curious...chest pressure w/ contractions?

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
sonja
Forum Moderator

Re : curious...chest pressure w/ contractions?

Postby sonja » Fri Jun 04, 2004 10:09 am

Yes - I too was on Atenolol for this pregnancy and when I had my last peri visit he asked if I ever felt my heart racing, I told him that the only time I did was wehn I had braxton hix contractions - I too knew when they were coming because my heart would race beforehand. He told me that it was totally normal and that when you have a contractions you have 500 cc's of blood in your uterus that has to go somewhere and it makes your heart race. I would not worry about it - it is totally normal according to my peri and I don't remember it once the contractions were real, but then again through the pain I probably would not have noticed.

Joy

amjeang

Postby amjeang » Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:13 am

Hi Jen, I did have chest pressure, but I also have a heart problem so I am probably not the best expert there.

I wanted to write back cuz I noticed you said you were on atenolol. I was put on atenolol after I had the angioplasty in my heart, but when I found out I was pregnant again they took me off of it.

They said either an aldomet or labeletol (sp?) would be safer??

jmarbut

Postby jmarbut » Mon May 31, 2004 03:17 pm

sorry...my fingers jumped ahead on that one! Thanks for the feedback, it feels good to know someone else has experienced the same thing. Jennifer, did you ever receive an explanation for why this happens? Rebecca, thanks for the delivery info. Due to PE being postpartum with the first, I'm anxious to see how this plays out during my delivery. It looks like you ladies are due a few days apart - how exciting! Please let keep me updated on how you're feeling.

jmarbut

Postby jmarbut » Mon May 31, 2004 02:24 pm

thanks!

jenn122

Postby jenn122 » Mon May 31, 2004 02:58 am

Yep! I thought I was crazy, so I'm glad its not just me. When I have a contraction everything including my chest tightens up and my heart seems to beat faster.

Jennifer

EDD #2 August 4, 2004 - PIH

Alayna Rosetta June 27, 2001
born at 36wks due to severe preeclampsia
http://www.geocities.com/alaynarosetta

3preemiekidz

Postby 3preemiekidz » Sun May 30, 2004 07:03 pm

YES, when I was in labor I kept telling the nurses that my chest felt heavy when I'd have a contraction. They had no explanation for it. One of the Dr's put me on oxygen and gave me an aspirin which actually seemed to help. He seemed to think it was my heart racing from the contractions and somehow I could feel it. Has the baby dropped? Mine hasn't yet and when I get braxton hicks I feel like my chest is caving in. I was hoping when the baby drops that it would go away. The baby never dropped with my other pregnancies.

Rebecca
Mom to Audri 4,
Ezra 2 1/2,
Liya 1
and #4 EDD 8/1/04
born at 35, 29 and 31 weeks due to Pre-e/HELLP

angelkat

Postby angelkat » Sun May 30, 2004 04:55 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum...

I have never heard of it happening but that doesn't mean that it doesn't.... Congrats on making it this far!!!

Hugs
~T
Moderator Grief and Loss
Mommy to
Drew(13)PE 37 wks
Ky (11)PE 34 wks
~i~ Katlyne(12/9/02-04/02/03)25 wks
Casey Looking at Aug
Katlyne's Tribute Site
http://forevernetwork.com/lifestories/l ... ope&Sort=V

jmarbut

curious...chest pressure w/ contractions?

Postby jmarbut » Sun May 30, 2004 04:43 pm

Hi All,

I'm pregnant w/ our second child. I had postpartum PE with the first. I'm taking atenolol with this one and for the most part feeling great (35 wks today -yahoo!)

My question is this, has anyone experienced chest pressure with braxton hicks or labor contractions? The nurses and Docs don't seem to have an explanation. I can always tell when a contraction is about to happen because my chest seems to tighten or pulse race right before the belly tightens? Is this ringing a bell to anyone...or have I lost my mind?

Thanks ladies! :)

I appreciate all your support!!

Return to “Pregnant Again?”