please help

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
aggie95mom

Re : please help

Postby aggie95mom » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:28 am

Depending on where you live, there may be a peri/MFM on staff at your local facility or they can refer you out to a private practice. I hope your husband is able to be with you this time. I'm just a few weeks ahead of you (9 weeks today) and my husband is deployed to Afghanistan until next March so I, too, will be relying on my friends to help me make it through.

Not knowing your medical facility, please make sure they give you a referral to a MFM/peri. I've heard some like to 'wait and see', but a few of my friends have been a squeaky wheel and received their referrals at their initial visits. In my opinion, it's one of the best things you can do for yourself care wise. Those doctors are well trained/skilled in taking care of women with pree and I know it has helped ease my anxiety knowing I'm in really good, knowledgable hands.

l412angel

Postby l412angel » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:38 am

Ok well first off If your BP is high now, they will most likely consider you cronic hypertensive...in that case they can put you on meds for your entire pregnancy to manage your BP.

Second, A MFM or Peri doctor is a maternal fetal medicine who deals with high risk patients. With your history I would ask to see a MFM.

Take a deep breath and know that worrying will not solve anything (I know I know easier said than done) Like I said above I would get a BP machine at home and monitor your BP.

I would also ask your doctor if you should take baby asprin, that has been said to help blood flow in PE patients.

For this pregnancy to go smoother your doctor should monitor you much closer, lots of ultrasounds. Bed rest has been thought to help as well.

klutsyone01

Postby klutsyone01 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:22 am

my first doctors fisit is april 21. they make you wait forever to see the doctor. i am only 6 weeks along with this one but fear of pre e is eating me alive. i didnt have hypertension before my son. my early bps with him were around 117/80ish. but by my early 3rd trimester it was steadily 146/100. thats a huge gap. but i didnt know that it was unusual. what is a pertalogist? ive never heard one. what all can the doctor do to make this pregnancy go smoother? what can the doctor do if i start to develope pre e again?

amanda
Forum Moderator

Postby amanda » Wed Mar 24, 2010 09:52 am

Laura has really hit it on the head with the suggestions! Let me also say that I am so sorry that you are having such a hard time with care - that makes it much harder.

There might be reasons why your BP is allowed to go a little higher than others - for example if you are chronically hypertensive and had moderate BP (something like 140/90) then they wouldn't want to lower your pressures - low pressures can be as bad as high pressures - lowering pressures too much can reduce oxygen to the baby. That said, the way that the doctor explained it to me was that a slight variation would be okay (let's say between 140/90 to 150/100) but that anything over that would warrant medical intervention.

As far as proteinuria - it's really just a soft marker but that, along with high blood pressure and/or liver function declining that's a totally different story. It's the sum of everything rolled up together as to how carefully they tread the line between delivery versus going farther in the pregnancy.

When is your next appointment? Where are you in your pregnancy right now?

lilysmommymindy

Postby lilysmommymindy » Wed Mar 24, 2010 01:34 am

Wow...sorry to hear your story...that's scary they didn't take it seriously and it developed the way it did. I think the previous post hit it on the head. You should ask to be seen by a perinatologist as well as your ob, take baseline labs, monitor your bp at home and demand the care you deserve! Congrats on your pregnancy and wishing you a healthy nine months!

l412angel

Postby l412angel » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:37 pm

Hi there! Everyone is different in their % of getting PE again.
I would ask your doc that one.

Have you been tested for any underlying conditions? What is your current BP?

I would get a at home BP monitor and monitor yourself at home.

I would find out what your "CALL IN" #'s for BP's are.

I would also ask to have 24 hour urine's done often as well as blood work to check for elevated liver enzymes.

How far along are you?

klutsyone01

please help

Postby klutsyone01 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 09:25 pm

Here is my story. i started developing pre e around my late 20's weeks. my bp just kept rising. i wasn't swelling badly but vision was blurry and i saw spots. the team of nurse practitioners that i saw ( not alot of choice cause I'm military) just brushed it off. the didn't take urine sample at any of my apts. at barely 32 weeks my bp was a constant 146/100. they took a 24 hour protein panel. they reported back that even though my bp was bad and i was spilling protein i was just under the 300 marker that means pre e. i was sent back to work full time and told i was fine. in the military you cant just call in sick the doctor has to put you on bed rest. so back to work i went. at barely 34 week i developed a migraine and could barely move. i threw up all that night and by my rib gage was killing me. i had a friend drive me to the hospital as husband is stationed across country from me. when i got to l & D my bp was 200/ 120. the immediately put me on mag and induced me. i asked why they didn't do a c section, they replied that they were too worried that i would bleed out. i never found out the level of protein i was spilling or the end diagnostic. i am now pregnant again seven months later. i have been marked as high risk. however we dint see the doctor until 10 weeks. my bp never went back down to totaly normal, i narrowly avoid meds. I'm at 33 bmi. my aunt also had pre e. its the same father. what are the odds i get it again? what all should i bring up with the doctor when i see him? any comfort out there?

Return to “Pregnant Again?”