MFM *

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
love_the_daschies

Re : MFM *

Postby love_the_daschies » Tue Jul 07, 638933 8:22 pm

Truthfully, I was worried about my MFM as well. I was told over and over agian how well things were going and that we would just keep watching me cloesly. Then when he thought things might be heading to PE he hospitilized me for a total of 3 times before admitting me when i was diagnositic.

So I reallyliked my doctor, but was worried he wasn't too concerned in the beginning. But he was doing everything right with biweekly us and once things headed downhill he was right there in go mode.

I did wel with the lets worry when you come to it - but everyone is different.

angieb

Postby angieb » Mon Jul 06, 638933 9:27 pm

I know what you mean. I really like my MFM. She's super conservative. She wants me on lovenox (just because, no underlying condition), monitoring my bp at home, told me to expect bedrest and plan for it now while we're still TTC, and that they are going to be watching things closely. I do not like her hospital and most especially the NICU team there (I could deal with a crappy hospital, but no way a crappy NICU team, even if it supposedly is a level III.) Even on the news the other day they called it a "baby factory". I can switch MFM's (granted, it's already been a huge headache because of stupid referral issues) and there's another really good level III NICU hospital nearby, , but I'm afraid of switching to an MFM who will be less conservative in the process. I'm going to give a new MFM a chance and see how I feel about them, and if I don't like them than I'll be finding a new OB who at least delivers at the right hospital.

I think you just have to trust your instincts on this. Keep switching until you find an MFM you like. I'm glad your ob is really good though and that your pregnancy is going well so far!

sezza

Postby sezza » Tue Jun 02, 638933 1:15 am

Hey
wow i am getting such different service than you guys. My thought that if you do not like the guy then don't go back. I am not sure how it works over there but if you feel better about your team then isn't the drive worth it rather than feeling so bad after every appt?

I only see a midwife every 2 weeks and at 28 weeks it will turn to weekly. I saw an ob at the beginning of my pregnancy but I found that it made me more stressed.

For me i figure that i had a really big dose of hellp and we got through it ( with some hefty war wounds) and it made me trust that i know when there is something wrong with my body and to get it checked out. There is no way that anyone has any idea whether i am going to get it again so i made sure that i was happy with my team which i am. it means that i do not have to relive my experience with hellp every time i see someone which i found horrific.

i am sure that others would not be so happy to just see a midwife and i would not be happy to see a bunch of drs all the time. I suppose my point is that it is your body, your pregnancy and your right to be heard and respected by those who are working with you.
good luck

breannesmith55

Postby breannesmith55 » Sat May 23, 638933 5:05 pm

I agree with you about the bp meds i do not understand why they are not putting me on them either. my bp normally runs 115/70, and its up to 130s/85 or so and even tho thats not "high yet, its high for me. I still do not understand why doctors do not use preventative measures its like they want to wait and see if we are going to get sick before they do anything. well personally I do not want to wait til my blood pressure is high to get on meds, i don't really feel like having another seizure. that stuff moves fast. but then i have to sit back and think that they are the professionals and where would we be without them. Im happy you have a great ob tho. and i wish you the best of luck to not get this crap again.

heather j
Forum Moderator

Postby heather j » Sat May 23, 638933 7:27 am

I think I read that there's another group some distance from you? Even so, I'd try to get a consult in with them just to see if the fit is better. If the MFM is going to co-manage your care through your OB, it's been done before. We've had members who've consulted with MFMs in different states during their pregnancies (Julie, for one). This may or may not be something you're willing to consider, but I'd hate for you to feel like you don't have any options. One thing that we all feel across the board after a brush with PE is a serious loss of trust in our bodies and the medical community in a lot of cases (mine, for instance). You need someone you feel you can trust - even if everything does go perfectly, you want that security that your doctors are doing the worrying for you and your baby.

brianned5

Postby brianned5 » Sat May 23, 638933 5:55 am

I never went back to the OB I had while pregnant with Kylie. I never will! When I got sick with her we were transported to a level 3 maternity hospital with a level 3 NICU. When I got pregnant again I did go to the MFM "clinic" at the hospital Kylie was delivered at. I didn't like one person there, and they wouldn't "let" me see the MFM who delivered Kylie. I had to explain about Kylie numerous times and there was just no compassion. The MFM's there gave me 50% reoccurrence of PE & 25% HELLP. They told me to prepare for another tragedy & that at the first sign of trouble they would deliver the baby. We were devastated. My mother and I searched the internet and phone book for days looking for another MFM. We found a group affiliated with another hospital. I switched to them within 3 weeks. They were different from the time I 1st saw them. I went in for a nurse's visit, just to go over everything. The nurse knew all about me, all about my previous pregnancy, she knew I was married and my husband is Aaron, she knew I had my daughter at 25 weeks and her name is Kylie and she died. She sat with us, talked to us and it was great. Before I got home there was already a message on my machine that the dr looked over my records and wanted me to start some medications and had already called them in to my pharmacy. I could go on and on about how great they were my entire pregnancy. I now have a precious 9 month old, who was born at 36 weeks. In all honesty I don't think we'd have had this outcome if I stayed with the other MFM's! It meant so much when Kyndall was delivered and they asked what her name was, and then said yourf irst daughter's name is Kylie Nicole, right? The anesthesiologist got a tissue and kept wiping my tears after Kyndall was born. When/If I get pregnant again I'm going back to them. I wish you the best of luck and hope you find an MFM you are comfortable with! It can really make a difference.

catherine
Forum Moderator

Postby catherine » Fri May 22, 638933 5:32 pm

The only thing that I found to get me through was to look backwards rather than trying to project forward. I'd always count my pregnancy from week to week so I wasn't thinking that I was at 36 weeks until it was at 36+1 because that mentally built in "wiggle room", I'd just count off the days accomplished and not look forward to the days yet to come and try and take as much comfort possible in just making it through a single wakeful night of worry and "what ifs" with a "still pregnant and no signs of trouble since yesterday" breakfast....

The days drag, and they drag horribly in the 20-30 week period but I'm hoping that you all make it to the 32-34 week zone where all of a sudden, things being ok.. the momentum speeds waay up... so that you still get caught unprepared when the time comes.... Despite 3 children, I've never yet brought a bag to a hospital... I go with a toothbrush and a hairbrush (in my purse) and happily have come home with a baby, a toothbrush and a hairbrush. Hopefully, you'll all do waaay much better than me!

ruby608

Postby ruby608 » Fri May 22, 638933 12:27 pm

I think he was also upset with me because I didn't want the NT testing. I had it last time, had normal results with Nolan and I only did it for the extra u/s bc my Mom was in town. My OB highly suggest I skip this time around due to the high rate in falso positives and it was a possible stress trigger for me.
He flipped when I said there is a high rate of false positives (saying that was a myth) so I would rather just not do it considering that was not my issue last time and Nolans chromosomes came back 100% normal.
I was just shocked he would be so upset that I didnt want testing. I wouldnt terminate anyways if it was positive. GRRR

l412angel

Postby l412angel » Fri May 22, 638933 9:07 am

Oh trust me I did the same thing and I was not even pregnant!!!

ruby608

Postby ruby608 » Thu May 21, 638933 8:38 am

I guess I am just looking too far into the future. This is going to be a LONG few months. lol

Return to “Pregnant Again?”