Hi I'm NEW...have salt question!!

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
josey18

Re : Hi I'm NEW...have salt question!!

Postby josey18 » Wed Jan 08, 638927 8:30 pm

With my first pregnancy I was told to cut out salt & sugar which I did. This did not prevent my son from being born at 31 weeks. I watch my salt intake but will not restrict salt from my diet again as it is an essential electrolyte needed by our bodies.

shannas

Postby shannas » Wed Jan 08, 638927 2:55 pm

I am also on a low-sodium diet. I am 16 weeks pregnant and had preclampsia with my first. I am already severly swelling so the dr. is worried about Preclampsia again. Anyway, I was told to get under 3000mg from my dr. That is the "normal" amount that everyone should get so I set my goal for 2000mg. Well, I figured less was better so I have been averaging around 1100mg a day. My friend, who is a nurse, and I were talking and she told me to be very careful. She said that our body needs some sodium and to find out what the minimum amount is. My uncle-in-law has meiners (spelling?) and is on a low-sodium diet. I asked him what his dr. told him. He said the dr. told him to get between 1500-2000mg. As I did, he thought less was better so he was averaging 700mg a day. He said his dr. yelled at him because we have to have 1500mg a day. I don't know if that is the actual amount that everyone needs but that is what his dr. told him. I have tried to get 1500mg now daily. I am like you and counting everything and keeping a log of everything I eat. I found some bread that is 80mg a slice. it is SaraLee 45 Cal. delight. By buying all low-sodium food, I am actually struggling to get my 1500mg a day. I thought it was going to be really hard and it really isn't. Now, that changes when you try to go out to eat!!!

Good luck!

muddmomma2

Postby muddmomma2 » Tue Dec 17, 638926 10:58 am

Thanks..and yeah the amounts truly are crazy!!!...In everything!

lilysmommymindy

Postby lilysmommymindy » Mon Dec 16, 638926 2:17 pm

Oh no, nothing here! Thank God, I love sunflower seeds this time around! :) I was just told the normal pregnancy warnings about diet, like fish, lunchmeat, blah, blah, blah. Good luck with the no-salt diet!

sonja
Forum Moderator

Postby sonja » Thu Dec 05, 638926 10:00 am

It amazed me to discover how much sodium there was in bread. It seems that sodium and sugar are hiding in EVERYTHING, in way higher amounts then you would expect.

And YEAH for Alaina - it sounds like things are going great!

Take care.

muddmomma2

Postby muddmomma2 » Thu Dec 05, 638926 8:40 am

Well, I am back from my MFM appointment and baby Alaina is growing wonderfully :) She has already passed my son's birth weight and we are only 27 weeks + 3 days--wow, still hard to believe!!! She weighed 2 lbs. 8 oz. and he weighed 2 lbs. 7 oz. when he was born at 29 Weeks! EVERYTHING looked great! I did have trace amounts of protien showing, but just bearly! BP reading was good! I asked about the sodium again and she said she was pretty sure I was getting enough and to keep doing what I am doing. We have to realize that there is salt in almost everything. So by the time I add up everything I eat in a day I should be getting plenty, and an amount that seems to work well with my body!

I count the soduim in EVERYTHING from bread, milk, eggs, to fresh meats---so in the end I am still getting a fair amount! For example, if I were to have toast with breakfast, a sandwhich with lunch, and a dinner roll at supper--that is already roughly 600 mgs of salt in bread alone :(

I have also cut out all condements (except for soduim free ketchep), cheese, all processed foods, and any thing else with excess salt!!!----this has been working wonderfully for me!

sonja
Forum Moderator

Postby sonja » Fri Nov 01, 638926 1:03 am

I have no idea how much salt I was getting - I was not as good as you at all! Mostly my OB just wanted me to avoid things with excess sodium (pre-packaged foods, etc.), but not necessarily to cut back.

I have read that certain types of blood pressure issues are more sensitive to sodium then others.

Let us know what your MFM says.

muddmomma2

Postby muddmomma2 » Thu Oct 31, 638926 12:05 pm

Thank you Sonja for your reply! I am glad to hear that somone eles' doctor told them to do the same. He actually told me "no" salt, and after I got to thinking about it a little I guestioned him---he told me the amount I was getting should be fine. I am getting about 100-300 mg at the most at each meal. So one day I might have roughly 300 mg per day and on another I might have roughly 900 at the very most.

How did things go with you? How much salt did you actually restrict and did it seem to help. Did you go from bad to better after doing the salt restriction? And finally how long were you on salt restriction. Thank you again so much---I have a MFM appointment on monday, I will ask her again to clarify--but I appreciate any response!!! :)

sonja
Forum Moderator

Postby sonja » Thu Oct 31, 638926 9:01 am

Welcome. I am so glad that you found us and that you are getting information out of reading previous posts.

I am one of those gals whose OB told me to limit my solium intake, but not to cut it out as we do need some salt. Have you asked how much your OB wants you to have? I assume that you are on the far end of the spectrum - that probably when a doctor tells someone to cut out salt the usual a person will do is pass on the salt shaker every once in a while and not do the awesome job that you are doing.

Take care and let us know how you are doing.

muddmomma2

Hi I'm NEW...have salt question!!

Postby muddmomma2 » Thu Oct 31, 638926 6:42 am

Hi, I am new to the site! LOVE it though! My back ground...I was diagnoised with sever Pre-e at 29 weeks + 1 day and delivered at 29 weeks +3 days! It was a very sudden onset, mainly because I wasn't aware of the symptoms at the time (but you can believe I am now!) My son is now 2 and wonderfully healthy! He has done great, despite his permaturity! We are now pregnant for the second time! I am currently 27 weeks today--yay! :) My blood pressure statred to elevate a little around 22 1/2 weeks :( 130/85ish maybe slightly higher. I was told to rest as much as possible and NO salt, so I have cut out salt almost completely. I eat foods that are soduim free or at least very low. I have taken this very seriously---I have even limited all foods with sodium including milk, and breads because they sodium...but I take a calcium supplement and try to eat grains in other ways...I am still eating very healthy...lots off fresh or frozen fruits and veggies...and everything prepared wiht NO salt---this HAS been working really well for me! My blood pressure has been wonderful since I have been resting and eating No salt--or at least a very little---it has been almost 5 weeks :) I have had ONE bp spike since...but I had been up doing a little more than I had been and ate a little more salt than I had been!

My question is has anyone also been on a salt restricted deit while pregnant and done okay...I have read SO MANY post saying salt restriction during pregnancy is horrible! I am a little worried that it could cause me problems, but so far it has seemed to be working great! Both my regualr OB and MFM recommended I do this!

I forgot to mention that I also had trace amounts of protien showing at 22 weeks, but since resting and No salt...I have NONE showing!

I would really love to hear from someone who HAS had a good experience from a similiar situation with no salt and had no other problems as a result! Thank you all in advance!

Return to “Pregnant Again?”