Lovenox???

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
hols537

Re : Lovenox???

Postby hols537 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 06:04 pm

I'm jumping in a little late here, but thought I'd share a little anyways. I didn't start Lovenox until 16 weeks and had to have a c/s. I was switched to Heparin around 36 weeks because it clears the system faster than Lovenox (but also required 2 shots per day) in case I went into labor. I had a classic c/s my first time, so if I went into labor before my scheduled c/s at 39w, they would deliver by c/s right away. As it turned out, it was good I switched when I did. I went into labor at nearly 38 weeks. I had taken my Heparin a couple of hours before I got to L&D so they tried to slow/stop the labor for a few hours to do the bloodwork to be sure it was safe for surgery. In fact, without an emergency, the anesthesiologist wouldn't even bother with me or my bloodwork until 6 hours past the last dose. I laugh a little because the waiting pushed us past the 38 week mark :)

sharon24

Postby sharon24 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 05:49 pm

Thank you all for the info. I'm supposed to hear from the MFM Monday to set up an appt. I use a reg OB and the MFM follows me beacuse of my diabetes. They only take over if there is a problem. They have taken over all of pgs so far so I should probably just go to them but I can't stand them. Unfortunately they are the only group around here an have all 20 of the MFM drs and unfortunately one is more arrogant than the next. UGH! I'm noticing that most of you started taking Lovenox very early on. I'm already 12 weeks. Do you think that it's too late? Also are there any problems with having a c-sect? I know the dr said they would switch me to Heparin at the end of the pg, not sure why. Any problems with getting an epidural because I think I read that this could be a problem. Thanks for your help. I'm sorry I know I'm probably rambling but I'm trying to find out as much as I can. I'd like to do whatever I can not to go through this again.

haileysmom

Postby haileysmom » Fri Oct 02, 2009 04:41 pm

I have FVL also (one copy of the gene) and was on Lovenox during my 2nd pregnancy starting at 6 wks. I took a low preventative dose once daily. I never went on to develop PIH, PE or HELLP and had no major issues. good luck!

jhfleet

Postby jhfleet » Fri Oct 02, 2009 04:24 pm

Hi Sharon,
I also have Factor V Leiden whcih was diagnosed after my second pregnancy. I am currently 26 weeks pregnant with #3 and have been on lovenox shots for about the last 23 weeks. I really have not found the shots to be that bad. At first I used to numb the spot with some ice before injecting, but now I just go for it. I try to find a spot lower on the belly that is a little numb due to c-section. I am hoping that the lovenox helps me avoid pree/Hellp. Currently I am doing pretty good. I do not have the bad swelling and general yucky feeling that I did in my preganancy the last time around the same time period. I am not sure what the stats say about how successful lovenox is in preventing pe but at least I feel like I am doing all that I can. Also, I know that I am at a higher risk of a clot (esp when pregnant) and the lovenox should help avoid that.
Good Luck!

sonja
Forum Moderator

Postby sonja » Fri Oct 02, 2009 03:38 pm

Welcome and congratulations on your pregnancy. It is scary going through a pregnancy after having a less than normal pregnancy. There are lots of gals around here that have been on Lovenox - I am sure that you will get lots of stories.

Do you have a high risk OB (Peri or MFM)? It is recommened that gals that have had pre-e would really benifit from seeing one.

Take care and let us know how you are doing.

cheda28

Postby cheda28 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 03:37 pm

This is my second pregnancy on Lovenox. Our first baby was still born at 22 weeks and I was diagnosed with APS. The 2nd pregnancy we started on Lovenox as soon as we found out I was pregnant. We had our healthy son at 33 weeks 4 days. I am now 34 weeks pregnant and again on Lovenox. The side affects I worried about is the osteoporosis, which they will tell you take additional calcium to help prevent it. You will have blood drawn to test how thick or thin your blood is about every 4 weeks, maybe sooner if they change your volume of lovenox. Before you deliver they will switch you to heparin, which leaves your system sooner than lovenox. The shots do hurt and you will probably see big bruises and maybe knots, but they do go away. If you have any specific questions feel free to ask. Best of luck!

julieb

Postby julieb » Fri Oct 02, 2009 02:23 pm

I'm on Lovenox now but I have only been on it for a week and I was not on it for my first pregnancy. I have 2 clotting disorders that we found while I was pregnant with Mason so I knew I would be on Lovenox this time around as well as low dose aspirin. I have not looked up Lovenox and the bad side effects in pregnancy because I don't really want to know! Mason was born so early and tiny and my doctors think that Lovenox will help me have a healthier outcome for baby and me. I am 7 weeks today and started Lovenox 8 days ago...so far it is not fun but hopefully it will help!!

kbunsey

Postby kbunsey » Fri Oct 02, 2009 02:19 pm

Stay off the Internet if you can. I've seen a decent amount of Lovenox around here. I'm sure somebody will jump in soon. Do some breathing. I've found a nice bath helps - not too hot. Wishing you well.

sharon24

Lovenox???

Postby sharon24 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 02:01 pm

I recently found out I was pg again (12 weeks now). Shocked since we were not trying and I usually have trouble conceiving, and terrified since my last pg I developed severe pre e and Hellp (delivered at 30 weeks)and really did not want to go through that again. Last visit my new ob took my history I am a Type 1 Diabetic, (1st pg developed a blood clot after delivery, 2nd pg unexplained preterm labor, 3rd and 4th miscarriages 1st tri, 5th Pre-e and Hellp. He decided to test me for any clotting issues and I came back positive for Factor V Leiden. He is suggesting that I go on Lovenox to prevent any problems. Is anyone taking this or have any experience with this. Looking up stuff on the internet is scaring me more.
Thanks -- Sharon

Return to “Pregnant Again?”