60s when I was 5-9 weeks. still not on anything.

Good Luck with those bps, I would definanetly ask for 24 hr samples and mag. keep us updated.

danieal

Postby danieal » Tue Aug 11, 638933 6:36 pm

My OB said that I did not show any traces of protein on the urine test in the office and that my preeclampsia panel bloodwork (?) was normal. I am going to an OB that is considered to be the best in our area, but I don't think that she is a MFM. Do most people have two doctors or just a MFM. I did not receive any mag during my delivery. Once again they said I never had pre-e.

sonja
Forum Moderator

Postby sonja » Tue Aug 11, 638933 6:21 pm

Welcome - you have found the right place! We can all understand your concerns around here.

My first question to you is - do you have an MFM (high risk OB)? It is suggested that anyone who has suffered from pre-e would benefit from a consult with an MFM. I think that the best thing that you can do for yourself after having had a pregnancy with pre-e is to find a great doctor that you really trust and educate yourself about pre-e (this is a great place to do that).

So, you never did a 24 hour urine test during your last pregnancy? So, how does your OB know that you did not have protein in your urine? Your bps were really high - did you receive mag during your delivery?

Best wishes to you - let us know how you are doing and if we can answer any questions for you.

danieal

My Story

Postby danieal » Tue Aug 11, 638933 3:00 pm

I am new to this board so I will introduce myself. I am 16 week pregnant with my second child who is due on December 17, 2010. My husband and I are the proud parents of a vibrant 15 month old little boy.

I became pregnant a couple of years ago that ended at 13 weeks in a miscarriage. At that time my blood pressure was really high (180/120ish) and my doctor put me on blood pressure medication. I became pregnant again 6 months later with our son and my blood pressure again was high. My OB switched my medication to labetalol and every time I went to the doctor in my first trimester, my medication was increased due to my BP being high. During my second trimester, my BP dropped and stayed relatively low until I was 28 weeks and it was through the roof again (180/120ish). My OB saw me every few days and kept increasing my medication through the next weeks even adding methyldopa to the labetalol. I had weekly NST, blood work, and urine checks, but I did not ever do a 24 hour preeclampsia test. My OB was insistent that I did not have pre-e but just high blood pressure. I also had ultrasound every few weeks and at a 34 week ultrasound my ammonic fluid was low due to my high blood pressure. By my 36th week, my blood pressure was still high (160/110ish) and my doctor decided it was time to induce. At that point I was taking 1800 mg labetalol and 1500 mg methyldopa. My BP was high when we arrived at the hospital and they started giving me doses of labetalol through my IV but it didn’t seem to work. My readings got as high as 220/130ish. Next they gave me apresoline which worked really well and managed to keep my blood pressure at a same time until the morning after I delivered my 5lb 2oz baby boy by C-section. Other than my son being small, he was perfect!!!!!!!! The day after delivery my BP was once again high and I was given a larger dose of apresoline than the day before and no labetalol. I had a terrible reaction and my heart started racing out of control. My body temperature was increasing and my heart rate was like 185 in a matter of minutes. It scared me really bad; I could feel my heart pounding and the thumping sound in my head and ears. They counter reacted the medication with IV doses of labetalol and finally my heart was back to normal. The nurses were convinced that I had preeclampsia but my labs all came back normal. I have been on blood pressure medication every since.

Now I am once again pregnant and I am scared to go through this all again. I consider myself to be really lucky but I sometimes wonder if I should try this all again. Even though my OB insists that I did not have preeclampsia, I had every clinical sign of it (except spilling protein in my urine). I was just wondering if anyone else has had this much trouble managing their blood pressure. Currently, mine is great on 1500 mg of methyldopa but I am in my second trimester. During my first trimester, I also took 400 mg of labetalol with the methyldopa. My OB says that there is a good chance that I won’t have the trouble I did the first chance, but I doubt that.

Return to “Pregnant Again?”