Chronic Hypertensive: What meds are you on?

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
lukesmom06

Re : Chronic Hypertensive: What meds are you on?

Postby lukesmom06 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:11 am

Thanks for the replies.
I haven't even heard of Atenolol

My RE is the one who said no Labetalol until second trimester. I didn't have the greatest care last time from my OB and I have a new one and will be closely monitored once I am pregnant.

I was never stable on methyldopa before either, Procardia wasn't even added until I was admitted into the hospital with Luke.

Thanks for the info, I am off to search on Atenolol

dovetail5858

Postby dovetail5858 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:21 pm

I was on methyldopa during my last pregnancy. It never controlled my BP very well either. This pregnancy I am on Bystolic which is a betablocker very similar to atenolol.

jenniferf

Postby jenniferf » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:02 pm

I was on Methyldopa & Labetolol during my last pregnancy. Now I'm just on Labetolol.

trish
Forum Moderator

Postby trish » Tue Apr 06, 2010 05:14 pm

I was on labetalol my entire last pregnancy. I wasn't expecting to be pregnant again & was actually on Lysinopril, a category D BP med in pregnancy. My OB switched me to labetalol as soon as I knew I was pregnant (which was like the day before my period was due).

rosalinda

Postby rosalinda » Tue Apr 06, 2010 01:10 pm

I too am on Atenolol, and my doctor will add Nifedipine (procardia) if at some point I need another med added.

I am very comfortable with these meds, and I have used them when not pregnant as well.

rebecca2

Postby rebecca2 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:37 am

Who said no to Labetalol during the first trimester? Your OB or RE? My RE was hesitant about Labetalol during the 1st T because of the classification and told me to speak with my OB. I spoke with my OB & MFM and they both said it was safe to take during the 1st T. In fact, I think it has actually been used during pregnancy for a much longer time than some of the other meds. (Although some of the other meds are better at controlling BP's in some women.) Anyway, I've been on Labetalol throughout this pregnancy and will be 29 weeks tomorrow.

babyemsmom

Postby babyemsmom » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:23 am

I took Methyldopa most of my pregnancy and then was switched to procardia. I think there are several girls on here that have taken it.

sonja
Forum Moderator

Postby sonja » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:16 am

Atenolol.

I hope that you find something that works. Best of luck to you.

lukesmom06

Chronic Hypertensive: What meds are you on?

Postby lukesmom06 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 09:54 am

After being haveing PE with Luke, I never did return to a normal BP. We are doing a medicated cycle as a last ditch effort to get pregnant before 40. They just switched me to Methyldopa and it doesn't seem to control my BP as well as Diovan/HCT did, but they said no labetelol until after the first trimester.

For those of you who are chronic hypertensive, do you mind sharing what your Doc put you on?

Thanks!

Return to “Pregnant Again?”