Baby arrived, home OK, no PE

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
tree
Forum Moderator

Re : Baby arrived, home OK, no PE

Postby tree » Wed Jul 29, 638933 7:31 pm

Congrats on bringing your little one home safe, sound, and PE-free.
I can't help much on the feeding issues, other than to tell you again that you are not alone. It is hard. Many people make it work, and it sounds like you are on your way.
I do have lots of experience with hand/wrist problems. Depending on what is going on, you may have better luck having a PT show you some stretches and massage techniques than with the steroids. I used to spend a lot of time doing nerve glides and stretches to relieve numbness. I don't know if it works as well for carpal tunnel, but it does work when everything else is screwed up. If I were you, I wouldn't want to do anything to jeopardize the supply you worked so hard to build. You could also ask about steroid patches instead of shots. I really love those things, and they aren't supposed to get as much medicine into your bloodstream.

jmom08

Postby jmom08 » Mon Jul 20, 638933 9:12 pm

Thank you everyone, and thank you for all the support re: feeding. :) Mini-update, supply is up, exclusively pumping for 3 days straight (woohoo!). Still not brave enough to try latching again, and not sure how I'll be able to keep up with pumping when DH goes back to work... LC advised to take it one week at at time. Also, my right hand is still partly numb, so I'm wondering if I will have to get the steroid shot again (last time seemed to hurt supply). sigh. Trying not to stress. One week at a time, one week at a time... :)

brockner1

Postby brockner1 » Wed Jul 08, 638933 4:19 am

Congrats! I also have problem breastfeeding so we ended up starting formula once he was 1 month old.

love_the_daschies

Postby love_the_daschies » Tue Jul 07, 638933 9:43 pm

congrats.. PE free :) wow!

I am a pumper. I supplement with formula and pump ~75% of his daily food. It stinks being so tied to the pump while you are establishing your supply - but breastfeeding didn't work for me - pumping did.
Good luck with it - feeding issues can be so hard!

mommy2maddie

Postby mommy2maddie » Thu Jun 04, 638933 8:57 am

congrats!!! :)

mellybute

Postby mellybute » Wed Jun 03, 638933 4:07 pm

Congratulations!!! Enjoy these first few weeks with your new little boy. These last 10 1/2 months have gone by sooooooooo fast!!! Hears to no PE!! Wonderful!

jend01

Postby jend01 » Wed Jun 03, 638933 4:51 am

Congratulations!

jmom08

Postby jmom08 » Mon Jun 01, 638933 9:58 pm

Thanks Caryn & Jennifer! Yup, we've done the open open, & he does open, & latches, then immediately backs off & bites. Not so fun. No luck yet untraining him, losing motivation to keep working at it... pumping may have to be good enough, even if I can't get full supply. I'm just tired. Some antibodies are better than none, right? At least supply is getting better at pump. He's also having tummy pains, seems to be the formula (didn't have to supplement at all yesterday and the pains went away). I guess gentlease isn't gentle enough this time! Any tips on a formula switch on the days we have to supplement?
Sorry to turn this into a BFing discussion! I really am grateful he's home with me.

jenmatt1

Postby jenmatt1 » Sun May 10, 638933 10:35 pm

caryn- that open technique worked with my daughter too- I would tickle her lip with my finger to get her to open and then she would latch on better. I also was holding her in a position that was not comfortable for me (which was most common way to hold the baby during BF) so it made it more difficult to try for a while. The Lactaction consultant helped with trying different positions that we found more comfortable.

Also for us to go from pump back to breastfeeding, I would BF more often so she would not equate it with being hungry.

Keep trying- it will come. Just don't let yourself get too frustrated. Try to BF when you are calm and it will help.

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Thu Apr 30, 638933 4:04 pm

If he'll latch, I'd try leaving him on there as often as possible to build your supply. With Oscar (34 weeker) I wasn't letting down for the pump at all by a week postpartum -- diagnosed pump-resistant by two separate IBCLCs, ugh! -- so I always want to remind people that however much they're producing for a pump isn't necessarily an indication of how well they're actually producing milk.

(He put on 10 ounces in the first week even though I managed a total of 40 ml production over the course of a *day* pumping every 2.5 hours for a half hour with a Medela Lactina. So I had plenty of milk -- it just wasn't coming out for a pump, no way, no how.)

Did they teach you the "open...open...open" trick for getting his mouth open wider before you pull him up and onto the breast? That worked pretty well for Oscar's shallow latch, but I don't know how well it works in general...

Return to “Pregnant Again?”