Baby arrived, home OK, no PE

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
jmom08

Re : Baby arrived, home OK, no PE

Postby jmom08 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 08:34 pm

Thank you again everyone! :) Caryn, he does latch, but it's shallow. Luckily I can let down OK for the pump, I'm just not getting enough to meet his demand. I met with another LC today, and identified some possible issues -- because he was so hungry those first few days with no result, and because my positioning of him apparently wasn't the best, she thinks he got used to chomping down with his little gums (so that's why I'm in pain...) & he now has less patience b/c he doesn't associate BFing with a full tummy. So we're going to try frequent pumping for now to build supply, & using a nipple shield the once or twice a day we try BFing, to try to get him to unlearn the habit. Also, she examined his mouth & thinks the membrane that connects his tongue (I forget the name) might be keeping him from sticking his tongue out as far as it could go. She said it's possible to have the membrane clipped, but I don't want to put him through that just for the sake of BFing. :( We're planning to ask at his 2 week checkup if there would be any other need to have it done (and if the pedi even thinks it's an factor -- the LC wasn't sure).

Thank you everyone for the tips and advice -- I will definitely try them!

Adriana, I have a mild protein C deficiency too -- I will be hoping for you!! :)

linasmommy

Postby linasmommy » Mon Jun 21, 2010 01:21 am

Congrats Emily! You give me hope that I can have a "take home" baby in spite of my protein C deficiency! Enjoy your little one :).

sezza

Postby sezza » Fri Jun 18, 2010 09:23 pm

CONGRATULATIONS. How very exciting.
Breast feeding can be hard to get going. Hang in there. I never had my milk come in in a big gush and I ended up breast feeding for ages.
The neonatal nurses were really supportive to getting us going were really big on diet. They said that you need stacks of protein to make milk so I would take spirilina which i think really helped. also had porridge every day and would feed my girl ALL the time. I think that she fed every hour to every 2 hours for about the first 8 months. I also did a lot of skin to skin and wore her in a sling a lot. Pretty full on but I felt that it was worth it as she grew stacks and breast feeding was really important to me.
Congratulations again!!!

amanda
Forum Moderator

Postby amanda » Fri Jun 18, 2010 06:34 pm

Congratulations! I too was successful with pumping but it did take a while and a lot of pumping to get to a decent amount. Best wishes!

anonpreemiemom

Postby anonpreemiemom » Fri Jun 18, 2010 06:07 pm

Congratulations on a PE free pregnancy! Whooppee!!

And I agree with Jennifer on the pumping. You need to do it with the little ones just to get the milk to come in. Mine took quite awhile too. I never had a fantastic supply but the pumping really helped get it adequate since my son had major sucking issues (and anyway he was 28 wks so he couldnt breastfeed in the beginning)

Best wishes again. Very happy for you!

jenmatt1

Postby jenmatt1 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 03:47 pm

Caryn I agree somewhat I would have to manually let down and then pump- but it seemed to help the milk come in and within a week, we were breastfeeding normally. I had trouble with my daughter getting her to latch on the first few days and she was in the NICU most of the time while I was in maternity ward, so pumping became a necessary evil- Then once the milk came in, it was really flowing, so I would actually have to manually express or pump an ounce or so out in order for my daughter to be able to latch. It will happen- it just takes a little time. I think for most breastfeeing mommies it takes a few weeks for you and the baby to get the hang of it.

For me, in the interim, I wasn't willing to stick with breastmilk only, so we gave formula supplements while I was trying to get it out. She took just fine to breastmilk after that.

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:33 am

Welcome Earthside to your little boy!

It's so hard to establish breastfeeding with these little ones -- will he latch and suck for a bit? FWIW, I didn't really let down for a pump, but did let down for a baby.

jmom08

Postby jmom08 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:50 am

Thanks everyone!! Jennifer, that is encouraging to hear! We visited with a couple of lactation nurses at the hospital, and I hope to make an outpatient appt after my supply comes in. Fingers crossed!

jamie w

Postby jamie w » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:26 am

Congratulations! I am glad everything went well. Enjoy the little one!

jenmatt1

Postby jenmatt1 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:06 am

congratulations- I had some issues initially with breastfeeding my daughter and I could hardly get out of bed because of the HELLP, but it helped me to pump the first few days and within a few days I was producing enough milk to feed her without any formula. If you don't have a pump, most hospitals rent them for a small charge per month. You can call the lactation consultant and she can help you. She was my best resource for breastfeeding.

Congrats again on a PE free pregnancy and your new little one.

Return to “Pregnant Again?”